Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
Jade Shadows: Known Issues ×

Newbs Should Not Be Allowed To Play On Mid-High Level Planets.

GSrevolution

While the picture seems to show extremes I don't think this is much of an issue. To be honest that one in particular was probably a result of him possibly being pulled there by someone else in his group since he should have been around 25-30 before being able to touch that level. 

The whole mk-1 braton, skana, lato, starter frame, and mastery rank <2 thing doesn't make a whole lot of sense though since it takes awhile to farm up and build weapons/warframes. If you limit based on mastery rank you are just locking out players who may have just plowed through content wait potentially days after they reached that cap to progress onwards. Not to mention quite a bit of the farming areas to actually GET the weapons are in the areas you intend to have blocked off.

@ random_noob

I've already made suggestions elsewhere in the forums that DE should provide damage mods for free to all players when they start they game, or make them easier to find, from all three factions. Effectively, make Serration/Hornet Strike common, even if it says uncommon on the card. These mods are just too important to a player's progression in the game to leave getting them up to chance.

@Jharlequin

If mastery were more representative of skill then a mastery lock wouldn't be a problem I think. Wouldn't hinder good players at all and bad players would have to practice and level their gear some more before moving on.

The better question is, How did they get there in the first place. "Newbs" can't get in there on their own, because they wouldn't have even unlocked that planet.

So obviously, someone must have brought them there.

There's already a system to keep newbs from getting to those planets. It's called having the star chart locked. The people who are bypassing it are not the newbs, but the experienced players who are inviting their friends to play high level planets so they can power level.

Power level? the only thing you do when leveling is farm LOW level survival.. like.. MERCURY.  No one farms high level planets for leveling. and as you can see by the OP's post... they cant even kill anything... thats not leveling thats leeching. 

I spend most of my time leveling equipment... in saturn/earth/mercury/jupiter survivals. NEVER EVER do i go near pluto to level anything. new weapons without potatoes and mods cant kill anything on pluto.

I don't want to be a burden so I have a route fleshed out for leveling fresh or forma'd items:

Apollodorus till 10 - 15 

Cassini till 30

Xini 20+ when I am bored of Survival

Even if you don't have an affinity booster tied to your account, it's still quite fast especially if you get the ball rolling with a group that can last 20+ minutes. While you would still be getting carried to a certain extent (Unless you have a potato and aura to stack health/shield), it doesn't really cripple the rest of the group especially if one or more of the others players are doing it to farm materials or are only grinding their Frame.

There is such a great gambit of opinions here and nice to see here and thoughts in other threads.

A) Mastery Rank means nothing.

B) Plenty of well modded, high mastery players are just bad.

C) A ~level 7 serration on any main weapon and a bit of ability is enough to help on a mission on 3/4 of the planets.

D) Having one or two dead weights to carry through a mission is NOT an actual burden, especially on invasions.

E) Clearing the star chart is a boring grind and players shouldn't be punished for not wanting to do yet another rescue mission.

There is just not a real issue here that needs solving.  So a lowbie showed up on a high level mission and couldn't do squat.  Ignore him and move on.

If something like this were to be integrated then they should make conclave ratings on all nodes.  You can't be above or below a certain rating to do a mission.  No more taking all your top OP stuff to Venus to make yourself feel better, you will have to town down the gear some.

So.. have a memory when i was 1mastery rank and try nightmare mode(i know, Venus its not the same as Pluto\Ceres, but same enemy lvl and nightmare terms) for the first time. Most of the run i lay down and two kindly rhinos revive me everytime. Even remember that i received rending strike from that run. Was so excited, cause really good mod for newbie and a loki user. Now lets imagine those rhino players dont give a damn about me, dont revive me and whine in chat how i messed up they nightmare mod fast run, and then force me to leave by leaving themselves - how excited would i be then?

edit: my point is: dont think only about yourself, or dont play in online mode.

Edited by Sormaran

There is such a great gambit of opinions here and nice to see here and thoughts in other threads.

A) Mastery Rank means nothing.

B) Plenty of well modded, high mastery players are just bad.

C) A ~level 7 serration on any main weapon and a bit of ability is enough to help on a mission on 3/4 of the planets.

D) Having one or two dead weights to carry through a mission is NOT an actual burden, especially on invasions.

E) Clearing the star chart is a boring grind and players shouldn't be punished for not wanting to do yet another rescue mission.

There is just not a real issue here that needs solving.  So a lowbie showed up on a high level mission and couldn't do squat.  Ignore him and move on.

If something like this were to be integrated then they should make conclave ratings on all nodes.  You can't be above or below a certain rating to do a mission.  No more taking all your top OP stuff to Venus to make yourself feel better, you will have to town down the gear some.

A) means something, but not much. loses its value beyond "okay that player is not a complete newb".

B) agree, this is why mastery must be tied to skill somehow, not leveling stuff.

C) agree (too bad so many people have problems getting it)

D) might be a problem with the game's difficulty then. too easy for vets, too hard for newbs.

E) Sounds like DE should work on some of these game modes and bring back infested :P

I completely agree with Wahoo's points. 

While the OP does think there's a problem here, there are already mechanics that can prevent the 'undesirable' behaviour. 

Besides what Wahoo said, there is also: 

INVITE ONLY.

Play with friends. No strangers will bump into your game. Problem solved. 

I am part of a Clan and we regularly play together. We also power-level new warframes, using just this, because it's such a boring grind! Sometimes. But everyone agrees to it, and the low-level warframe suddenly is not someone to be scorned at, because we are all helping each other. Once we build our next warframe it's our turn to power level.

Soooooo... It's a non-issue. 

I support GSrevolution's point.

The game is supposed to have a certain development. It's not like you can't play without serration/hornet/forma/potato in your first 2 weeks.

Sure you can play alone or with clanmates but it's not always the case - sometimes buddies aren't around, and doing things in team speed up stuff like Invasions. I remember a patch once included something about matching similar-rank players so newbies would not get overwhelmed by people with OP and flashy stuff, guess it's not fully working.

And as mentioned in other threads, give new players some special, slightly more interesting (difficult) missions to reward them the basic mods, just like uncle Vor generously hands us the Cronus blueprint, or add them to Apollodorus droptable. I remember helping a freshly joined buddy do a cap in Mercury, and the reward was ammo restore (or something like that) it could work that way too.

My vote: They may access the planet, but don't give rewards or XP if they don't have the planet unlocked, and also don't leave it unlocked after the run. If you want to help, you can run the planets they have unlocked with them. Let the players play the game; this isn't Minecraft where newbies need to be given free cookies.

If you tie it to mastery rank, what should prevent someone of mastery level 6 to appear with a load of unranked weapons in an unranked frame - in theory.

Of course no one would do that, because just twenty minutes of Apollodorus a few times and you have an OK level again.

Perhaps the only sensible approach - even though I don't see any problem with new players at all - is that in Online mode you could only join games where you have progressed through the whole way. And then still I could use a crap loadout.

I wouldn't even assume that it is always new players that jump into missions out of their league. I remember I forgot to switch frame once and there I was with my unranked Nova. It was challenging.

I hardly do play online mode though. I play with my friends, which are all members of our clan. ;)

Edited by Fezairin

Good chance he was just giving invasions a shot, and learned from the experience that a/he should try something easier for a while.

It's a learning experience.

Yes leave it at this. It is rare to find complete noobs at those levels. Just be a better person and help them through it so they can learn the ropes.

Just start a different session after and hope you don't get them In party again if it really bothers you.

And at the same time you can almost fully expect that if the noob is with a friend, that his friend has already anticipated that he is going to need to carry his noob friends weight. Invasions give the best rewards if you're a noob. Don't restrict them from loot cause you are no longer noob.

I'm only for it if we mastery lock it so that nobody leaves mercury until mr10. The percentage of truly awful players above mr10 is very few.

The percentage below, who have no business being in the rest of the game, is staggeringly high.

I have had far too many players who are rank 8 and ABSOLUTELY WORTHLESS. I've had them in parties along with a rank 0 who massively out-performs them.

That's not saying *everyone* on rank 8 sucks royally, but there's enough that if we're getting rank locked planets, dammit, I want those n00bs to stay away. They do not deserve to be wandering the solarsystem.

Otherwise, I'm completely against it. There's no point in pretending that rank actually defines "n00b" when the problematic people can easily progress by merely running down the middle of a hallway shooting things. You get exp just for showing up, and if you manage to vaguely follow the players on your team, you make a lot more. Farming <insert popular defense mission of the moment> infinitely does not make you good. It's a popular way to rank up, though.

So long as you can do something gimpy like that, there will NEVER be a point to rank locking.

Bad idea. So unfair for non-paying customers.

Even at this point I can't do the mastery missions on my lvl20 Mag. She has crafted gear, but still lacking dps.

Then I tried it with bundle Oberon and it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Mastery missions should have better scaling to your gear. The cap from F2P to P2P felt huge.

Also note that people need to get into these middle level areas to farm for the frame they actually want. Or to get weapons needed to increase mastery.

EDIT: Did realise after I post this that there is only criticsm, not ideas on how to solve this ongoign issue:

Allow people to invite others into their maps if both are on Private mode.

And when "lowbie" does the map with a experienced friend the map is unloced only on Private/Offline mode.

For Online mode the lowbie needs to clear the way into the content.

Edited by OneMember

The better question is, How did they get there in the first place. "Newbs" can't get in there on their own, because they wouldn't have even unlocked that planet.

So obviously, someone must have brought them there.

There's already a system to keep newbs from getting to those planets. It's called having the star chart locked. The people who are bypassing it are not the newbs, but the experienced players who are inviting their friends to play high level planets so they can power level.

*Raucous Applause*