Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Kaz's Fanart Thread (4-16 Corpus Bat'leth)

Syncrasis

Oh my gosh, the response here and on Tumblr has been invigorating!

I only bought 6 flavors at Joann Fabrics (they have a whole candy section, who knew!) and they had about 10 total there but I found the website of the company who makes the flavorings and they have 73 total on their website (and a few extra in different categories). HOW COOL IS THAT

http://shop.lorannoils.com/hard-candy/super-strength-flavors/1-dram-size

Watermelon (the darker ones are overcooked but still taste fine)

tumblr_ndrsxyYEzn1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Rootbeer

tumblr_ndrye80QSk1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Orange

tumblr_ndsj8bpmD91qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

If you spot any hair-like strands, those are actually threads of candy, it's starting to get all over my candymaking setup lol will have to give it all a good soak tomorrow before I continue.

Edited by Syncrasis

Oh my gosh, the response here and on Tumblr has been invigorating! I'm going to have to send an email to DE sooner rather than later asking permission to sell these, aren't I?

I only bought 6 flavors at Joann Fabrics (they have a whole candy section, who knew!) and they had about 10 total there but I found the website of the company who makes the flavorings and they have 73 total on their website (and a few extra in different categories). HOW COOL IS THAT

http://shop.lorannoils.com/hard-candy/super-strength-flavors/1-dram-size

I can only really make small batches so it wouldn't be like a big time business thing or anything but I think it would be a fun side project to help me pay my bills. ANYWAY

Watermelon (the darker ones are overcooked but still taste fine)

tumblr_ndrsxyYEzn1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Rootbeer

tumblr_ndrye80QSk1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

Orange

tumblr_ndsj8bpmD91qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

If you spot any hair-like strands, those are actually threads of candy, it's starting to get all over my candymaking setup lol will have to give it all a good soak tomorrow before I continue.

OMG they look so good, I hope you get permision, and that they're reasonably priced! I'd love an assorted bag! (minus buttered rum, that sounds nasty :P)

I was looking at the concept pieces in the codex today and really loved a few of the Grineer concept sketches, so I did my own based loosely on them.

tumblr_ne5f81cgrx1qdt0m6o1_1280.jpg

He's got a bit of a ribcage-like structure covering his very minimal chest/tubes and the ribcage flips up to reveal a bunch of toxic vents. Surprise!!!!

Well! Gosh! Since my pumpkin got shown on the Dev stream yesterday and even got quite artistically re-created, I thought I'd share it in my fanart thread for safe keeping. 

My favorite quote of the evening: "is there a tongue in there...?" 

tumblr_ndxzkyLxbP1qdt0m6o1_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_ndxzkyLxbP1qdt0m6o2_1280.jpg

Thanks so much! It was a ton of fun to watch omg what a fun stream!

Edited by Syncrasis

tumblr_nei5ovs7zU1tdszgzo1_1280.jpg

Log entry 178

Neural connections severed when Subject regained control of its limbs. Subject went on to destroy gas deployment vents, disabling the emergency termination system, as well as numerous barriers and sensitive pieces of equipment. Manual termination attempted with rapid physical application of sharp metal fragments into Subject’s primary cortical node.

I was told to post this here too. ANGRY SALAD

Well! Gosh! Since my pumpkin got shown on the Dev stream yesterday and even got quite artistically re-created, I thought I'd share it in my fanart thread for safe keeping. 

My favorite quote of the evening: "is there a tongue in there...?" 

-Pumpkin Hek-

Thanks so much! It was a ton of fun to watch omg what a fun stream!

DID YOU REALLY BELIEVE MY FACE WOULD BE THIS SCARY?

-snip-

Log entry 178

Neural connections severed when Subject regained control of its limbs. Subject went on to destroy gas deployment vents, disabling the emergency termination system, as well as numerous barriers and sensitive pieces of equipment. Manual termination attempted with rapid physical application of sharp metal fragments into Subject’s primary cortical node.

I was told to post this here too. ANGRY SALAD

Really makes me think about how far down the drain Alad has gone. Once a powerful member of the Corpus Board, now struggling for his life alone against his own creations.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished my Captain Vor bobblehead yesterday and drove him over to DE's offices in London, so now I can finally share the finished piece with you guys! Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take nice photos before leaving him in DE Steve's capable hands, so this cellphone photo of him perched atop a napkin dispenser will have to do.

tumblr_nftkqosHLw1r28itgo1_1280.jpg

I did, however, take photos of his primered state so I will share those as well.

tumblr_nftkqosHLw1r28itgo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nftkqosHLw1r28itgo3_1280.jpg

Now on to my next project... Alad V

heh heh 

yes.

Your dedication is inspiring!

So let me get this straight;

You modelled Vor in Maya.

Had the model 3D-printed Had it delivered / or in parts?

Assembled it Painted it by hand?

It´s a really good piece, care to share some more about how the meeting at DE:s office went?

Allso, in terms of money, how much did it cost to make this?

I am asking since I am going to recreate / make my own pose and weapons possibly, the statue by Excalibur and the Grineer head. I am not aiming to be a exact replication of that, just in the same spirit.

Therefore I am really curious what it might cost.

Edited by arch111

Ahh, ok! So, here's how I did it:

I started with orthographic sketches, and made a low poly model in Maya that I rigged and textured (you can probably skip the Maya part, I just happened to want to do a low poly too). Then I posed the low poly character and imported him to Zbrush and added all the surface details. I had to cut him up into 4 parts: head, body, stand, and his left arm is a separate piece. I hollowed everything out  to save money on the printing costs. Then I had the pieces printed through Shapeways. They require that each piece you print be no more than 1 million polygons, so dividing the parts up also helped me get a higher resolution overall. Each part cost around $40 and the character stands about 4" tall. The last thing I did was make a silicone mold from my stand piece and recast it out of polyester resin, so that it's a solid part and much heavier than everything else. It worked quite well!

Shapeways prints in a variety of materials with a range of pricing. I printed my parts in their most expensive plastic with the highest detail, but if you wanted to print something larger and didn't care as much about the fine surface details you could save a lot of money going with a cheaper print method. 

Oh and to paint him, I used a thin primer and then Citadel paints to paint him by hand. These are made by Games Workshop and generally used on Warhammer 40k and similar figurines, so I thought they'd do well for Vor. 

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Thanks alot for the detailed process!

I see now the steps required. So basically it comes down to the level of detail and the number of parts.

The stand though, how did you know what weight you needed so Vor just didnt fall over?

I am really eager to try this out now. If only I was a gazillionaire so I could buy a printer myself.

• 2 weeks later...