Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Epilepsy A Legal Issue

dashashou

With the new hated flashing banging mines , out i was rushing a Grieneer map , and got  flashed 10 time in under 10 secs which was really off putting  and kinda gave me a headache .all which sucks ; made be say jeese what about those people with mild to sever epilepsy?

That question stuck with me , bothered me even , enoth to ask a friend to introduce me to a lawyer friend of his on this question at a barque tonight  .   

This lawyer  friendish took it down to this - he said these telling questions - 

Is it obvious that this could /would cause harm  ?

did they issue a warning that this could lead to harm ?

did they update a release that you have to sign / click ?

Did someone Die? Or where seriously harmed ? 

then he set a google alert for epilepsy + warframe + death . 

SO  yea ...  the underline question really bothers me 

Edited by Ravel7

Its covered in their Terms of service.

d.     A SMALL PERCENTAGE OF USERS MAY EXPERIENCE EPILEPTIC SEIZURES WHEN EXPOSED TO CERTAIN LIGHT PATTERNS OR BACKGROUNDS ON A COMPUTER SCREEN OR WHILE USING THE WEBSITE OR THE SERVICE. CERTAIN CONDITIONS MAY INDUCE PREVIOUSLY UNDETECTED EPILEPTIC SYMPTOMS EVEN IN USERS WHO HAVE NO HISTORY OF PRIOR SEIZURES OR EPILEPSY. IF YOU, OR ANYONE IN YOUR FAMILY, HAVE AN EPILEPTIC CONDITION, CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN PRIOR TO USING THE SERVICE. IMMEDIATELY DISCONTINUE USE OF THE SERVICE AND CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN IF YOU EXPERIENCE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SYMPTOMS WHILE USING THE SERVICE: DIZZINESS, ALTERED VISION, EYE OR MUSCLE TWITCHES, LOSS OF AWARENESS, DISORIENTATION, ANY INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENT, OR CONVULSIONS.

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing. I had to turn down the graphics quality because of all the falshing giving me headaches and hurting  my eyes. Plus I couldn't see a thing and was getting pulverized by the Grineer. Kinda annoying and painful. My solution: Turn down the graphics quality.

Lawyers.

The world would be a better place without them.

Not really.

Lawyers will exist as long as trials exist. be it you as your own representative, or having someone represent you. Not everyone is skilled at speech or stressing points. System is flawed but, its a step up from the alternatives.

I'd rather have robots judge facts and not speeches.

Well in this utopian society of sentient robots capable of rationalizing human error and its weight within the law, I imagine the issue regarding trials would diminish as we have clearly been overtaken by skynet.

as Nariala stated above this is covered already by the terms you accept when you start using the game and similar lines are found in every game since the 90s.

I think it goes back to a popular case in Japan were children got sick from watching Pokemon.

It would be great if there was an option of our graphics settings to tune down the lights and flashes intensity.

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing. I had to turn down the graphics quality because of all the falshing giving me headaches and hurting  my eyes. Plus I couldn't see a thing and was getting pulverized by the Grineer. Kinda annoying and painful. My solution: Turn down the graphics quality.

I already stated that.

Gosh, its your fault if you are epileptic and still continue playing this game or push to grind 24 hours and get a heart attack because of rng.

if you smoke cigarretes and get cancer, is the government liable? 

Edited by Ritchel

It would be great if there was an option of our graphics settings to tune down the lights and flashes intensity.

It would be hard to completely eliminate it however, and it could still occur. You can disable features like bloom and lighting(forget the option name that influences that) to help, as it does reduce the blinding ammount of flashes.

Gosh, its your fault if you are epileptic and still continue playing this game or push to grind 24 hours and get a heart attack because of rng.

if you smoke cigarretes and get cancer, is the government liable? 

Apparently, in some countries, yes.

DUN DUNNNN!

Here's some tips:

Play in a lighted room.

(Pretty obvious. Even without flashes, staring at a monitor in the darkness is bad for you.)

Decrease contrast.

(Contrast describes the difference in color/intensity between different areas of the screen. Dropping this value ought to decrease the intensity of the flash, but I'm not too sure.)

Increase brightness.

(When the flashes occur, the screen goes white. There is a maximum value for whiteness; the screen can only get so bright. By increasing the brightness, you increase the brightness of the normal screen, and your eyes will adjust to this brightness. Thus, when the screen flashes, it will relatively be less bright.)

I'd rather have robots judge facts and not speeches.

Yes, because the Recon Des-In Council has demonstrated such an upstanding history of moral credibility.

Here's some tips:

Play in a lighted room.

(Pretty obvious. Even without flashes, staring at a monitor in the darkness is bad for you.)

Decrease contrast.

(Contrast describes the difference in color/intensity between different areas of the screen. Dropping this value ought to decrease the intensity of the flash, but I'm not too sure.)

Increase brightness.

(When the flashes occur, the screen goes white. There is a maximum value for whiteness; the screen can only get so bright. By increasing the brightness, you increase the brightness of the normal screen, and your eyes will adjust to this brightness. Thus, when the screen flashes, it will relatively be less bright.)

Also don't play for extended periods. DE are covered on this account too, but when the game tells you to take a break, take a freakin' break.

If you have epilepsy you should avoid anything that can cause seizures. Or are you dumb enough to provoke them? Or are you American and dont know that flash and high concentration of fast changing colors on the screen can cause epileptic seizure?

Everything comes down to this: "If you have any disorder, you should avoid anything that might cause getting your disorder into worse state." If you have high blood pressure, you would avoid everything that might cause it to go up.

You might say, "But i might not know that this game has flash animations.", but you should use your brains if you have epilepsy. Everything on every screen can cause epileptic seizure, because moving pictures are basically flashes of light.

Edited by RoboDoge

Pretty much every single video game nowadays have seizure warnings because the littlest set of light patterns (even if seemingly innocuous) can set some folks' epilepsy off. Warframe has it too in their Terms of Use agreement (which you agree to before you play). 

Also, usually if you have that severe and sensitive of epilepsy you shouldn't be playing video games at all for precisely that reason.

Every game has these warnings, does not mean they should be putting in these flashing lights.They broken because they make people feel sick, because they kill you in spawn, because they kill new players outright, because they are found in corpus maps when they are meant to be grineer. because they are in extraction pods.

I hate them so much I spent all day doing grineer maps with synapse yelling how does it feel *(&*^%^$@$!

You don't go pushing people over near caution wet floor signs and saying ahahaha didn't you read the sign