Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ninjas Play Free? No. We Are Farmers! Bum Da Bum Bum Bum Bum Bum!

INB4 "Moved to Proper Section": This is intended to be in GD as to hopefully spark discussion on what is and isn't really gameplay in Warframe, and furthermore what should be done about the current gameplay, or lack thereof.

As we all know, the slogan of Warframe is currently "Ninjas Play Free." 

I disagree with this as the slogan, as we aren't getting gameplay that makes us really feel like ninjas (with exception of Ash, and even then the "ninja" gameplay is questionable) and some will argue (including myself) that the word "Play" should be removed from the slogan entirely since, at least to long time players, it doesn't really feel like we're playing this game. 

Here is what the new slogan should be:

Currently, the only long lasting... "gameplay"... Warframe has is grinding and farming. While we do get new weapons every update and new frames during each major update with (sometimes) interesting mechanics and abilities, the novelty of these wear off quickly because the core gameplay itself is not that great at all. Right now, the only long-standing gameplay we have is grinding and farming. 

Grinding and farming alone do not make a good game. Now yes, because of the nature of warframe, getting new items left and right, grinding and farming can not be truly removed without completely destroying the game. However, the fact that grindfarm is the only long-term appeal for the game, this has resulted in unnecessary player burn-out. 

The chief attraction for your game, DE, should be well done gameplay that keeps players playing because of the core gameplay mechanics. Grinding and farming should only be side-steps of the game that do not dominate it. But unfortunately, grinding is not only the dominate gameplay element here, but the only gameplay element. 

I'm almost certain that even if the grinding were still as awful as it is in its current form, I can almost guarantee that there would be far less complaints if the gameplay itself was far more enjoyable and less monotonous than it is now. 

In short: Grinding alone does not make a good game and absolutely can not substitute for real gameplay unless you are begging for players to be burnt out and wondering why they keep playing. Your players should be saying "I play this game so damn much because it's FUN!" Not wondering why the hell they're playing kappa for the 30th time that day just because they're leveling up something, rather than actually playing the game.

I want to see the game reflect this:

game_page_artwork_small.jpg?ts=139091401

Not stay as this:

1964382_753268298026191_899557883_n.jpg?

Edited by BizarreFetalChimpanzee

Actual ninjas were often disguised as farmers. The whole black-pyjamas thing is mostly a myth.

Yeah. the black outfit thing is a Hollywood thing mainly. Ninjas were mainly farmers and whatnot. They became proper "assassins" later but they still favored disquises and whatnot. since hey a farmer with a sickle/scythe doesnt look that suspicious

Guess i am among those hopeful that warframe will gain worthwhile content one day.

Yeah. So am i. i still play but always checking always hoping that DE is adding something nice. Melee 2.0 is In my opinion a nice step. Melee was always filler content to me. Not important just a side thing to rank/use once in a while. Hoping M2.0 changes it and makes it worthwhile and fun. and im still hoping they add difficulty options/sliders with improved AI. gods man the game is too easy. taking unranked gear... still too easy. =D

you mean when you are done with solar system?

Well my post was in regards to the "excess" grind that you hear people often complaining about.  (sorry was posting from my phone earlier)

In any and every video game there is some sort of grind, defeat xyz to obtain abc and travel to the magical kingdom to obtain your reward, etc.  

While I do agree that there's allot of redundancy (repeated missions) in this game, it's improved allot since I've started.  Several new tiles have been introduced, and more should be along the way.

What I'm talking about is when they say "Ninjas Play Free" they're talking about the Free to Play aspect of this game, and with regards to that DE is certainly very generous to free players.  Playing Free is access to the game, not necessarily meaning having the most powerful gear, mods and warframes.  We either buy or grind for those.  (even when buying we're buying with money for which we had to grind for in real life.)

What the OP is talking about is more advanced mechanics, and yes Warframe does fall short when compared to pure Ninja games like the newer Ninja Gaiden games.  I agree on this point and hopefully Melee 2.0 will bring us closer to feeling like Ninja in Warframe.

Edited by sushidubya

grinding and farming is a choice. especially past mastery rank 7. but yes we need more ninja in the game.

It's the only thing to do, and even when you don't want to do it your technically still doing it. Most of the people who have been playing war frame for a long time seem to stay away from the truth of it. Yea it's a grind fest get over it. It's probably gonna be like this for a long time, so trying to act like it's not is really annoying and hard to read. All you do in this game is farm for end-game parts like prime weapons/items/war frames. So saying it's a choice makes no sense at all.

it'd be nice if DE actually listened to actual common sense, i love this game mainly for its potential. The actual gameplay is not the best (still enjoyable dont get me wrong), lack of variety in level , gameplay is less about skill and more about modding(which would be fine if skill was actually demanded past using power x and power y) infestation barely has variety in enemies, rng loot system, a stealth aspect being entirely neglected, questionable balancing, market being overpriced, and honestly the piss poor pacing from the developing end. i feel its very hard for new players to get into warframe without having a veteran player helping them out, simply because of grinding. This game could be so much better if they just fixed basic fundamentals. I dont know about everyone else, this game didnt hook me in because of gameplay at first. it hooked me in because of aesthetics on the warframe and the powers. it hooked me in because of its concept, not its execution in gameplay. Im still waiting for that and the pc players longer.

It's the only thing to do, and even when you don't want to do it your technically still doing it. Most of the people who have been playing war frame for a long time seem to stay away from the truth of it. Yea it's a grind fest get over it. It's probably gonna be like this for a long time, so trying to act like it's not is really annoying and hard to read. All you do in this game is farm for end-game parts like prime weapons/items/war frames. So saying it's a choice makes no sense at all.

It makes allot of sense.  Because it's your choice to keep farming, and it is mine too.  I have everything in this game built and in inventory, all of my favorite weapons and sentinels all forma'd and mods maxed.

It's my choice to do so.  Does everyone need to?  Absolutely not.  People really only need to play to Mastery Rank 7 to get some of the best weapons, collect a decent amount of fusion cores and mods (because it's really not necessary to max out every single mod) and they can have fun in this game.  (Please correct me if there are some newer weapons that require higher than Rank 7, I haven't kept up.)

Progressing further or expending more time into anything is a personal choice and there is no uber weapon or content that's locked behind mastery rank 30.  

Edited by sushidubya

Before I joined, in August I still remember all those damn Warframe ads on Youtube for like 2-3 months straight. "Ninjas Play For Free" lmfao!

They finally broke me down and tried it. Heck no other game besides SWTOR was being advertised so heavily so i figure it must be good, plus the trailer was badass..... and I... like.. ninjas!

That was August, this is now... I feel hoodwinked  -_-

These who says that Warframe isnt real F2P game are not real gamers. If you simply playing game call farming or grinding you are not gamer, I love warframe and i play it a lot and thereby I get resources I need to build something I like. Warframe is most exciting when you farm something and that feeling when you collect all materials for your favorite weapon or warframe = priceless (i platinum only spent ond slots and cosmetics and I would never buy warframe or weapon for it, because this isnt interesting). When I craft everything i wanted and level it up to 30 then Warframe stop being so interesting to me and i take a 2 month brake of Warframe and start playing againg after update when new things arrive. Warframe is best when you farm somethin. Warframe is one of the few real F2P games, where you even cosmetics (like helmets) can get without buying it. Congrats DE, you are the best and keep up good work.

But I agree with that who said that Warframe isnt game about ninjas. We need more stealth based warframes (like Ash, Loki, Banshee), we need 1-2 stealth game mode (where you need to complete mission undetected), we need to stealth gameplay is equaly rewarded like kill-em-all gameplay. DE work on it.

P.S. Sry on my S#&$ english :)

Edited by Asko

Currently, the only long lasting... "gameplay"... Warframe has is grinding and farming. While we do get new weapons every update and new frames during each major update with (sometimes) interesting mechanics and abilities, the novelty of these wear off quickly because the core gameplay itself is not that great at all. Right now, the only long-standing gameplay we have is grinding and farming. 

While i do agree with your assertion that warframe has lots of grinding and farming, i don't agree that the novelty of these wear off quickly. The variety of warframes, weapons, strategies and playing styles makes the farming fun, for me at least. I'm rank 6 so far, been playing for a couple of weeks, and i'm doing something new every day.  I have a whip, an axe, a greatsword, a swordsstaff, a glaive, a dagger, a longsword, and a set of..punchy kicky things. These all have a different feel, and there is constant novelty.

Certainly i can see it becoming less fun once i run out of new things to try. But the game has already held me for a few weeks, and it doubtless will for a few more at least. Playing the same game constantly for several weeks in a row is a LOT. It's far more time than i've spent on most AAA games in the past decade.

I will flat out say that the novelty of warframe lasts a very long time, and far longer than most games. Dota is the only thing in recent memory to rival it, there's still a lot of heroes in that i've yet to really play with.

Maybe there's not much to the game once the novelty wears off. But by the time it does, i'll have had a lovely experience with this game. It's already been well worth the £10 or so i've spent on platinum

Edited by NanakoAC

Warframe should be buy to play.

Posts like this rally piss me off. You are so ungratefull to DE. They deliver us good and really free game. What do you want? To get  10000 platinums and buy everything in the game. Then what? Will Warframe be interesting for you when you possess everything? If you dont enjoy killing Greeners & Co than this is not game for you, play CoD or somethig else. 

Posts like this rally &!$$ me off. You are so ungratefull to DE. They deliver us good and really free game. What do you want? To get  10000 platinums and buy everything in the game. Then what? Will Warframe be interesting for you when you possess everything? If you dont enjoy killing Greeners & Co than this is not game for you, play CoD or somethig else. 

You seem confused, buy to play is totally different from pay to win.  If it was buy to play then everyone who plays would contribute to Warframe's wellbeing and there would be much less of an emphasis on micro transactions.

Posts like this rally &!$$ me off. You are so ungratefull to DE. They deliver us good and really free game. What do you want? To get  10000 platinums and buy everything in the game. Then what? Will Warframe be interesting for you when you possess everything? If you dont enjoy killing Greeners & Co than this is not game for you, play CoD or somethig else. 

You seem to be forgetting something.

DE IS A COMPANY.

Their entire point of existing is to make money. So, if anything, they want you to buy 10,000 platinum and get everything in the game.

Also, on topic, I agree 100%. We certainly are farmers.