Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Proposed Rebalance For Soma/supra

LastSeraph

To start off with, here's a basic recap of the two guns (which as we all know, are both aimed at endgame use):

Soma

Mastery 6

3.0sec reload speed (1.5sec effective)

3x/30% base crit

7% status chance

Incredibly accurate

Hitscan

Available in market

DPSframe listed dps 13028

Supra

Mastery 7

4.2 sec (3.15sec effective)

1.5x/2.5% crit

2.5% status chance

Much less accurate

Projectile

Clantech

DPSframe listed dps 11038

Why don't we switch the accuracy of the two guns, keeping everything else the same? (although admittedly it wouldn't hurt if Soma was fixed to only allow full reload at the 3/4 point like every other gun.) This way Supra becomes a high accuracy weapon with slightly lower dps, while the Soma keeps its top-tier dps while requiring slightly more skill.Thoughts?

To start off with, here's a basic recap of the two guns (which as we all know, are both aimed at endgame use):

Soma

Mastery 6

3.0sec reload speed (1.5sec effective)

3x/30% base crit

7% status chance

Incredibly accurate

Hitscan

Available in market

DPSframe listed dps 13028

Supra

Mastery 7

4.2 sec (3.15sec effective)

1.5x/2.5% crit

2.5% status chance

Much less accurate

Projectile

Clantech

DPSframe listed dps 11038

Why don't we switch the accuracy of the two guns, keeping everything else the same? (although admittedly it wouldn't hurt if Soma was fixed to only allow full reload at the 3/4 point like every other gun.) This way Supra becomes a high accuracy weapon with slightly lower dps, while the Soma keeps its top-tier dps while requiring slightly more skill.Thoughts?

Please stop asking to nerf weapons the community loves.

No, because then the idiots that can't take 5 minutes to join a clan, wait 12 hours, then get their BP, then leave would be all put off that a research weapon was almost as good as Soma.

I personally think it needs some more damage, high stat, and moar accuracy.

Why shouldn't it be almost as good as Soma? It's higher mastery and requires more materials to craft and time to obtain (if you count the clan research time).

I would rather see a hit of one base damage to the Soma and a big buff to status chance/small buff to damage to the Supra. Make it quite a bit better at proccing and make is slightly higher DPS.

I'm glad you agree that Soma needs a slight nerf and Supra needs a buff. I honestly do think that my solution would be much more elegant, however, given that it also solves the problem of Soma being a bit too easy/boring to use, as I've seen many players complain about on the forums.

Not a first time this mentioned. Still nothing is being done.

This is main DE problem - obvious (really obvious) problem are still not fixed/balanced/changed or it takes 3+ months to finally do something about that problem.

Oh, I was unaware that this had been suggested already. Thanks though!

Please stop asking to nerf weapons the community loves.

If you read through the "Which Weapon Do You Hate Most" thread that was on the front page of the forums recently, you would've seen that the Soma is currently one of the most-hated weapons. The reason in most/all of the cases? Too boring and easy to use.

Makes sense to have high damage weapon with some limiting flaws (Synapse - short range for example). 

Supra has so many flaws stacked on it but was never fixed in how long? I doubt developers care (they could have easily tweaked accuracy like they did for Tetra if they wanted) . 

Edited by Monolake

Supra wouldn't be helped by more accuracy, as it is a projectile weapon. You're not going to hit anything at range anyway, and it's current accuracy seems to hit a tidy cone (though I've never tried it with that corrupted mod).

Sorry, but I'm not really following your projectile = no need for more accuracy argument. If anything, it seems to me that projectile weapons should have higher accuracy because they're projectile, and are already at an inherent disadvantage that doesn't need to be exacerbated by not having your leading shots land where you want them to. Can you clarify?

soma already got a couple nerfs, it's still a great gun, but it doesn't need supra's terrible aim.

I don't see why a buff to the supra neds to include a nerf to the soma anyway

Which nerfs? I'm not aware of any other than the Mastery Rank change from 3 to 6, Can you link me to a source or tell me?

A buff to the supra doesn't need to include a nerf to the soma, true, but the soma does need a nerf and the supra does need a buff, and I believe this solution takes care of both problems while keeping both guns very much viable and relevant. 

No, because then the idiots that can't take 5 minutes to join a clan, wait 12 hours, then get their BP, then leave would be all put off that a research weapon was almost as good as Soma.

I personally think it needs some more damage, high stat, and moar accuracy.

Market weapon shouldn't out-do clan tech weapon. But, I'm very biased against the Soma, I think it's stupid that it's even in the game.

Elitist nonsense, being in a clan should never grant access to superior equipment. That is not why people join clans, nor should it ever be used as a carrot for that donkey. There are any number of solo players, and small groups of friends who have formed clans but do not play regularly enough to farm the required resources, and they should not feel alienated for the sake of a few blinked adolescents who want to feel superior.

As to the performance of the two weapons they are fine as they are, there are only so many ways to spin a rifle with a new skin without making things horribly skewed.

Before one of the aforementioned adolescent pipes up, I am a member of a moon clan.

Edited by HexCaliber

Elitist nonsense, being in a clan should never grant access to superior equipment. That is not why people join clans, nor should it ever be used as a carrot for that donkey. There are any number of solo players, and small groups of friends who have formed clans but do not play regularly enough to farm the required resources, and they should not feel alienated for the sake of a few blinked adolescents who want to feel superior.

As to the performance of the two weapons they are fine as they are, there are only so many ways to spin a rifle with a new skin without making things horribly skewed.

Before one of the aforementioned adolescent pipes up, I am a member of a moon clan.

As things are now, the Soma greatly outperforms the Supra - the proposed solution puts them on equal footing, more than anything else. We are fixing the skew. That is the purpose of balance, yes? 

Which nerfs? I'm not aware of any other than the Mastery Rank change from 3 to 6, Can you link me to a source or tell me?

Both the crit chance and crit damage were reduced and needless to say crit stats are everything on the soma. It happened some time after damage 2.0 I think but it's a pain to search for the correct hotfix update.

As things are now, the Soma greatly outperforms the Supra - the proposed solution puts them on equal footing, more than anything else. We are fixing the skew. That is the purpose of balance, yes? 

So you want a game full of identical weapons, no personality, but different skins; should consider a position in game development, you clearly have a knack for it.

If you want to compare the supra to anything, compare it to the gorgon, one does mostly impact damage the other puncture and both have similar dps with the edge going to supra with the higher mastery requirement, or is that not balanced enough.

Edited by HexCaliber

Both the crit chance and crit damage were reduced and needless to say crit stats are everything on the soma. It happened some time after damage 2.0 I think but it's a pain to search for the correct hotfix update.

Thanks for letting me know. Nevertheless, the Soma is still a bit too strong. It may have been stronger before, but the nerf was clearly not enough if it still leaves it egregiously stronger than other top-tier options.

So you want a game full of identical weapons, no personality, but different skins; should consider a position in game development, you clearly have a knack for it.

If you want to compare the supra to anything, compare it to the gorgon, one does mostly impact damage the other puncture and both have similar dps with the edge going to supra with the higher mastery requirement, or is that not balanced enough.

Does equal footing equal "identical weapon" now? The Soma would have high dps in exchange for a loss of accuracy, while the Supra would have lower dps in exchange for higher accuracy. The weapons are also different in reload speeds, crit chance/multipliers, status chance, and projectile speed. If we're going to sink to sarcasm, then you should consider a career in debate, you clearly have a knack for it. 

Is the gorgon mastery 6+? Is it supposed to be an endgame weapon? It is locked behind RNG, I'll grant you, but it isn't locked behind a high material cost, clan research, or mastery rank. Sorry, but your argument is full of holes.

Supra is out preformed by both Sobek and Boar prime. Supra's bullets create a cone that serves nearly the same as a shotgun's spread. Supra is a spread-fire gun that might as well be a smooth bore weapon, considering it lack of any consistence with its accuracy.

If Soma was nerfed, there would still be far more incentive to use a shotgun over Supra. This is due in no small part to how thoroughly DE compounded Supra's penalties as a means to force it into the role of a short range weapon only.

Edited by LazyKnight

DE's current "endgame" is like level 30-40, maybe level 50. What major downsides does the Soma have compared to other guns in this level range?

This is what I've never understood about the Soma. What are its downsides, exactly? Yes, it is true that if you go up to a high level enough, ammo efficiency becomes a big problem. But that's also waaaay outside the current intended endgame. From 30 to 50, you have a weapon that does incredible damage (dispatching most things with a few rounds), amazing accuracy without HC, still workable accuracy with HC, 100 rounds before reloading, a 1.5s reload time which beats many, many other weapons with far smaller mags (hell, let's look at the Tigris - 2 shots, 1.8s reload, yeah it's a double barrel shotgun, but throw it a bone).

The Soma may not necessarily be the greatest damages ever in the entire arsenal, but it is very much up there. Yes there's the whole thing with gottfraust's proc/dps chart, but truth be told I really dislike relying on procs, especially considering you cannot choose your procs (thanks, impact, for staggering the target out of the way of my LoF).

In any case, I'm not that concerned with it right now. If DE releases new levels that naturally start us off at really high level mobs, then Soma's ammo efficiency will become more highlighted, and it might not be such a big deal anymore. And pretty much any decent weapon with a potato and some Forma will rip through all content up to DE's intended endgame. Soma is just... a lot simpler and more boring to do it with.

Really, I'd rather DE take a much harder look at their screwy mod system instead of doing something like nerfing the Soma.

Guys, as a 6 forma Supra user I can say it isn't too lacking in dmg, reference time being 35 mins in T3 Survival. What it needs is its reload time reduced.

We know that it's not too lacking in damage. The point is that, at the moment, it's completely outclassed by a rifle that is both lower mastery rank and easy to obtain, which is why I'm suggesting a simple change that makes both of them more balanced. 

How about Supra is given an actual crit chance and status chance, while Soma is completely left alone? Supra could stand to have slightly faster projectiles too.

While we could directly buff the Supra's damage to much higher levels than the Soma (which we'd have to, given the Soma's reload speed and accuracy advantage) and balance it that way, doing so might trivialize content and create power creep, considering that Supra's damage is already fine where it is. Admittedly, I'm basing my statement on Supra's damage being fine on the DPSframe values, which I assume are gotten by testing with 100% rifle accuracy (every bullet hits). In my opinion, it's much more preferable to balance around existing power levels, hence the simplicity of my suggestion. 

Edited by LastSeraph