Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How To Make Nova Fair And No Longer Op

LunchBoxKilla

Yes nova is OP. OP to the ___ max.

My suggestion is make it a cone of AOE from its crosshair with a short cool down to prevent "PRESS 4 TO WIN!". 

"B B B ITS NOT OP ON T3 DEF!" 

Yeah keep saying that to help you sleep.. I have done t3's with a nova and every time I say "I got a nova!" I get invites to it on the spot... Hell I even refused to do a T3 def with my clan with out a nova. 

In doom squad we have a name for Nova. 

"Fun Police"

All they do cast MP and soak up all those kills to the point its no longer to fun to play with them.

Edited by LunchBoxKilla

the funny thing is 2 does more damage.  i guess you don't play a nova?

it's funny you say nova does too much damage but still take them lol.  even if they lower the damage, the next warframe will be top damage and players will complains.  thats how it's always been.  in world of warcraft it's rogue do too much, nerf.  mages do too much damage, nerf.

if one warframe does a lot of damage why complain?  they help missions get done faster.  players want to do missions slower?

Edited by Pure

If you don't want to play with Novas, don't. Play with friends, start a "No Nova" clan, whatever. You say it's no longer fun to play with them. Then DONT. Don't ask for the game to be changed, just to suit you.

The squeaky wheels are always going to be squeaky. Don't ruin the experience for those who like the frame as it is.

Edited by (PS4)MatangoMushrooms

Nova herself is not OP

Molecular Prime is OP

I dont know why people skip over Antimatter drop

4x the damage in the form of a controllable radioactive death star nuke

With an open door you can move it at least into the next room and around the corner

yet no one uses it

anyway I dont think making it as a cone it the best idea

I do think that throwing a timer on the debuffs and lower the damage percentage from detonation + a cool down that lasts as long as the debuff

We have actually been discussing the nova in my clan quite a bit.

The way we see it M prime can be broken down into 3 elements:

1. Damage Debuff  (arguably the most useful part because scaling)

2. Slowing Effect (Useful utility and great for catching large groups close to each other)

3. Explosion on death (the Fun part...KABOOM)

M-prime is a bit Overpowered when compared to most other ults, BUT it is only over powered because of the combination of all three above elements.  we've discussed the various combinations and the general consensus is that you just remove the slow, retain the Boom and the Debuff and adjust from there.  The main reason for this is that the slow allows enemies to spread out faster and run down the eminently squishy nova, the bottom line being the power stays powerful but no longer "does it all".

The alternate solution which had me laughing my &#! off because of how funny it was.... Mprime's explosion causes self damage like a penta, seriously though lol.

If you're worried about someone 'taking kills' in a co-op game, I think you have some issues to work out. Be glad they're actually trying to get Mission Completion! My only annoyance is when people decide they only need to rush to the exit without looting some lockers and containers, but I guess some people don't want to get resources and whatnot.

If you're worried about someone 'taking kills' in a co-op game, I think you have some issues to work out. Be glad they're actually trying to get Mission Completion! My only annoyance is when people decide they only need to rush to the exit without looting some lockers and containers, but I guess some people don't want to get resources and whatnot.

It's not really about 'taking kills', hell we actually encourage the 'sacrificial nova' in my clan as a rotating position of the guy who takes the xp hit to help level the rest of the group level weapons.  But that is when we all agree that that is what we want to do.

The discussion about M-Prime is about balance and to some extent fun(quality of gaming).  The first element is easy, M-prime is objectively more powerful than almost anything else, when that happens you need to look at the element out of whack and adjust it accordingly.  The second is a bit more stick, If you have one player spamming a power like M-Prime and literally killing everything, it is objectively good for the mission and xp gain for the teammates, but it may actively be destroying the fun of those other players if that is not what they are after.  

As much as I advocate finding people to play with and making private games (i personally have played less than 5 hours of public games in my 700 hours in mission) It is still important that things be balanced enough that if everybody is trying everybody at least gets a chance to contribute, some powers like M-prime can actively prevent that in most standard missions and that is a design problem.

Edited by Agent_of_Change

In doom squad we have a name for Nova. 

"Fun Police"

All they do cast MP and soak up all those kills to the point its no longer to fun to play with them.

This^

Novas spamming MP in games are a pain in the arse. Usually goes something like "oh look, enemies.... melted." Next spawn melted etc. I might as well just go sit in the corner and leave the game to make a cup of coffee (I've actually done this) Anti matter drop isn't much better, but it's at least limited somewhat to clustered targets. 

Basing Nova round whether it's a good frame at lvl 50+ is horribly flawed considering it renders all other content outside of T3 defence, Nightmare mode etc. utterly irrelevant. Which seems to be what people miss when pointing out that Nova is OP at anything under lvl 40 she'll simply destroy everything.

I mean what's the point of using Nyx's Chaos/ Absorb, Nekros' SotD or like abilities when Nova's going to wipe all enemies out in seconds anyway? 

Edited by (PS4)billy-d-squid

It's not really about 'taking kills', hell we actually encourage the 'sacrificial nova' in my clan as a rotating position of the guy who takes the xp hit to help level the rest of the group level weapons.  But that is when we all agree that that is what we want to do.

The discussion about M-Prime is about balance and to some extent fun(quality of gaming).  The first element is easy, M-prime is objectively more powerful than almost anything else, when that happens you need to look at the element out of whack and adjust it accordingly.  The second is a bit more stick, If you have one player spamming a power like M-Prime and literally killing everything, it is objectively good for the mission and xp gain for the teammates, but it may actively be destroying the fun of those other players if that is not what they are after.  

As much as I advocate finding people to play with and making private games (i personally have played less than 5 hours of public games in my 700 hours in mission) It is still important that things be balanced enough that if everybody is trying everybody at least gets a chance to contribute, some powers like M-prime can actively prevent that in most standard missions and that is a design problem.

tumblr_ma133hOjND1rqp8u7.gif

[size=1]now i dont have to type up a post woop woop![/size]

Might as well nerf every other aoe ability in the game and every weapon. Just nerf everything back to the stone age.

Seriously though, have you even tried playing this game past lvl 50 mobs? The game is dull on any Warframe till then.

Edited by Hadronox

Spamming in general is a bad practice in this game which they obviously have been trying to downgrade with lowering the amount of energy drops from containers.

but it still isnt enough.

If they change Nova's ultimate they will need to still consider that other frames have this spammiblity. 

In no way am I trying to throw a get out of jail free card at Nova. I play her quite a bit and I can tell how strong her ability can be due to the near instant annihilation of every enemy on the field.

Im just saying that spamming ults isnt healthy practice, Nova just happens to be at the front end of this situation because of her ability.