The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Question For The Nerds: Rifle Amp Vs. Corrosive Projection

Namacyst

Question

23 answers to this question

I was thinking about this recently but never got round to doing any maths to find out an actual answer.  I decided to go for Corrosive Projection because it benefits secondaries and powers as well but only in T3 missions where Gunners and Lancers take an age to kill.

27% more Rifle Damage vs. 30% less Enemy Armor

Let's talk about effects and scaling at low, mid and lategame.

Usefullness vs. Enemy types.

Your opinions?

/discuss

Rifle damage is generally better, i think, unless you have all 4 tenno stack corrosive projection.

You should also consider whether you use your secondary a fair bit (e.g. brakk), because rifle amp won't work for that.

Oh, and melee.

Corrosive projection. Not every team mate has a rifle or is always using their primary. Corrosive projection also helps your skills do more DMG as well. 

However Rifle amp is better against infested as they have no armor. 

Corrosive Projection is farrrrr better against mid-high level grineer, and even arguably in the Void. Better for Grineer units, but obv worse for Corpus/Ancients.

Rifle Amp stacks additively with Serration and Heavy Cal, making it only worth about 10% damage at the best (6% at worst). It only works on rifles (not snipers or shotguns anymore) and wont effect powers.

Corrosive Projection is a significant increase in damage to any armored enemy (read: Grineer, Bosses) and works with all damage types.

Edited by Darzk

For example, a Grineer with 500 armor would reduce damage done to ~37.5%.

A Grineer with 350 armor (30% less) will only reduce damage done to 46%.

Increasing damage done from 37.5% to 46% is an increase of ~22%.

And 500 armor is reached by level 15 or so.

At 100 armor, base for most Grineer, CP is around +8% damage. Still, imo, better than Rifle Amp.

Edited by Darzk

They use different polarities. If you're gonna Forma the slot just take Energy Siphon.

is it possible for the grineers to have 0% armor?

i mean with all 4 stacked u have 120% armor reduction

It's more likely to be a multiplicative stacking, aka 0.7 ^ 4 = .24, or a 76% Armor reduction.

Edited by BadAimbot

Energy Siphon

Nice of you to bring it up because this is essentially the reason why i made this Topic.

Energy Siphon and Corrosive Projection share the same polarity and since i use damage abilities alot it's nice to be able to swap more energy for more damage once in a while.

For example, a Grineer with 500 armor would reduce damage done to ~37.5%.

A Grineer with 350 armor (30% less) will only reduce damage done to 46%.

Increasing damage done from 37.5% to 46% is an increase of ~22%.

And 500 armor is reached by level 15 or so.

At 100 armor, base for most Grineer, CP is around +8% damage. Still, imo, better than Rifle Amp.

Thank you for doing some math here (i suck at it). This explanation is exactly what i was looking for and supports me in my decision to Forma a "-" Aura Polarity on almost every frame.

Rifle Amp is not that good when there is only one person using it. Assuming you have a maxed out Serration, a single Rifle Amp is only about a 10% increase in damage, and that's only if people are using weapons affected by Rifle Amp. If you are one of those using a maxed Heavy Caliber as well, it's only about a 6% increase in damage. If you get 4 people stacking up on Rifle Amp, that's a potential 24-40% increase, which is better, but of course requires you to sacrifice all your auras for it.

Assuming a level 30 Napalm (~1150 armor) and completely neutral damage, you will be dealing only 20.6% of your original damage. Applying a single Corrosive Projection aura will allow you to do 27.1% instead, an increase of 31% damage over Rifle Amp's 6-10%, or from another view, an extra 19% damage if you replace your single Rifle Amp with Corrosive Projection (assuming only Serration and single Rifle Amp).

As your armored targets continue to scale, Corrosive Projection will become more effective in comparison to Rifle Amp, as well. And of course, Corrosive Projection benefits more than just those primaries.

IMO the ideal setup for Grineer is 3x Corrosive Projection and 1x Rejuv. Those freaking Bleeds.

You can reduce them to 0 armor, but dont go to 120%. It gets wierd and buggy, sometimes amping damage by rediculous amounts, but sometimes making units invincible. Dont think they ever fixed this.

CP>ES for Grineer any day; just kill more stuff and get orbs. ES is only good if you're killing slowly (etc solo) or not using Fleeting Expertise for max duration builds.

Feel free to forma away your V polarity auras. But please people, consider keeping your D polarities on non-healing frames. Your teammates will love you for it when facing Grineer.

IMO the ideal setup for Grineer is 3x Corrosive Projection and 1x Rejuv. Those freaking Bleeds.

You can reduce them to 0 armor, but dont go to 120%. It gets wierd and buggy, sometimes amping damage by rediculous amounts, but sometimes making units invincible. Dont think they ever fixed this.

CP>ES for Grineer any day; just kill more stuff and get orbs. ES is only good if you're killing slowly (etc solo) or not using Fleeting Expertise for max duration builds.

Feel free to forma away your V polarity auras. But please people, consider keeping your D polarities on non-healing frames. Your teammates will love you for it when facing Grineer.

My only issue with Rejuv is that it doesn't tick if you are currently under a DoT. It reactivates once the DoT wears off, though I suppose this makes it valuable for downtime between fighting stuff or when traveling from place to place. If you have a Trinity, you probably won't need Energy Siphon OR Rejuv, especially if you're carrying some Team Restores with you.