Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

We Need Testing Dummies.

ObviousLee

please give an upvote if you read and like, but see no need to comment.

revision:

The idea, is simple, easy to implement, and would be an exceedingly valuable tool to the tenno who are struggling to determine what their arsenal is capable of.

since DE is going to be adding a  "personalized ship and or pod" to the initial login to get away from the whole ninja floating aimlessly in space grip we've seen so far, a "simulation room" of sorts should/ and should be added.

Here is my proposal and set up.

As you login, you are greeted by your tenno sitting in his/her command chair aboard her/her vessel. Here, you can do all the things you normally do already, (change equipment, upgrade mods and weapons, etc.) with one new addition to both warframe itself, but personalized craft/clan dojo as well.

You go to the holodeck in your craft/dojo, and select your training type, enemy numbers, levels, and faction, spawn number, AI behavior (attack, hide, flank, stationary, etc.) and a limited size(in terms of floorspace) tileset to begin your testing in.

A simple standing console that already exist in the tile sets can simply be added in, and utilized for a variety of test modes.

Sample test modes: target practice - stand/run around and test/improve your accuracy through enemy ai driven movement patterns, or a hangman style platform that drags stationary (or kicking and screaming, for all you sadists out there) enemy test mobs around the screen in various patterns, circular, zigzag, etc.

Group test - This mode would be for testing damage with group buffs, abilities, damage potential, and essentially team work. The premise is really simple - work together, survive together. i feel personally that this mode will benefit clans that focus on competitive events and game modes.

PVE TTK mode - Enemy holos attack whichever target is programmed into them, such as enemy spawns. this mode is honestly kind of just for fun, but there is some insight that can be gained. and bets. tenno make bets on who would win in a fight. lephantis or prodman (we all know prodman whipped dat jackal). The tactical gain in this however, is with the many, many changes coming to us in the future, we will be able to adjust fire, so to speak, a lot easier when we are aware completely and utterly of how we, our abilities, and our weapons interact with the enemies we fight in a form other than on paper calculations.

Weapon Lockers - Here, you would select a weapon, owned, or not, and manipulate it's level, forma count, and loadout in a similar manner to warframe-builder, or dpsframe. In doing so, you will be able to test builds in real time, without having to leave the dojo, relog back into the dojo after minutes of fiddling around in the arsenal ui mode, and then finally fire the freaking weapon. Another benefit to this, is that you will be able to know precisely how a weapon will perform, at what level, in tightly controlled environments, all before you even start leveling the weapon.

How this can be controlled, while not limited - you gain holo deck scans from your codex, initially starting with 3 mobs from each faction as a base line to start with(this will give brand spanking new players the same ability to perform weapon tests and improve their accuracy if they wish, without giving them everything Lorehounds have scanned and earned for their own clans holo deck) as well as weapons must either have been owned, currently owned, and/or if in a clan at least one clan member must have the weapon or have had it at any point in time. therefore, clans with a lot of weapons, can to a lot of testing, however, if one person has everything, then they provide a sort of foundation for players to rebound off of in terms of which weapon can do what that they dont have but you do, type situations.

The biggest advantage to the implementation of this system, is it will make it FAR EASIER to actually attain a form of balance in this game. we all know those monster paper dps weapons, and we all have seen DE put out some weapons that surprised even them. This system will allow players to field test their weapons in a stress free environment so we can actually see what our weapons are doing as opposed to the whims and waysays of others.

This also allows us to see if a weapon is TRULY overpowered or if it simply excels. Instead of having to forma, level, forma, potato, and forma again, hunt down every last mod, and go to wave 50 for half an hour just to see what it does against level 100 mobs we can now test it, see if we even like it in the first place, and see how it performs against all forms of enemy in the game, and do balance adjustments quickly, and more efficiently than ever before.

please submit all comments and feedback at least in a constructive form, and remember, you know you ALL want to take a snapshot with prodman.

Edited by ObviousLee

the general principle is that you would be allowed to dictate enemy position, movement, aggression mode(or none) and fully test your goods out without having to level, hop into a game, and risk losing anything.

all around win win to me.

Maybe the area can be similar to the Mastery Test rooms? Blank with simple obstacles and the enemies are projected like holograms. There could be a console near the entrance-way that lets you change gear, enemies, etc.

blank rooms would honestly probably be less hardware intensive due to the lack of texture......could give a nice little solid frame rate to REALLy pull out the stops and see what you're doing in the game damage wise.

plus, sweet screen shots with bosses.

and who doesn't want to know what their weapon does against a level 100 mob without having to sit in defense all freaking day.

This is an idea I have spoken about with clanmates before, and all of my subordinates were on board with it, I think Lee and I have even discussed it in Region US West a few times. ADD THIS PLEASE!

we have, but i wasn't sober enough to really refine the idea to something that would generally appeal to the masses, link in to lore a bit, and still not be a computing and coding nightmare.

I like the idea (especially the codex tie in). Although, this could cause some issues for those with lower specs (not that that is any reason to stop this idea). With some limits it could be pretty cool.

thats why i like the suggestion of the blank mastery tile set. less hardware usage.

Sounds good a holoroom would be easy to introduce just use an opaque texture or "alpha" add static to enemies that are spawned and even options to set level of enemies, also could add a function to where when at 1 health simulation ends.

i like it. gives room to quit when you feel you have sufficiently tested.

1- walk into testing range

2- spawn max number of mobs

3- rambo.gif

4- feel like boss

Oh my god all of my this. and in the smallest room with a max-rank Soma with Punch-through. OH my god the extascy...

Sounds good a holoroom would be easy to introduce just use an opaque texture or "alpha" add static to enemies that are spawned and even options to set level of enemies, also could add a function to where when at 1 health simulation ends.

I really like the idea of a modified version of the obstacle course, so that it can hold all the tile-sets within itself (just a single tile at a time, however).

I really really like this idea owo

this sounds like a excellent idea, i also noticed someone mentioned lower level people and not having enough codex scans, i do kinda agree about it being unfare to them, but at the same time being lower level they couldnt really handle higher level fights even in test runs techinically this will atleast let lower level players get a idea of how well they will do early game to mid game. By mid game standards  players should be experienced enough to understand elemental combos & much more to carry over to late game.

re-read original post, maybe instead of firing range could be a test range, with game types included - enemies only drop ammo, can help with team work & best frames for game modes, it may be a bit much and a firing range could be a little easier but it seems like a good idea to help players not only with there weapons but team work & much more.

lets be realistic

spawning a whole map not likely.

being able to choose faction enemy, and enemy level... quite possible.

A one room firing range that doesnt change locations like a holodeck... also possible.

while it would be verymuch badass, the idea must be kept within the confines of what the engine, our devs, and what mynki's permissions microchip is capable of.

anyhow.. then we must discuss locker rooms to change our weapons (arsenals in the dojo, not actual locker rooms silly).. are you forced to leave/reload every time you wanna change something? can everyone just try anything, with all weapons/mods available?

also... is it for strictly build testing, or is it also capable of target practice?

this idea opens up a can of worms that i think would intimidate the devs away from implementing anytime 'soon'

Edited by T4LCOMX

lets be realistic

spawning a whole map not likely.

being able to choose faction enemy, and enemy level... quite possible.

A one room firing range that doesnt change locations like a holodeck... also possible.

while it would be verymuch badass, the idea must be kept within the confines of what the engine, our devs, and what mynki's permissions microchip is capable of.

anyhow.. then we must discuss locker rooms to change our weapons (arsenals in the dojo, not actual locker rooms silly).. are you forced to leave/reload every time you wanna change something? can everyone just try anything, with all weapons/mods available?

also... is it for strictly build testing, or is it also capable of target practice?

this idea opens up a can of worms that i think would intimidate the devs away from implementing anytime 'soon'

considering we have access to almost every single tile set in the game, a small single room tile set of varying scenery shouldn't be too hard to make happen.

interior lockers is actually a fantastic idea, looks wise, as well as functionality is concerned.

target practice? why the hell not? thats a FANTASTIC idea! that would give players a chance to kind of actually train for mastery tests.

i would prefer access to our weapon cache's without the need to exit the dojo and reload, which would honestly just be a major paiin in the &#!, as its not only time consuming, but there's always the chance of the game crashing and/monster lag.

you see, a can of worms, i see a treasure trove of potential.

I'd very much like to be able to take control of the virtual environments the skill test challenges exist in to do this sort of thing, perhaps even being able to customize maps/arenas to further tailor training experiences. Though how would one access it? Perhaps both an option to enter it from the arsenal, as well as from within a physical room in the Dojo?

I'd very much like to be able to take control of the virtual environments the skill test challenges exist in to do this sort of thing, perhaps even being able to customize maps/arenas to further tailor training experiences. Though how would one access it? Perhaps both an option to enter it from the arsenal, as well as from within a physical room in the Dojo?

the developers are trying to edge away from the whole "floating aimlessly in space" them we currently have, and are going to buiilding something akin to a pod or personalized ship that you see your tenno upon login. so mayhaps a vr training room onboard your ship/pod and one as well in your dojo to have observers/competitors?

We are already capable of switching our weapons out in the middle of a run to some degree, are we not? Is that not what happens to some extent when we rescue a target and give them our weapon? We lose our secondary, clearly not on our Warframe, and the hostage gets a weapon that has the same color scheme and seemingly the same power as the secondary as we gave them. We can give an NPC a weapon. Unless DE uses an absurdly inefficient design scheme, it should not be a huge leap to do the same for us.

All the elements are there already in some form. Assuming you just used a stripped room with nothing but a console to access a menu, you just need some player callable method that does what the game does regularly - call an enemy of x type and y level into location z. Summoning mobs into the test room via a console should actually be a very easily implemented mechanism, literally no issue at all. You can already do it to some extent with Moas.

While I'm usually wary of oversimplifying things, this should not be that big a deal. The weapon loadout thing is probably the only real issue here actually worth discussing, and that's partly because we don't really know how it works under the hood.

We are already capable of switching our weapons out in the middle of a run to some degree, are we not? Is that not what happens to some extent when we rescue a target and give them our weapon? We lose our secondary, clearly not on our Warframe, and the hostage gets a weapon that has the same color scheme and seemingly the same power as the secondary as we gave them. We can give an NPC a weapon. Unless DE uses an absurdly inefficient design scheme, it should not be a huge leap to do the same for us.

All the elements are there already in some form. Assuming you just used a stripped room with nothing but a console to access a menu, you just need some player callable method that does what the game does regularly - call an enemy of x type and y level into location z. Summoning mobs into the test room via a console should actually be a very easily implemented mechanism, literally no issue at all. You can already do it to some extent with Moas.

While I'm usually wary of oversimplifying things, this should not be that big a deal. The weapon loadout thing is probably the only real issue here actually worth discussing, and that's partly because we don't really know how it works under the hood.

precisely: we have all the tools inherently on hand, just need the access to certain settings to make this an easy addition to warframe.

so i guess the real issue is how to swap weapon loadouts...possibly a rotating pagoda that houses current mods and weapons owned by players that can be selected which takes you to a toned down version of the arsenal ui?

this sounds like a excellent idea, i also noticed someone mentioned lower level people and not having enough codex scans, i do kinda agree about it being unfare to them, but at the same time being lower level they couldnt really handle higher level fights even in test runs techinically this will atleast let lower level players get a idea of how well they will do early game to mid game. By mid game standards  players should be experienced enough to understand elemental combos & much more to carry over to late game.

what about a stock set of enemies a new-low ranked player is highly likely to encounter within their first few days of playing. like a starting stock of 9 mobs, 3 of each faction, then you build from there