Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Gender swaps for frames

NeverDT

I'm very much in favor of a gender choice option of some kind. I simply can't enjoy a game as mich if I'm forced into specific genders for different classes. I simply dislike playing male characters so I focused on Trinity so far although I'd love to play some of the other classes.

Edited by Liandra

*face palm* ember is a female you fail

Ember is a male Warframe, Trinity and Mag are our only females at the moment.

Just because ember looks female doesn't mean he is, check your privilege cis tenno.

I would love male/female options for all warframes i play ember and trinity because there female. im female myself and it just feels awkward when i play a male. i cant relate to male characters/calsses in this kind of game which makes them less fun/bugs me.

I would love male/female options for all warframes i play ember and trinity because there female. im female myself and it just feels awkward when i play a male. i cant relate to male characters/calsses in this kind of game which makes them less fun/bugs me.

This, I've played strictly volt being as that I'm a guy and volt is also, but I'd prefer a medic role as I play in any and all games I play except lo and behold trinity is strictly a female WF. Not a terrible problem I suppose mostly just personal preference but until I'd be able to adopt medic traits and abilities to another WF, make a custom WF, or just simply swap genders I feel as though I'm stuck playing volt.

As a female player - personally I would prefer to at least have a fem-frame availible at the start of the game. Maybe this is something that will be fixed in the final release I don't know, but it seems sort of shoddy to have them in the game, but restricted to those with platinum.

I understand the argument that lore-wise, female frames should perhaps be in the minority - or that the the frames are devoid of gender - but lore or no, you still have female players such as myself, who are more comfortable relating to a feminine looking or sounding character.

Now the dev's have seen fit (kudos to them) to includ three feminine frames, I don't really see there's much we could reasonably ask them to do - other than make at least one availible as a starter.

I definatley have friends who would have been even more &!$$ed than I was to sink hours grinding Seargent Nef, before giving up and buying Mag. Alright - the game is free to play, they have to make money somehow. But don't be so sexist in your profits. Give us one fem frame to start with.

Edited by 11.11.11

You know what? I can't wait to see a beautiful stong female rhino who ain't need no male tennos. Now that would make my day.

You're not alone in wanting to see that =3 I reckon a fem excalibur would be pretty awesome too. I don't really see there'd be that much work in it for the fev's either. Just a tweak of the model/texture for some feminine proportions. They could probably use the same rig/animations as the existing fem frames, and they don't have to worry about voicework because none of the frames have any :P I'd certainly buy a female Excalibur or Loki if it was availible.

Edited by 11.11.11

Where in the game does it say that? Tenno was the name of the main protagonist, as I recall, not a race.

If you check out : https://forums.warfr...to-dark-sector/

There are some lore hints aswell from another player.

"The connection is quite apparent.

Hayden Tenno was, so to speak, the first "Tenno". He not only shares the name, but also the equipment. He is armored, has a special melee weapon, can call upon quasi-magical abilities and even wears an Excalibur suit later on.

The Technocyte virus was a major part of the story of darkSector, and is existant in the Warframe universe aswell. The Technocyte plague (apparently, it got out of hand) is the reason for the Infested. Given what we're using to craft things, Warframes are part of the Plague, but, maybe, lucky few who can channel the virus to manifest usefull abilities."

http://images.wikia.com/darksector/images/1/1a/288382_full.jpg

Edited by IHustleBones

If you check out : https://forums.warfr...to-dark-sector/

There are some lore hints aswell from another player.

"The connection is quite apparent.

Hayden Tenno was, so to speak, the first "Tenno". He not only shares the name, but also the equipment. He is armored, has a special melee weapon, can call upon quasi-magical abilities and even wears an Excalibur suit later on.

The Technocyte virus was a major part of the story of darkSector, and is existant in the Warframe universe aswell. The Technocyte plague (apparently, it got out of hand) is the reason for the Infested. Given what we're using to craft things, Warframes are part of the Plague, but, maybe, lucky few who can channel the virus to manifest usefull abilities."

http://images.wikia....288382_full.jpg

Nevertheless, there is no mention of the Tenno being a race. Anything else is speculation unless it is made official lore.

At the time of Dark Sector, there was no race called the Tenno, unless Hayden was the first, but it is never expicitly stated, nor had there been enough of him or his decendants to be considered anything other than an anomaly. The only other person who was like Tenno was Mezner. The two of them were unique in their command over the Technocyte virus. Nemesis (the picture) was controled by Mezner, not a master of the Technocyte like Tenno.

To say:

Where exactly in the lore does it state that Tenno are mostly male?

I know they're not entirely related, but it was said in their prequel Dark Sector.

...Is a falsehood.

Edited by SilverBones

Genders for all mods are probably in the works. Even so I would strongly encourage it because it helps players become attached to their in-game characters. I've tried to play Mass Effect with a female Sheperd just to experience the differences in the story arc and have yet to complete the first game with her, whereas I've completed multiple play throughs already with my male Sheperd (whom I've tried to make resemble me in appearance as close as possible). In Warframe, despite the fact that we control silent and faceless aliens, I would feel better connected to my warframes that share the same gender with me, at least.

Edited by CommissarYuin

Even so I would strongly encourage it because it helps players become attached to their in-game characters.

I'll never understand this. I see it all the time, but I have no qualms about playing as female characters. I mean, do people really think they're some space ninja doing backflips and slicing dudes in half?

Is this how you think about every novel you've ever read? Every film you've ever watched? Surely you've read, watched, and enjoyed other media with main characters of an opposing gender?

That's what I love about Warframe, the protagonists are silent, mystical killing machines, and yet they are full of rich, unique flavor. It would water their characters down if you could just flip their gender like a switch.

I think a better solution is to just have more Warframes of equal genders (i.e. 1 male frame for every 1 female frame, and equal number of genders for starter frames)

lol someones an &#! man

I'm more of a thigh guy, meself.

I'll never understand this. I see it all the time, but I have no qualms about playing as female characters. I mean, do people really think they're some space ninja doing backflips and slicing dudes in half?

Is this how you think about every novel you've ever read? Every film you've ever watched? Surely you've read, watched, and enjoyed other media with main characters of an opposing gender?

That's what I love about Warframe, the protagonists are silent, mystical killing machines, and yet they are full of rich, unique flavor.

Games are interactive unlike other media.

For many folks we like to put ourselves in the shoes of the person we play.

game designers often use the faceless hero on purpose for thr express reason that so many gamers like to input themselves into the character they are playing.

Its not a judgement that everyone should but its not fair to suggest its strange when it is in fact very common.

It would water their characters down if you could just flip their gender like a switch.

Water them down in what way?

Playing in a match with 3 volts indicates that there are clearly more than one tenno who wears volt armor.

For some reason they cant be females?

Its fine if youre not interested in gender choice but I find this a rather flimsy reason to keep it out of the game.

I think a better solution is to just have more Warframes of equal genders (i.e. 1 male frame for every 1 female frame, and equal number of genders for starter frames)

Its only a "better" solution for those who dont want a specific frame in a specific gender...

Edited by Ronyn

As much as giving all frames both genders is a "better" solution for those who want bland, genericized frames in any gender.

LOL. Don't try to put additional meanings onto basic preferences.

At least be accurate and say

"Giving frames both genders is only a better solution for those who want frames in both genders."

A frame can have just one gender option and be bland and genericized.

A frame can have two genders and be unique and interesting.

look. If the frames were supposed to be a specific person...then a gender swap would take away a lot.

That isnt the case.

These warframes are fantastic suits of armor.

As long as we are opperating under the impression that there are several volts, many rhinos and multiple excaliburs there is little logic to arguing that having two genders takes away anything from their unique design.

Art is subjective so you can be attached to the warframes in whatever way you like.

But dont misrepresent other peoples preferences as wanting "blandness" just because it differs from yours.

Edited by Ronyn