Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Fist Weapons Ever Become Useful?

Frenzlin

I know that melee 2.0 is coming out and that the fist weapons will most likely be reworked, but I still fail to see the point of using fist weapons when I can have a giant sword which can potentially kill 5 enemies in 1 hit.

I just don't see how the fist weapons can become useful, they all require major overhauls fundamentally. They simply don't do enough damage or hit enough enemies to justify using them over something like the Orthos. I guess DE could make fist only mods that made it so that the more stamina you have, the more damage your fist weapons do, but even then i doubt the fist weapons could compete with melee 2.0 revamped swords/polearms.

Any ideas for improving fist weapons?

usefulness aside, I find SOME fist weapons fun... kogake and obex.

I do find some stuff desirable:

* they are usually fast

* higher crit chance?

* finisher seems powerful and more bearable (due to speed. really hate finisher on other weapon types)

* feels like a beast (especially if one leaps around, land with an opening slam attack, and proceed to punch and kick asses in a wild frenzy)

Oh yeah, there is always the "catalyst" that can make most melee weapons more berable: Loki.

Hope that whatever was reworked do not take away the fun parts.

Edited by smithf

I imagine fist weapons will feature a higher hit counter and faster execution of moves compared to larger weapons, allowing them to increase their damage output quicker - and most likely the damage will be focused on what you're actually hitting, not what/who you aimed at when you started your attack (essentially, meaning you can hit multiple people with your strikes if you do things right)

But obviously that is just speculations, we'll know more once the update actually hits.

They pretty much all just need a straight up buff outside of Melee 2.0. Fist weapons require you to pretty much go up and hug the enemy - IMO they are the highest risk weapons, and therefore they should have the highest rewards. If I have to get so close as that heavy has their barrel at point blank range from my face, those glorified boxing gloves better do a crap ton of damage.

Edited by DJ_Redwire

I would withhold judgement until melee 2.0, where I expect most melee weapons to be viable. the combo system will likely allow fast weapons such as all the fist weapons to rack up a high combo quite quickly, which will give you more damage. however, i hope this will be capped, as fast weapons will otherwise be broken. right now, ankyros prime had a nice knockdown with its jump attack, which was a good utility, at least

I'm hoping we get some cooler looking fist weapons. but anyway, just be patient, melee 2.0 is basically warframe 2.0. everything's going to be different

Ankyros Prime is plenty useful in Melee 1.0.

- Stunlocking with regular attacks.

- Ragdolling with charged attacks. (add Blast and send the enemy flying!)

- High-damage finisher move.

- Decent Status/Crit.

I know that melee 2.0 is coming out and that the fist weapons will most likely be reworked, but I still fail to see the point of using fist weapons when I can have a giant sword which can potentially kill 5 enemies in 1 hit.

I just don't see how the fist weapons can become useful, they all require major overhauls fundamentally. They simply don't do enough damage or hit enough enemies to justify using them over something like the Orthos. I guess DE could make fist only mods that made it so that the more stamina you have, the more damage your fist weapons do, but even then i doubt the fist weapons could compete with melee 2.0 revamped swords/polearms.

Any ideas for improving fist weapons?

um, fist weapons aren't meant really for damage, however as opposed to knockdowns, they excel.

the Obex, modded for blast and status, has quite the knockdown capability. if you put a max reach on it, the AoE knockdown is not only increased in size, but it also seems that the knockdown is absolute with the exception of large bosses (lephantis and his ilk). although not monster damage output, imo next to death, they give the ultimate CC in that they make any jump a mini rhino stomp.

um, fist weapons aren't meant really for damage, however as opposed to knockdowns, they excel.

the Obex, modded for blast and status, has quite the knockdown capability. if you put a max reach on it, the AoE knockdown is not only increased in size, but it also seems that the knockdown is absolute with the exception of large bosses (lephantis and his ilk). although not monster damage output, imo next to death, they give the ultimate CC in that they make any jump a mini rhino stomp.

very true. I find that even blast is optional. think there is inherent knockdown in all impact damage? (sorry, did not pass Armor 201). Obex is so gleeful to use that my only lament is that it levels up too fast (once at 30, I'll put them aside unless I forma them. But there is always the fear the DE will come out and spoil another day by releasing Obex Prime after we dump some forma-tatoes into it.)

With fist weapons, atm, the jump attack is key. Landing the hit does wonders. The radial damage does wonders. The actual swinging, not so much. The slide attacks are decent on the quads(obex, kogake), but a bit off on the duals.

- Ragdolling with charged attacks. (add Blast and send the enemy flying!)

- High-damage finisher move.

Those two used together demolish heavy grineer units. It seems each punch of the finisher uses the charge damage value.

Dont compare a fist weapon with a heavy weapon. a big, two-handed, heavy weapon is totally different from a gauntlet weapon. they should never compare. once melee 2.0 comes out i will only assume that its mobility and speed will be the benefit of fist weapons, and daggers alike. they will be able to strike quick and allow you to evade danger easier. a heavy weapon will require you to be in the face of the enemy more, and take the damage so you can deliver your own attack.

I myslef know i get hit less when i use daggers and fist weapons. sometimes building even that short charge time for heavy weapons gets me downed. yeah i kill people easier but i go down easier with heavy weapons too. Sure you can get rhino and just tank the entire thing but high leveled maps make even iron skin useless. 

TL;DR It is about how you use a weapon that makes it great. not the stats it carries. Plus aesthetic choice is always important.