Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Starter Weapons Seriously Need Buffs

NikolaiLev

Few patches ago they made Ballistas more common so now you get much higher chance of Stormbringer, at least thats an improvement. 

Melee mod - Pressure point - is quite common, Serration is a bad case of RNG, when I first started playing, I havent seen it in 40-50 hrs when I was already past Saturn and did many 15-20 min survivals,  I had to rely on melee and secondary weapon, since I got Hornet Strike and fire mod rather early (I think there were some infested nodes in Venus back then). When I'v been levelling at Mimas I often asked guys with noob gear if they had Serration and they were like 'what is that?'

I just mentioned Pressure Point since it's a useful mod if you do a normal attack build. But yeah, on this main account, I'm pretty sure I was well over 40 hours in before I got my first Serration. Pretty painful. I can remember crafting my Paris and Cernos straight from the Mk1, expecting to do some good damage, and I still hit like a pillow lol. Serration does at least drop from Scorpions, though, so you should be able to farm some mid level Grineer survivals or what not for the Scorpion spawns and a better chance to drop.

Then again, no Serration, go farm a higher level Grineer node. Yeah, makes sense.

All the Ballistas on Earth are great for farming Stormbringer. I'm pretty sure my lowbie account has gotten at least 3 so far, with quite a few missions done on Earth.

Just go to a low level planet and see how new players roll. I saw this today,and just by pure accident. There is only one thing I can say about this. Its SAD.

I use low tier plantets as sort of testing ground for freshly crafted gear and mainly do it in private session. Today by accident I went online and after a while couple of newcomers (ranks 0 and ,1 standard loadout) joined in. And because im so nice, I actually tried to play with them. And by that I mean not rushing forward and whaling on everything in sight. I was using rank 10 grinlok and every single corpus dude just passed out in one hit. While my teammates were struggling with just one enemy. It took about 5 - 10 sec to kill single 8 lvl crewman! I mean.. F***, if I were them I'd quit playing this game.

Its not only that strarter weapons are total garbage and newcomers dont have wide array of mods to counter that. But also they probably have no idea how this game even works. And since there is no propper tutorial explaining dmg mechanics they most likely get bored and quit.

Also i dont get argument that because starter weapon have to be useless just because its starter

Why? They're starter weapons.

Because, uh, crafted weapons are impossible to craft until after the Hell that is called Earth in this game?

The Orthos is the one-and-only weapon you can craft until AFTER you get through most of Earth.

This leaves your only choices being Braton and Strun until you can make something else yourself, and both of those are kinda "meh" too. Braton can be good, but only with Mods that a newbie isn't going to have. Split Chamber, Serration, Shred, etc. Once you get THOSE ranked up, and a potato on that Braton, then yes, Braton can be a good gun.

No Potato, no Split Chamber? Uh, yeah.... Braton is not gonna be all that great.

On the Pistol Side, you get Lato, Aklato and Lex and that's it. Lex is about your best bet but not everybody likes slow-fire weapons. (Ak)Latos are kinda "meh" too.

And on the Melee side, well at least you have Orthos. That's your only saving grace to get you through Earth.... not that you can melee Grineer very well as a newbie anyways. That is, however, assuming the newbie knows that the Orthos is the one-and-only option he has and that it is actually craftable before Earth. Otherwise, I imagine many newbies are probably using Cronus or worse, the Skana.

Edited by Xylia

You don't need a potato and split chamber to make something like the Braton useful. Simply Serration and 2x elemental mods (with appropriate combinations and medium ranks) are good enough to last you for a while. Obviously not going to tell someone to do some T3s or something, but you can go decently far on the star charts with just that alone. That weapon should easily last you into the 20s. And that is definitely good enough stuff to help you farm things like Galium and Morphics.

The bigger problem by far, and I will keep saying this, is the lack of knowledge and difficulty of getting said mods. No newbie is going to know how to get this stuff or why Magnetic or pure Toxic is great for Corpus, or why Serration is such a big deal. If you do know, and you do get a hold of those mods, you can take the starter weapons very far.

I just want the Lato to have its damage put back at its original damage of 24. 16 is simply not enough even with mods

That aside, I think mods like serration and hornet strike should drop more often in the earlier levels to give the new players a fighting chance because for a new player with no mods, no cores, no elementals, no credits for BPs, no resources for new guns, etc, will start hitting road bumps at venus and will hit a brick wall at Earth

Because, uh, crafted weapons are impossible to craft until after the Hell that is called Earth in this game?

The Orthos is the one-and-only weapon you can craft until AFTER you get through most of Earth.

This leaves your only choices being Braton and Strun until you can make something else yourself, and both of those are kinda "meh" too. Braton can be good, but only with Mods that a newbie isn't going to have. Split Chamber, Serration, Shred, etc. Once you get THOSE ranked up, and a potato on that Braton, then yes, Braton can be a good gun.

No Potato, no Split Chamber? Uh, yeah.... Braton is not gonna be all that great.

On the Pistol Side, you get Lato, Aklato and Lex and that's it. Lex is about your best bet but not everybody likes slow-fire weapons. (Ak)Latos are kinda "meh" too.

And on the Melee side, well at least you have Orthos. That's your only saving grace to get you through Earth.... not that you can melee Grineer very well as a newbie anyways. That is, however, assuming the newbie knows that the Orthos is the one-and-only option he has and that it is actually craftable before Earth. Otherwise, I imagine many newbies are probably using Cronus or worse, the Skana.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said power creep. You think some things need a buff, fine, opinion, I can't argue that but why would you be better than 'meh' in the first two systems as a brand new account?

Players think we're supposed to be running around instagibbing everything and that needs to be fixed before new player experience is fixed. Simple as that. If tomorrow they rolled out all new weapons and mods for noobs, perfectly balanced, the forums would rage out because perfect balance is a MASSIVE nerf from where we are with everyone running around overpowered.

I know it hurts us having a bad new player experience, but it'll hurt us more if they put one in that the community doesn't understand and we get another rage fit all over the forums. IMHO we need the devs to set up some kind of very basic end game where people are not so super overpowered anymore. Let it sit for a month and declare it will NOT be nerfed so that the standard is set and people know they're not meant to just stomp the game all day. Maybe use conclave ratings to affect PvE rewards tables somehow so people are encouraged to not bring super OP setups. Stuff like that.

Edited by VKhaun

A few posters  earlier on got this right - the problem is the availability (or lack thereof) of mods early in the game.  Base damage mods are simply too critical for builds to be as rare as they currently are. New players aren't going to have these by the time they need them unless they somehow to know to farm Apollodorus or trade for them (and either way, it contributes to a poor new user experience).

IMHO - new players should be given a set of new base damage mods as stand-ins for Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure Point.  These new mods could be given as part of a modding/fusion tutorial in Mercury.  They would have 5 ranks (50-60% damage boost at max) and would be Common/cheap to level, and would cost 11 at max rank.  This would effectively make them useless for high level players (this is intentional - we don't want people stacking them with the real base damage mods - 11 points for 50% is too low value for most players to consider it), BUT it would give the newbie weapons the damage they need to carry players through Venus/Earth while simultaneously teaching them the value of base weapon damage.

As an aside, all three of the starter weapons should be changed to have an even distribution of Slash/Impact/Puncture damage.  They are too Slash heavy right now, Venus is like hitting a brick wall if you're still using the MK-1. 

Decided to make a badass Mk-1 a few days ago.  This of course meant Forma, which meant using an unranked Mk-1.

So, I ran Mercury.  It was an odd experience.

The Mk-1 is tilted towards slash damage heavily.  You start off against the Grineer, who are fairly resistant to slash damage.  The MK-1 however is a remarkably precise weapon for an assault rifle. 

The result is that you start with a weapon that's pretty decent at headshots, and you really need headshots to do reasonable damage. 

The implication there is that precision in your fire is the most important determining factor in your damage output.  But that's really not the case in this game, so I suggest it probably shouldn't be one of the first things you encounter.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I said power creep. You think some things need a buff, fine, opinion, I can't argue that but why would you be better than 'meh' in the first two systems as a brand new account?

When I say "Meh", I'm talking about "Can hardly kill anything".

Players think we're supposed to be running around instagibbing everything and that needs to be fixed before new player experience is fixed. Simple as that. If tomorrow they rolled out all new weapons and mods for noobs, perfectly balanced, the forums would rage out because perfect balance is a MASSIVE nerf from where we are with everyone running around overpowered.

Insta-gibbing? Of course not. However, weapons need to kill stuff faster than they respawn, otherwise the solo player simply cannot get a rest from constant incoming fire which is what we're seeing now. And then, add to the fact that Jungles spawn Helions, and Elite Lancers with Karaks, and you got a Hellhole for newbies to overcome.

I know it hurts us having a bad new player experience, but it'll hurt us more if they put one in that the community doesn't understand and we get another rage fit all over the forums. IMHO we need the devs to set up some kind of very basic end game where people are not so super overpowered anymore. Let it sit for a month and declare it will NOT be nerfed so that the standard is set and people know they're not meant to just stomp the game all day. Maybe use conclave ratings to affect PvE rewards tables somehow so people are encouraged to not bring super OP setups. Stuff like that.

We're trying to advocate changes so newbies aren't being slaughtered left-and-right on Earth, because the game requires you to get through Earth before you can even think about crafting your own gear, with the exception of Cronus and Orthos.

Earth needs to be reasonably do-able, solo, with current weapon/Warframe options as a newbie.

It simply isn't these days, and the starter weapons are one of the many reasons why.

IMHO - new players should be given a set of new base damage mods as stand-ins for Serration, Hornet Strike, and Pressure Point.  These new mods could be given as part of a modding/fusion tutorial in Mercury.  They would have 5 ranks (50-60% damage boost at max) and would be Common/cheap to level, and would cost 11 at max rank.  This would effectively make them useless for high level players (this is intentional - we don't want people stacking them with the real base damage mods - 11 points for 50% is too low value for most players to consider it), BUT it would give the newbie weapons the damage they need to carry players through Venus/Earth while simultaneously teaching them the value of base weapon damage.

I made a thread with same idea couple months back (http://i.imgur.com/0gGF4sy.png)  and some others proposed similar things. Except this mod better be un-equipable together with Serration (mutually exclusive), because all other mods scale from base damage

There is no "rest of the weaponry", there are tiers of gear that gets progressively better (for the most part at least). Game absolutely has to have progress, it motivates people to play, especially in such loot-driven games like WF and starter gear shouldn't be viable at high levels. But in WF its far more about mods than weapons: weapons become ~60! times stronger full moded vs unmoded, comparatively MK1 vs top rifles is only ~3 times difference. 

MK1 is adequate for fighting lvl 1-3 enemines, then you easily buy better weapons for low credit cost, but then you run into no mods RNG wall.

(Btw I think they upped the neurodes drop on Earth so you can build weapons much easier now)

I see this argument a lot, and it's completely invalid because one of the best melee weapons in the game, the Galatine, has a mere mastery 3 requirement.  The Flux Rifle is mastery 6 and is a research weapon, yet the Soma is far superior to it.

Games don't need to have progress, that's just nonsense.  And like you said, it's far more about mods than weapons.  So all weapons should just be sidegrades of each other.

Decided to make a badass Mk-1 a few days ago.  This of course meant Forma, which meant using an unranked Mk-1.

So, I ran Mercury.  It was an odd experience.

The Mk-1 is tilted towards slash damage heavily.  You start off against the Grineer, who are fairly resistant to slash damage.  The MK-1 however is a remarkably precise weapon for an assault rifle. 

The result is that you start with a weapon that's pretty decent at headshots, and you really need headshots to do reasonable damage. 

The implication there is that precision in your fire is the most important determining factor in your damage output.  But that's really not the case in this game, so I suggest it probably shouldn't be one of the first things you encounter.

Mk1 combined with Shred or Metal Auger is actually amazingly effective at mowing down rows of enemies with punch through headshots. Something I was not really expecting when I made this.

And you don't have to craft a weapon to get through Earth. The store bought Braton is perfectly fine to get you through it and well beyond. The far bigger issue, and I'll repeat until I'm blue in the face, is that newbies need basic stuff like Serration and a couple of elementals, which are far harder to get and require knowledge beforehand. Warframe wise, Excalibur is a perfectly valid option. Radial Blind is very good when at rank 3 - the issue is that none of the new players will really understand that. Mag's pull is also an excellent CC. Loki is harder, but I'm okay with that honestly. The label does say "advanced players" and he does have an "ohshi-" button in Invisibility.

I can go up to level 25 Grineer with nothing but a Mk1, a 7/10 Serration, and 2 5/5 Elementals, and still kill stuff just fine. I would not expect a newbie to have that much sunk into a Serration or their elementals, but then again, I would not expect anyone to still be maining a Mk1 up to Pluto.

You guys are getting way too caught up on the weapons when the weapons are not the major issue. Mods literally make everything in this game. A Soma, one of the most common "omghightier" weapons around, does around 1% its maximum damage potential when unmodded. Think about that for a minute. Even a non-crit dependent weapon like the Phage only does around 2% its max potential.

I don't think the Mk1 needs to be a sidegrade. The Braton, Braton Prime, and Braton Vandal, are all meant to be direct upgrades to the Mk1. The Braton is very easily purchased - Lotus GIVES you 25k credits for killing Vor (which you have to do to progress to Venus!) for the first time, which coincidentally happens to be the cost of buying a Braton.

I don't think the Mk1 needs to be a sidegrade. The Braton, Braton Prime, and Braton Vandal, are all meant to be direct upgrades to the Mk1. The Braton is very easily purchased - Lotus GIVES you 25k credits for killing Vor (which you have to do to progress to Venus!) for the first time, which coincidentally happens to be the cost of buying a Braton.

I still don't see why we don't just slightly increase enemy toughness on Mercury and start players off with the Braton.  The Mk1 just has no point in existing.

It could very well be a more accurate Braton with better magazine capacity and slightly less DPS, and that'd be a unique weapon.  There's just no reason for this not to be the case.

I don't understand why "direct upgrades" are appealing at all.  It just lessens player choice.

Lotus GIVES you 25k credits for killing Vor (which you have to do to progress to Venus!) for the first time, which coincidentally happens to be the cost of buying a Braton.

Wait a minute, when did this start happening? I know I didn't get that in the last days of u11. Is this why Vor no longer drops the Cronus BP any more, I wonder?

I don't understand why "direct upgrades" are appealing at all.  It just lessens player choice.

Then what would you suggest for the Prime variants? These weapons were meant by design to be superior. They require more work to obtain (at least, they did before Prime trading came along) and are meant to be more powerful.

Whether you like it or not, for weapons that fall under the same category (meaning Latron vs. Latron Prime, not something like Soma vs. Phage) there are going to be direct upgrades. It will require some very massive rebalancing to get away from this which I honestly do not see happening anytime soon... or at all, really. It'd be more a shift in policy and design than a rebalancing, really.

No need to buff the Mk-1, you can buy the Braton dirt cheap off of the market with credits. The Lato functions fine as a secondary. I don't really see a need to buff weapons given to you at the start, they do their job well. They aren't meant to be used late into the game.

That's actually kind of flawed logic. The Braton is inexpensive because you've got good credit income. A new player will need to do a lot of missions, and that's if they can figure it out. Everything in the game hints that only crafting makes weapons since there's like... two (if that?)? Weapons you can actually buy with credits.

Skana and Lato I kind of get, but I really don't think they should be made god awful on purpose (Which they are. Dakra Prime is the only real good sword of that style, Lato is... Lato is used by nobody)

That's actually kind of flawed logic. The Braton is inexpensive because you've got good credit income. A new player will need to do a lot of missions, and that's if they can figure it out. Everything in the game hints that only crafting makes weapons since there's like... two (if that?)? Weapons you can actually buy with credits.

Skana and Lato I kind of get, but I really don't think they should be made god awful on purpose (Which they are. Dakra Prime is the only real good sword of that style, Lato is... Lato is used by nobody)

c4QawIb.png

Which roughly translates into AYE YO TENNO YO WEAPON SUX GO BUY A NEW ONE.

And of course, the Braton costs 25k credits.

Note that Vor = Mercury, the first planet.

It definitely hasn't always been like this, as it used to give you the Cronus BP instead. But they've since changed it to this, which honestly makes much more sense.

The issue with the Skana, other than the fact that it has low base stats, is that it is a longsword, and virtually all longswords suck in this game. Hopefully melee 2.0 will fix that.

Which roughly translates into AYE YO TENNO YO WEAPON SUX GO BUY A NEW ONE.

And of course, the Braton costs 25k credits.

Note that Vor = Mercury, the first planet.

It definitely hasn't always been like this, as it used to give you the Cronus BP instead. But they've since changed it to this, which honestly makes much more sense.

The issue with the Skana, other than the fact that it has low base stats, is that it is a longsword, and virtually all longswords suck in this game. Hopefully melee 2.0 will fix that.

I wasn't saying that that didn't exist, I'm saying that even with that (which happens after a decent amount of gameplay for some people), the game leaves people with no impression that they could buy a weapon with credits or anything of the sort. As mentioned before there's about two whole weapons (the AkLato and the Braton are the only ones I can think of right now) that you can buy with credits. The game very swiftly tailors you to the thought of "buy stuff with money or use blueprints."

I wouldn't have this problem if they reverted the change they made in U9 or whenever it was where a bunch of things like the Burston went from Credits to Plat. If there was a handful of items that could be bought with credits and more "Special" ones (Think Burston compared to Phage) were left to blueprints or the like, I could get it. But just about nothing is credits only anymore, and the stuff that is, is S#&$. The only real exception being the Braon itself since fully Forma'd it's considered good, but you almost never see anyone actually running around with it since it's still not one of the better.

Your original statement was "the Braton is inexpensive because you've got good credit income". The purpose of the picture was to show that your credit income is irrelevant. The game literally gives you the credits needed. As for your "happens after a decent amount of gameplay" statement, this is Captain Vor. This is the 5th or 6th mission that a player will run. That's hardly far at all. The missions leading up to them are a very short Exterminate (~40 enemies), a Sabotage, a Capture, and a Mobile Defense. While I don't expect a newbie to have a clue what they're doing, these aren't long missions.

Whether a ton of people are carrying the Braton around or not is irrelevant. The point is that it is more than capable of carrying you through most of the star chart, even if you don't stick a potato or forma on it. And by the time you get to the end of the star chart, gathering stuff to craft new guns should not be an issue because you have the system unlocked, and should be crafting stuff already anyways.

I don't think they need to make more guns capable of being bought with credits. What they should do is have more weapons craftable by the time you're running around Venus or Earth. The Latron, the Burston, and maybe a bow, or sniper should be craftable very early on (primary wise, you can extend this to secondaries and melee as well. Get people into crafting from the first 3 planets already, instead of forcing people to wait until they hit Mars+. And they definitely should do a better job of explaining the crafting (and everything else in general). After all, you craft virtually everything - you are supposed to use blueprints for pretty much everything. I think that's how they want it to be. But that's not what the topic is about.

I'm really dissapointed that they made the Lato and Aklato so weak. They are my favorit semi-automatic pistol design in this game, but yet the developers expect me to throw them away as soon as i leveled them to switch to Vasto or Magnus. Revolvers being cool good and fine, but i'd like to keep my Latos into high levels, but even with forma, potato and the right mods they can't hold up well.

The fact that they even dumped down the special reward Lato Vandal is just adding confusion to the dissapointment. Why do that, if it was a one of a kind reward to loyal players? Why not keep it as a Lato variant that can keep up with the Vasto and Magnus into end game instead of dumping it together with the base variant?

The biggest dissapointment with this change is that it means even if they would ever reward Aklato Vandals for some event, they would be horrorfyingly underpowered since they can't go too far beyond the single variant.

The Skana does not have it much better. It's description says that it's really powerfull once you mastered it, but that's a just fluff lying to us. The weapon remains terrible past mercury regardless of it's level. They even went so far in the older build of the game to throw a Cronus at our feet as if to say: "Yeah Skana sucks. Here have a Cronus. It sucks a bit less.".

Not a nice fate for a weapon which is said to be the foundation of Tenno melee combat. Are we supposed to think of it as a futuristic wooden sword? Does that mean they send us with a wooden sword into combat?

As i suggested in another thread, i think they should introduce a way to upgrade the stats of your Skana to make it high level capable. Same i would like to see for the Lato.

The argument "Why? They are starter weapons after all! All starter stuff should be trash." Falls on its face so fast and so hard I think it died or at least fell into a coma. My argument why that argument is invalid? 

Excalibur. 

Excalibur is a starter frame. Meaning it should be trash, right? I mean everything you get at the start is trash, right? But why is he an "end game" drop then? His parts can be acquired from Pluto. And last I checked Pluto isn't exactly what I'd consider a "beginner area". 

So, DE's giving out trash tier stuff and end tier levels? That's a bit stupid, don't you think? Unless Excalibur isn't trash. And we know he isn't trash because you can see him at every tier of the game. 

Now concerning the Mk1, Lato and Skana.

MK1 has little to no reason to exist in it's current iteration. Suggestion: Braton becomes the standard issue, Mk1 is statted into a higher damage rifle, preferably with more puncture damage. Model modified a bit to reflect a more "medium range battle rifle" feel. The slower fire-rate tells me this weapon is meant for longer range engagements then the standard. So make the Mk1 something that hits harder. 

Lato needs a damage buff. Plain a simple. If anything the lato NEEDS to be the gun that is boring. Good, but boring. It'd kill stuff reasonably fast at reasonable ranges but it'd be a competent pistol. With no interesting traits to it. The "boring" aspect of it would "fix" whatever issue that might arise. 

Skana is a whole other beast. Skana needs a redesign. Skana needs to be important simply because it IS important. 

Before all other weapons, Tenno master the Skana. This simple blade becomes immensely powerful in the hands of a master. For Tenno, it is the foundation of their fighting style and a pillar of their culture.

That's Skana's codex entry. "Foundation of their fighting style and pillar of their culture" Mighty big words there for a toothpick, wouldn't you say. 

So, my idea is to make Skana interesting. Like REALLY interesting. Lets say the skana starts off as a lower damage longsword. The chronos would be better BUT, skana gets better as it levels. Not just damage, but things like being able to hit multiple targets, higher crit values and chances, innate damage reflect etc.

"Becomes immensely powerful in the hands of a master." That should be the key words here. That even if you forma the skana, you keep the bonuses, so every forma, every cycle you master it it becomes more and more powerful until it's like something so powerful a cult raises up around it.

I mean I can see us getting markets where you can trade weapons, and could you imagine the price for a skana that's been formad 10 times with this system? Those things should come with their own names. Dragon's Bane, Bloodbreath, Fluffypoke. 

Edited by Lakais

So, DE's giving out trash tier stuff and end tier levels? That's a bit stupid, don't you think? Unless Excalibur isn't trash. And we know he isn't trash because you can see him at every tier of the game. 

The reason that I find this invalid is because this is how a lot of the weapons work. The Braton works okay, but pales compared to the Braton Prime. The Latron works okay, but is worthless compared to the Latron Prime. Are we asking for everything to be a sidegrade? I can't imagine what the backlash would be if the Prime variants were no longer more powerful. You can already see the backlash from simply making Primes tradable - people feel like their work was invalidated.

The idea of a sidegrade arsenal was cool but DE already decided on a tiered system for some kind of progression, they just haven't seemed to figure out what goes in which tier yet. 

But there's no excuse for the Aklato's nerf. It was a solid weapon that was not remotely overpowered in anyway, while still being fun to use. A pair of good old reliable semi-autos with NO bells and whistles- no outstanding crits, no sniper-like accuracy, no projectile trajectory- nothing. And DE took this away from people who enjoyed the weapons for what they were. If you were to look up a bull's a$$hole, you wouldn't find any bullsh!t there cause its all right here.

In regards to the OP, the starter weapons are perfectly fine.

Running a potatoed MK1 and single Lato - both no forma used, with of course higher grade mods, I was able to one-shot enemies up until Sedna - around level 10 or higher. Regardless, even in Sedna most enemies were downed in less than 3 shots to the chest with Corrosive Damage.

It's not a matter of the starter weapons "sucking", it's a matter of the mods.

Serration? From Grineer Scorpions. Where? Certainly not on Mercury unless you're playing Apollodorus (Survival). Maybe Lares (Defense), all depending on where the new player wants to go. Other than that, you'd have to skip ahead to at least Earth to see them spawn without some kind of Endless Defense/Survival going on.

Split Chamber? If you're lucky - Ruk, Raptor, Leech Osprey at least. Most of which aren't seen until past Venus or Earth.

Stormbringer? Grineer Ballista. I don't know about any of the defense/survival missions when it comes to enemy spawn, but anywhere prior to Earth, not likely going to happen. Otherwise you'd have to get to Tier III of a corpus Endless Defense and be lucky.

Infected Clip? Corpus Elite Crewman, Crewman / Detron Crewman, Corrupted Lancer. Possibly in Endless Defense/Survival, but I have no idea. At the very least Jupiter.

Basically to get anything good, you'd need to work your way up to those points in the game. That's if you haven't succumbed to trading with platinum by that point.

In the end - the weapons don't suck. It's getting the mods needed to maximize its potential that really, really sucks.