The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Any Other Cool Free To Play Titles?

Marshall

I am looking for free to play shooters that are not totally crappy due to various reasons like actual pay to win or whatever odd mechanics.

I'd appreciate any help on finding something new for me because I am running out of games that I don't grind through.

The game

- should have a desktop installation [standalone application].

- should feature player accounts [progress + in-game career].

- should have appropriate game style and mechanics [first person view is good, over the shoulder is also fine. game character should be a customizable soldier]

- must be online for player versus player combat.

- must have focus on shooter/-simulation. eg RPGs are not very welcome

- must not require Steam or similar platforms like Origin (since I don't use those)

Here's what I've already tried in the recent years:

Warframe (duh)

America's Army

Uberstrike

Arma 2 Free

Tribes Ascend

Battlefield Play For Free (and similars like BF Heroes)

Blacklight Retribution

Ghost Recon Online

Project Blackout

SKILL Special Force

Planetside 2

Quake Live (and similars like Warsow)

Warface

Crossfire

Soldier Front 2

Global Agenda: Free Agend

Blackshot

Brickforce

Combat Arms

Firefall

Operation 7

Renegade X

War Rock

Tactical Intervention

Wolf Team

Or, perhaps he just missed it? He's trying to help you, he doesn't have to post anything. Being too picky won't help you.

Sorry for being harsh about that. I was a little bit pissed off on this day. Still trying to find something on my own though.

can try blacklight retrbution, need a good computer for it, can also try hawken if you into mech combat although i dont know if it have non steam version.

you dont loose anything except tiny amount of space installing steam, there are alot of nice games in the free to play section and steam dos alot of sales so atleast give it a try if you ever buy games online.

Edited by BloodHungryKitten

can try blacklight retrbution, need a good computer for it, can also try hawken if you into mech combat although i dont know if it have non steam version.

you dont loose anything except tiny amount of space installing steam, there are alot of nice games in the free to play section and steam dos alot of sales so atleast give it a try if you ever buy games online.

Hawken has completly migrated to steam, it did have its own launcher back in CBT

I don't want to turn this into a Steam discussion, but...seriously you're missing out. I can understand being wary of Origin (I am too) but Steam is pretty open with its policies. Everything is very well organized and there are sales upon sales upon sales upon sales upon..well, you get the picture.

I got Far Cry 3 for 5 bucks. Civilization V for 10 bucks. I can go down the list of relatively recent games that were put on sale for the price of a combo meal at Mcdonald's, or a medium sized pizza from Pizza Hut, but I'd be typing all day.

edit: nevermind about my suggestion. It's an RPG. Really, if you want F2P shooters you're probably gonna have to just suck it up and get Steam. Seriously, what's wrong with it that makes you adamant about not using it?

Edited by SoulEchelon

Greetings, fellow no-steamer! All the respects to you.

APB sucks anyway, it has turned in a completely pay-2-win game last year, so you did not miss a thing. Seriously, if you don't want to put money in game, APB is not for you.

Funny, though I do not like online games that much, I have something for you. Basically, because my friend is hardcore online player. Anyway, you can try World Of Tanks. Personally I didn't like it at all, but millions of people are fans of this game, so who knows...

Edited by Dansilent

APB sucks anyway, it has turned in a completely pay-2-win game last year, so you did not miss a thing. Seriously, if you don't want to put money in game, APB is not for you.

Funny, though I do not like online games that much, I have something for you. Basically, because my friend is hardcore online player. Anyway, you can try World Of Tanks. Personally I didn't like it at all, but millions of people are fans of this game, so who knows...

World of Tanks is pretty arcady which I play or you can go with War Thunder which is somewhere along the line more realistic, but its a hell of a grind at later tiers WOT is around tier 7 where its a grind fest and War Thunder around Tier 3/4ish. 

Honestly the pay2win in APB isnt as good as you think, ive managed to take on enemies that had them just fine, your skill matters much more than anything else, also its been about half a year since i last played it but, arent most of the powerful weapons free anyways?

Though you will have to pour money in if you want more access to customization.

Also @ the OP

I think you should probably checkout microvolts, however, i must warn you, the game is based off toys fighting for survival aka over batteries.