The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×
The Lotus Eaters: Known Issues ×

Improper Gpu Utilization In Void? (Low Fps)

Hypnowings

Hi everyone,

My GPUs are not being utilized as heavily in Orokin Void missions compared to "Normal" missions. Consequently, my framerate drops to sub-30 FPS levels when things get busy with two GTX-670s in SLI. Does not occur in "Normal" missions, only Void. I am attaching example images using EVGA PrecisionX Monitoring from a second monitor below.

This should not be happening. Is there a fix for this in the works, or is there something that I am overlooking?

Rig:

Intel i7-3770K @ Stock / OC (Reverted to stock to troubleshoot)

8GB Memory @ 1600 (XMP Profile)

2x GTX-670 in SLI Mode, PhysX to Card#2 (Stock, No OC)

Corsair TX850 PSU

Win 7 Ultimate x64

Warframe Settings:

Max Everything + Multithread + DX11, 2560x1600

Nvidia Drivers: 335.23 (and about 3 versions back)

Notes for Image below: Themisto, starting area, no action going on, good GPU utilization.

Numbers: FPS 135.60, GPU Utilization Card 1: 62% GPU Utililzation Card 2: 79%

iegign.jpg

Notes for image below: Orokin Void Capture I mission, starting area, no action going on, Poor GPU utilization, GPU clock remains low.

Numbers: FPS 52.19, GPU Utilization Card 1: 29% GPU Utililzation Card 2: 32%

35c0dux.jpg

Edited by Hypnowings

Providing your power supply and cooling system are enough, it could have been cpu. But, you are using a very good cpu, so its either cooling or power supply.

Or its just something that needs to be fixed in game engine itself

Edited by Cemges

Providing your power supply and cooling system are enough, it could have been cpu. But, you are using a very good cpu, so its either cooling or power supply.

Or its just something that needs to be fixed in game engine itself

Yeah, I've been monitoring my temps closely. CPU cooler is a Zalman CNPS9700 that's keeping it frosty. GPUs are getting a little toasty but nothing serious for a GTX670. They run hotter on Themisto and I have not detected any thermal triggers going off in Void.

Forgot to slap my PSU on the config, will do that now! Thanks :).

Since Update 12, Void got a hit in optimization. Basically, it's worse than it was before.

Yeah, it is interesting that my GPUs run at a higher clock on the star map. It seems like the Void isn't utilizing the horsepower that is available.

Optimization of Warframe in ALL locations leaves a lot to be desired.

GPU's sit almost idle at all times. all missions, all situations.

not enough functions are threaded separately, and far, far, far too much is being solely handled by the CPU, and not letting the GPU handle things that it should be handling.

everyone can get a great Framerate at the start of a mission when no Enemies have even spawned yet, and no items are on the ground, and no other players are connected.

once any of those things start happening, the lack of Optimization starts to hurt everyone.

on a side note, your GPU usage on Jupiter is downright ridiculous. if i turn PhysX on (those particles literally add nothing to the visuals of Warframe due to horrible execution, only blind me, noty), i can get the same Framerate (give or take) with my single GPU at a low 60%.

so it actually should NOT be that high. two GTX 670's shouldn't be off the charts in usage higher than my single GTX 760 at a very similar Framerate.

edit:

oh, 1600p. that makes sense then. *shakes fist* finding a good 1600p Monitor that is also good for games and affordable is impossible :(

Edited by taiiat

Optimization of Warframe in ALL locations leaves a lot to be desired.

GPU's sit almost idle at all times. all missions, all situations.

not enough functions are threaded separately, and far, far, far too much is being solely handled by the CPU, and not letting the GPU handle things that it should be handling.

everyone can get a great Framerate at the start of a mission when no Enemies have even spawned yet, and no items are on the ground, and no other players are connected.

once any of those things start happening, the lack of Optimization starts to hurt everyone.

on a side note, your GPU usage on Jupiter is downright ridiculous. if i turn PhysX on (those particles literally add nothing to the visuals of Warframe due to horrible execution, only blind me, noty), i can get the same Framerate (give or take) with my single GPU at a low 60%.

so it actually should NOT be that high. two GTX 670's shouldn't be off the charts in usage higher than my single GTX 760 at a very similar Framerate.

edit:

oh, 1600p. that makes sense then. *shakes fist* finding a good 1600p Monitor that is also good for games and affordable is impossible :(

I've come to understand that warframe optimization leaves a lot to be desired. However, most all missions are very playable and do not dip below 60fps often UNLESS we are talking about void; then, everything goes to hell and it is almost unplayable. I took the screenshots at the start of a mission to keep variables under control and show a distinct lack of GPU utilization that I see across the board in void (as well as my GPU clocks remaining low).

I was just hoping I missed something.

As for the monitors, I've had a great experience with my Dell U3011 (Need calibration/profiling for wide gamut though). It certainly isn't considered an "Affordable" monitor, but hopefully things will change in the future!

Here is my testing. My testing shows poor utilization in the void.

Void Fps

x7u0Qje.jpg

Void Performance

QKYdnXw.jpg

Earth Fps

IpV10st.jpg

Earth Performance

eWvByPh.jpg

Here is a funny one for you guys! When I pause the mission on Earth the GPU utilization goes up into the 80% range.

bLBi4eC.jpg

Edited by Mythblaze

Same here, i'll post a ss soon.

I wonder what is going on and i'm glad its not just me... Was playing a void survival yesterday and FPS capped at 13 after mission start (weird part: before actualy "activating" the survival mission my fps was normal running on 60+)

Oh yeah, after hitting the 35's the infamous "eternal fall" bug happened to me ¬¬

Edited by -lSYNCHRONIZEDl-

-snip-

off topic:

christ man, how can you stand having the fan at 98%? do you have your tower in like, the next room? xD

i see that it's necessary since that's reaching 73°C - i feel as if your 780 isn't getting enough fresh air, as my 760 with the fan @55% tops at 63°C in a furmark burn test. and in actual applications, i've never seen it go above 45°C, same fan speed.

(i totally get there's a much denser set of cores on the 780, but that seems a lot higher than it should be)

edit:

all temps are based on an ambient temperature of ~19.5°C.

Edited by taiiat

Same here, i'll post a ss soon.

I wonder what is going on and i'm glad its not just me... Was playing a void survival yesterday and FPS capped at 13 after mission start (weird part: before actualy "activating" the survival mission my fps was normal running on 60+)

Oh yeah, after hitting the 35's the infamous "eternal fall" bug happened to me ¬¬

Tested again this time showing my core clock speed. Normally I see inconsistent clock speed, however this time the clock speed was rather consistent for some odd reason. The GPU utilization was still low. 

DWc7O5r.jpg

wUy9Fwg.jpg

off topic:

christ man, how can you stand having the fan at 98%? do you have your tower in like, the next room? xD

i see that it's necessary since that's reaching 73°C - i feel as if your 780 isn't getting enough fresh air, as my 760 with the fan @55% tops at 63°C in a furmark burn test. and in actual applications, i've never seen it go above 45°C, same fan speed.

(i totally get there's a much denser set of cores on the 780, but that seems a lot higher than it should be)

edit:

all temps are based on an ambient temperature of ~19.5°C.

My specific 780 is rather quiet at 100% fan speed. I have the MSI GTX 780 Lightning. I also increased the core voltage by 50mv to have a stable overclock. The standard 1097 boost clock was not enough for my taste. I don't accept anything under 1200 on the core. I tested my card up to 1353 but I need to liquid cool that.

Hey guys - the poor GPU balance in the void case is primarily because the Void traps are updating all of the time, across the whole map, every frame. These traps update on the main 'game' thread and take so long it can sometimes look like poor CPU utilization too (because the other threads running effects, physics, collision, animation and rendering are 'fed' by the game thread). U13 has fixes for this and other generic cases of 'stuff far away from enemies and players eating up CPU for no reason'.

That's why you see the big jump in FPS/GPU utilization from pausing the game in solo... this skips all the game thread work to update objects so the other threads all get work to do much faster... including the rendering thread feeding work to the GPU.

TL;DR - yeah we suck, the game thread stalls in some levels (void traps are the worst) but this is fixed (aka: way better) in U13!

TL;DR - yeah we suck, the game thread stalls in some levels (void traps are the worst) but this is fixed (aka: way better) in U13!

Good to hear that there will be some fixes for the void. I always thought it was just because the void was really big compared to other maps and that's why my fps dropped a lot. :)

Hey guys - the poor GPU balance in the void case is primarily because the Void traps are updating all of the time, across the whole map, every frame. These traps update on the main 'game' thread and take so long it can sometimes look like poor CPU utilization too (because the other threads running effects, physics, collision, animation and rendering are 'fed' by the game thread). U13 has fixes for this and other generic cases of 'stuff far away from enemies and players eating up CPU for no reason'.

That's why you see the big jump in FPS/GPU utilization from pausing the game in solo... this skips all the game thread work to update objects so the other threads all get work to do much faster... including the rendering thread feeding work to the GPU.

that what i was waiting for ! thank u !

So we have to wait for the next big update?

We have to wait for a couple weeks then..

=/ Can you just put it on the next weekly update?

So we have to wait for the next big update?

We have to wait for a couple weeks then..

=/ Can you just put it on the next weekly update?

Don't quote me, but I think Steve may be suggesting it's coming this week. 

Looks like I'm wrong. 

Edited by Kinperor

dont want to be the mean guy, but why wait for U13 to fix something like this?

U13 when BTW?

Sorry :( I know it sucks to wait for it. We're holding it back from hot-fixes to make sure it gets as much testing as possible - it is a very invasive change to the way the game thread updates and its important that we don't improve one case at the expensive of another.

Sorry :( I know it sucks to wait for it. We're holding it back from hot-fixes to make sure it gets as much testing as possible - it is a very invasive change to the way the game thread updates and its important that we don't improve one case at the expense of another.

Bigger and more refined fixes are always welcome and worth the wait in my opinion. Btw: De and their fancy white line at the bottom of posts, i also am jealous of that avatar. Too much coffee/ energy drink? Edited by Cemges

Sorry :( I know it sucks to wait for it. We're holding it back from hot-fixes to make sure it gets as much testing as possible - it is a very invasive change to the way the game thread updates and its important that we don't improve one case at the expensive of another.

welp, guess is the waiting game then.

thanks for the answer!