Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Is Shotgun+Punchthrough Worth It?

Redlove108

Question

Which shotgun? 
It's better on some than others. 

Tigris/Hek which have innate high damage and low ammo counts tend to need it. 

Strun Wraith, Drakgoon, less so. Straith has a fast reload, and a fairly fast fire rate and its still stupidly ammo efficient so you're not really gaining alot of extra performance with punch through. 

Boar/Boar Prime could probably make use of it to cut back on ammo loss, but I don't think it's overall as important on them as Tigris and Hek. 

Edited by LukeAura

Yes. I have Seeking Force on my Boar Prime. Very useful at tearing through large mobs. You don't need to cook it up very high. remember punch through values only apply to the thickness of the object you're punching through. And it's accumulative. So if you have  a full 1-meter of punch through, then a single shot can punch through a series of 4 quarter meter objects or 2 half meter object and so forth.

Edited by RawGritz

If the Infested were a more common enemy type, yes. But now, when you're mostly fighting foes that are diving for cover and not very well clustered? Not so much. You're better off saving the slot for raw damage.

The only exception to this would be if you're at a place where you're using a lot of forma and using Corruption Mods that make your spread pretty wide. Then I'd go for Seeking Force to compensate for that wide spread. Personally? I prefer the tighter cluster for close range combat and concentrated pellets. 

I'm debating between two builds with my shotguns and I'm wondering if it's worth having punchtrough on them or not. Anyone have tried this and can give some feed back?

I currently use the seeking force mod on my boar prime, play mainly long runs on mid to high lvl survival, worth a forma IMO to fit it in nicely, plus you could always swap it out for something with the same polarity, if your the type of player that likes to clear hallways and rooms quick and you play mainly survival then its worth a try and also quite fun :)   good luck!

I like having punch-through on almost all weapons. not many exceptions with shotguns. not sure if it works properly on phage? but I haven't tested it in a while. plus, regardless of how many pellets you have, it's great to have at least some punch-through, because a torrent of pellets will still be stopped by a dead body even if the first one or two pellets in a shot had enough damage to kill the enemy in front

I'd say it's a must for hek, which is the only shotgun I used regularly. then again, the status was nerfed, so maybe it's not as important. oh well. I like to not have to worry about minor cover or dead bodies getting between me and greedy milk

On infested, most certainly.

On everything else, well, kinda depends.

I generally like punch-through on weapons, but shotguns are problematic. First, there's the matter of falloff. You lose damage with distance, so punching through enemies isn't quite like the performance you see on rifles. Secondly, there's only seeking force and it has no other effect other than the punch-through. Also, it costs a ton of energy, pretty much requiring a forma or four to cover its cost.

It pays off on swarming enemies (infested) and survival missions where you're going to see a lot of enemies, who have the potential to bunch up in narrow spaces. On more open missions or ones with less resistance (invasions), it's probably best to go with something else.

I gave my Carrier's Sweeper punch through, is the best decision i couls have made. But i don't use Seeking force on the shotguns I carry.

Agree 200% with this. A fully upgraded Sweeper + Seeking force is one of the best sentinel combination I know of. It hits targets behind thin obstacles, enemies or even friends, which compensated very well with the Sentinel's simplistic targeting.

Which shotgun? 

It's better on some than others. 

Tigris/Hek which have innate high damage and low ammo counts tend to need it. 

Strun Wraith, Drakgoon, less so. Straith has a fast reload, and a fairly fast fire rate and its still stupidly ammo efficient so you're not really gaining alot of extra performance with punch through. 

Boar/Boar Prime could probably make use of it to cut back on ammo loss, but I don't think it's overall as important on them as Tigris and Hek. 

The gun I have is the Strun Wraith. I figured that with a punch through It be very effective at mowing down multiple enemies. I tend to find a lot of them clustering together even if it's grineer and Corpus and half the time I'm waiting for a body to fall over so I can shoot the guy behind it.

However I'm not entirely certain it's worth the mod slot to drop in the punch through for it. Since ideally I'd want as much damage as possible no?

It also depends on the frame you're using for best results. 

One of my favorite things to do while using a perma-Invisible Loki build - Radial Disarm every Grineer in range, pop a Decoy to herd them all to a tight cluster, then BAM! ULTRA KILL with a Seeking Force'd Tigris! :D

Yes it is. Generally when using the shotgun you're shooting close range and/or large clusters of enemy. If you can punch through stuff it will work a charm. Dragoon may be the only exception but that's if you regularly bounce of thin walls.

Doesn't the Drakgoon come with  - slot? I use it for Seeking Force and seems to work pretty well for me. Also, charge is OP and has minimal drop off at long range. It's my go to sniper now. 

If I'm not mistaken the Drakgoon's charged shot has innate punch-through. So for that, you'd be better served with a speed buff, for quicker charged shots, and more spammy non-charged shots for close quarters.

I tend to prefer punch-through on my Boar-Prime (admittedly, I'm not rationing forma use on it, so mod cost is non-issue). Mainly it's because the thing the OP mentions, a dead guy up front absorbs several sots meant for his buddies behind him.

For the strun wraith I don't find it as needed, since it's a bit slower. But really it comes down to personal preference.