Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De Please Change Back The Gorgon Firing Sound

vomder

Why was this changed? Not only that, but not even listed in the update log. It sounds bad, like some chain rattling or something. The older deep sound was much better in fitting with the heavy weapon nature of the gun. Can you please change it back.

It sounds more like it used to a long time ago. IMO it sounds really awesome in single shots, reminds me of the 40mm cannon in Titanfall. However, it doesn't sound good in full-auto which is kind of a problem.

The oldest one was the best, orgasmic. I miss it ;_;

For those who are too lazy to search, please listen to it for a while:

For your own convenience watch it in 1080p and skip to 0:45.

EDIT: I just got ninja'd. With the same video...

Edited by Roxorium

the old sound was crap. this new sound is much better. Back in update 7 the gorgon had a sound similar to this and you could easily tell that a heavy was coming for you. presonally i prefer it to this new sound and i love to see it back but i do like this new sound

oldest sound > New sound > old sound

I think U7 players will agree with the progress :)

+1

I didn't even know there was ANOTHER new sound. This is even worse than the last one.

The original sound was great cause it was intimidating. When I heard it I would think "oh S#&$ a heavy!". Even though I could handle the enemy that sound always signaled a threat. It was great.

oldest sound > New sound > old sound

I think U7 players will agree with the progress :)

This. The pop corn sound it had until a few days ago sounded really lame. The new one is better, but it can still be improved.

The oldest one was the best, orgasmic. I miss it ;_;

For those who are too lazy to search, please listen to it for a while:

For your own convenience watch it in 1080p and skip to 0:45.

EDIT: I just got ninja'd. With the same video...

Oh God it's been too long, hearing the old sound again is like sex

I'll never understand how a sound designer looked at Gorgon and thought 'you know what, let's make this feel waaay less badass'

I watched the video mentioned and searched for other examples, and came to the conclusion that I cannot agree. The sound in U7 was way too over the top for a fast firing heavy gun. It sounded great for single fire, mind you, but once the full RoF kicks in, everything gets blurry and washed out immediately in terms of sound clipping / overlay.

What people keep forgetting from a designer perspective, that it needs to be distinguishable. It doesn't matter how good it fits standalone. It is like mixing and matching frequency ranges of instruments for producing a song and removing overlaps to keep things separate.

The "pop corn" sound helped distinguishing between a lot of Grineer guns firing, when there were many Grakatas and Hinds in the mix, the previous sound was very distinguished. The current one drowns out a bit, as it is not cracking enough. This is especially evident on earth, when Karak sounds come into play. Mind you, I don't hate on the new sound. I can totally believe that people thought the Gorgon for the beast it was sounded too "thin."

I am not going to put in real world applications of existing single-barrel Machine guns, but instead I do something else;

Granted, the previous sound was a bit too "thin". Personally, I would have dropped the key note by one or two half steps while keeping the lower mids and bass toned down. So you still would get that short, cracking sound with a fast attack but the lower base frequency would make it sound thicker. Perhaps a little spike at 6200 Hz to spice it up.

The sound in U7 was way too over the top for a fast firing heavy gun. It sounded great for single fire, mind you, but once the full RoF kicks in, everything gets blurry and washed out immediately in terms of sound clipping / overlay.

What people keep forgetting from a designer perspective, that it needs to be distinguishable.

That's what made it great. It really stood out. When I heard it I'd think "Oh S#&$!".

The new sound just gets lost in the background of the other gun fire.

Please DE, give us back the great Gorgon sound. Make it the Gorgon glorious again. Please.

But don't you see? Back then it sounded and performed like a king, but with all the new shiny weapons/power creep it was no longer king thus the old sound had to go to reflect its current standing with other weapons! ... yes I'm kind of being a wise-arse with that comment.

On a serious note I prefer the old U7 sound as well.

That's what made it great. It really stood out. When I heard it I'd think "Oh S#&$!".

The new sound just gets lost in the background of the other gun fire.

By "new" do you mean the current one or the middle one? Because I found the middle one stood out wonderfully. Instantly recognized when the Gorgon kicked in.

The new one gets more drowned out because it is just not as pronounced. And the U7 one, I still dunno. great single shot but basically sounds too over-the-top and crowded.

By "new" do you mean the current one or the middle one? Because I found the middle one stood out wonderfully. Instantly recognized when the Gorgon kicked in.

The new one gets more drowned out because it is just not as pronounced. And the U7 one, I still dunno. great single shot but basically sounds too over-the-top and crowded.

The new one mainly. The middle one did stand out more than this third one though.

If it were over the top too much they could have just tweaked it. DE has a problem of overhauling something rather than just tweaking it.

Good sounds add to the "cool" factor of weapons. If they want the Gorgon to be used they should consider more than just stats.

Would tend to agree : Old Metallic Brutal Sound > New Sound > Popcorn gun.

However, that does not convey how much I love the new sound!

Compared to the Popcorn gun, it is like audio heaven, @DE_George and the team I really appreciate this improvement.

I was worried for a second that only the Wraith got this new sound, thank the lord the normal one has it too.

Heavy Gunners sound so much better, and my 5 Forma'd Gorgon will still see use once I 30 the Wraith.

Edit: To clarify new sound is awesome, just not quite as awesome as the original Gorgon.

Edited by Egg_Chen

The new sound is good...has a nice metallic snarl to it, but it needs more oomph to it.

that metal rattling sound isn't the bad part of it, its the fact it sounds like a suppressed nerf gun when actually firing bullets. Heavy gunners might as well be shooting bbs.

I've realized what is disturbing me with the new Gorgon sound, nailed down where this "washed out" sound comes from.

It is the reverb. Each and every shot adds about half a second of reverb to it, which not only causes an irritation to our ears because no other weapon I've encountered does that, and because it doesn't change with the current room / tileset you are shooting in.

Removing this reverb from the gun, and suddenly it feels a lot more solid and clear-cut.