Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

'prestige' Balancing The Soma -- Soma As Clan Tech?

Varzy

A major point of contention regarding Soma's strength is it outperforms harder to get, clan exclusive weaponry. When 'normal' guns outperform prestige weapons, the disappointment people feel at their hard work not being rewarded is understandable.

With that in mind, should the Soma blueprint be moved to Clan Research? It can still be bought from the market with platinum, but now to get it without dropping platinum it must be researched and will need at least 1 Forma to be built.

Would this help address some of the fairness issues? Discuss.

Agreed, as arguably the best weapon in the game, it should require a large amount of resources and effort to acquire it. This seems like the best way to let it retain it's OP status but still require more than a handful of resources and 24 wait time to get.

I'd go so far as to raise it's mastery rank to 8 as well since it's an endgame weapon, but a shift from the market to the Tenno Labs would be enough.

I can get behind that. It'd also help not be so $&*&*#(%& having 2 V polarities without a single forma since you'll need forma to build it now. By rank 6 you should be in clan already anyway (or at least join the Lone Rangers or another "git yer stuff here" clan) and have access to forma.

Its going to be funny with Soma Prime comes out and doesn't have any polarities and less crit chance but a higher crit multipler.

But that probably won't be for awhile, not while they can make money from people buying Forma to god mode their gun.

Everyone has the soma though, so what is the point.  Alot of players got the soma when it was a blueprint on the market and required no mastery.

It's like, "hey, lets make it hard to get the best weapon, that everyone already has." 

Everyone has the soma though, so what is the point.  Alot of players got the soma when it was a blueprint on the market and required no mastery.

It's like, "hey, lets make it hard to get the best weapon, that everyone already has." 

Warframe gets more and more players every day, the player base isn't static. Soma was introduced before the Tenno Research lab so there was no lore friendly place to put it. Now there is.

More than that, it's a common gripe that the Soma can be aquired effortlessly whereas Clan Tech weapons require effort to gather the research materials and forma needed to construct them. They're prestigious. Turning that concept around, the Soma is an extremely powerful gun but there is zero fanfare upon acquiring it, nothing besides a credit grind to celebrate its crafting. That's kind of disappointing, really, but it doesn't have to continue to have that aspect to it.

In terms of the game's evolving design/lore (Tenno research giving a home to special Tenno craftsmanship), in terms of game balance and in terms of the ever growing player base who have yet to seek out end-game weaponry, I feel there are many arguments in favor of moving the Soma to the Tenno Labs.

Would this help address some of the fairness issues? Discuss.

Nope.  People shouldn't be screwed over just because they aren't in a clan.  It will lead to people wanting to join a clan that has the research done already, rather than one that is still working on it.  The addition of more clan tech will also make the barrier to entry for new clans ever greater.  More clan tech = more research = more time for a new clan to get off the ground.  And it also wouldn't change anything about the Soma's place compared to most clan-tech weapons.  Overall, less stuff needs to be clan (or clan/market) only, not more.

Clan tech really should be more about sideways improvements than just being better.

Edited by Axterix13

Warframe gets more and more players every day, the player base isn't static. Soma was introduced before the Tenno Research lab so there was no lore friendly place to put it. Now there is.

More than that, it's a common gripe that the Soma can be aquired effortlessly whereas Clan Tech weapons require effort to gather the research materials and forma needed to construct them. They're prestigious. Turning that concept around, the Soma is an extremely powerful gun but there is zero fanfare upon acquiring it, nothing besides a credit grind to celebrate its crafting. That's kind of disappointing, really, but it doesn't have to continue to have that aspect to it.

In terms of the game's evolving design/lore (Tenno research giving a home to special Tenno craftsmanship), in terms of game balance and in terms of the ever growing player base who have yet to seek out end-game weaponry, I feel there are many arguments in favor of moving the Soma to the Tenno Labs.

game lore? are u kidding me?  who exactly crafts these weapons? a machine? a machine that can't process queues? a machine that doesn't have have all the blueprints and cant remember them?  a machne that can craft over a hundred items at the same time but not the same item?

where are we? where is my warframe when it's not in a mission? in a ship?  why can't i access this ship?  why can't i access inventory in a clan base?

the soma was introduced like any other weapon at the time.  players cried it was op so they gave it a mastery.  you want a weapon to have more barriers for new players?

why not make a raid?  then a raid boss that 1/64 of the parts drop from?  and give the raid boss a once a week entrance? then have craft npcs on certain planets that only spawn at certain times.  these crafters craft certain fragments of the weapon.

the soma and like most rifles are really only good for solo.  once you're in a group then you use aoe.  and since you're using aoe then you will be using warframe aoes.  so don't make up this lore requirement for a game that takes no skill.

weapons are 100% accurate even while moving, sliding, jumping.  the ai is predictable.  i don't see why u guys want weapons hard to obtain when the game is already easy as it is.

Nope. People shouldn't be screwed over just because they aren't in a clan. It will lead to people wanting to join a clan that has the research done already, rather than one that is still working on it. The addition of more clan tech will also make the barrier to entry for new clans ever greater. More clan tech = more research = more time for a new clan to get off the ground. And it also wouldn't change anything about the Soma's place compared to most clan-tech weapons. Overall, less stuff needs to be clan (or clan/market) only, not more.

Clan tech really should be more about sideways improvements than just being better.

I never quite understand what people mean by being punished for not being in a clan. I've built or been a founding member of several ghost clans, built all the labs and completed all the research several times over. First time I did it was relatively early on in my playtime, too, while the latest was just this month. It's really rather simple - pretty time consuming, but considering the lack of clear endgoals in the game right now it's satisfying to work towards your own goals.

The only real barrier I see in Clan Tech is the forma needed, and that's because of the RNG issues in the game right now.

Edited by Varzy

It doesn't offer any remotely special mechanics, though.

I'd personally much rather see the "plain" weapons, like Akstilettos, in the marketplace.

(By the way, why the bloody hell hasn't the Dual Cestra thing changed yet!? Once again, the devs acknowledge the issue in the Hot Topics and then leave it to rot entirely.)

Edited by SortaRandom

Nope.  People shouldn't be screwed over just because they aren't in a clan.  It will lead to people wanting to join a clan that has the research done already, rather than one that is still working on it.  The addition of more clan tech will also make the barrier to entry for new clans ever greater.  More clan tech = more research = more time for a new clan to get off the ground.  And it also wouldn't change anything about the Soma's place compared to most clan-tech weapons.  Overall, less stuff needs to be clan (or clan/market) only, not more.

actualy my friend made a clan alone and the resources are VERY low to make anything its very easy to make stuff for a clan -10 players  in size