The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Katana In The "warframe - The Sword Alone" Video

Seij

There is a huge discussion about that over in the other post mentioned earlier.

But the quick answer is:

1. Tradition

2. Safety when drawing the katana in a real life situation

3. Efficiency of the draw.

Also it allowed the longevity of the edge of the sword. Prevent it from dulling out due to contact with the sheath :)

WAIT WAIT WAIT!  Don't Samurai wear it on the side. Ninja on the side (blade up) or the back to keep it out the way for free-er movement and unrestrained hand-to-hand combat and jujitsu.

EDIT: Well if it's  Ninjato or a Shinobigatana I would think it would go on the back. A Ninja with a very long Katana at his hip, is not very practical. I hope we get a Ninjato as well.

Edited by RawGritz

There is a huge discussion about that over in the other post mentioned earlier.

But the quick answer is:

1. Tradition

2. Safety when drawing the katana in a real life situation

3. Efficiency of the draw.

Ah. Thanks for that!

If that Katana is to be added in addition to the upcoming melee update...

PLEASE!

Please please please, have that Katana worn the other way up.

I don't know if anyone else knows much about Kendo or Iaido, but the katana is worn the bladed side up.

Doesn't Digital Extremes do research on this stuff before making them? I mean even some anime that portray much less realistic content have got this part right. I would expect Warframe's next update that focuses heavily on melee to at least present melee with integrity.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I don't know if anyone would like to add to this. This IS in the feedback category right? So here's my feedback.

Also, you might think this is disrespectful to the developers, but what they've done is disrespect the sword and it's art. Just my 2 cents.

and Ninja DONT use katana... They actually used Ninjato... also they held swords differently to the samurai. So I don't think there has to be a proper way to hold it. Since its not even a TRUE ninja weapon. No historical evidence that shows it. Not to mention it takes a literal life time to master it. Hence why its not a good weapon to use in a zombie apocalypse.

Actually, looking stuff up, they need to make sure that, if they do it that way, the sheath has a flexible point of rotation, and is in front of the waist, rather than the shown fixed point at the waist.

HUGE difference in what's possible that way.

and Ninja DONT use katana... They actually used Ninjato... also they held swords differently to the samurai. So I don't think there has to be a proper way to hold it. Since its not even a TRUE ninja weapon. No historical evidence that shows it. Not to mention it takes a literal life time to master it. Hence why its not a good weapon to use in a zombie apocalypse.

Actually, there's no evidence ninjato existed before ninja fanfics created them.

I'm quite sure it's just easier to animate a 3D model sheathing a katana with the blade facing downwards. Reduces the effort of having to precisely manipulate the weapon and sheath angle. Friend I spoke to calls it "Lazy man's animation". Similar weapon also happens to animated with sheath down in the Dynasty Warriors/etc series with that headband guy/etc. Note that the developers of the Dynasty Warriors/etc series happen to be located in Japan.

EDIT: I can communicate in Japanese but find it awkward to use a loanword when there's already an accurate analogue in the English language.

EXTRA EDIT: Back then, they were all just 刀. The classification craze is a modern thing.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Actually, there's no evidence ninjato existed before ninja fanfics created them.

Pretty much. Ninja were usually (as far as we can tell - we don't know a lot about ninja for obvious reasons) disguised as samurai (who would wear katana or tachi), kumusou monks or peasants - kunai were originally farming implements, similar to the western trowel. 

It's likely that they would just use whatever they had on hand.

Like Jackie Chan.

Ah, finally it has been confirmed and resolved. I saw Geoff look over my thread a few times, but there were never official confirmation over my thread, so thanks Megan for confirming the fix.

That sword looks way too samurai for a space ninja....

And yet we use guns, rocket launchers, grenade launchers, swords of the size of a boat, huge axes and jet propelled hammer, living weapons, etc, and there's no issues with that...?

Pretty much. Ninja were usually (as far as we can tell - we don't know a lot about ninja for obvious reasons) disguised as samurai (who would wear katana or tachi), kumusou monks or peasants - kunai were originally farming implements, similar to the western trowel. 

Like Jackie Chan.

Exactly, and as peasants, they were usually farmers.

That explains everything.

Edited by Casardis

Ah, finally it has been confirmed and resolved. I saw Geoff look over my thread a few times, but there were never official confirmation over my thread, so thanks Megan for confirming the fix.

Exactly, and as peasants, they were usually farmers.

That explains everything.

You mad genius.

Like Jackie Chan.

How about cane swords? Would those count as a viable weapon?

Meanwhile, the Bo is ignored =(

http://youtu.be/CJbgkl1OnP0?t=19m56s

But it can be wield both way depending your fighting style -_-

Not really. The Tachi, predecessor of the Katana, is sheathed blades down, and is shaped differently from a katana. Its quick draw technique isn't as effective as the Katana either precisely because of that, which is one of the reasons samurais started switching to the Katana (first strike and quick action often meant victory in their battles).

There's another style which involves quick draws holding the scabbard horizontally, but not blades down. Additionally, the idle position of the scabbard would still be upward; the user would turn the scabbard themselves horizontally for their quick draw style. This style is the Musou Shinden-ryuu

Edited by Casardis

True! No real antique Ninjato has ever been found--at least last I heard. No blacksmiths have ever been known to make them or heard tales of their predecessors making them either.

It seems more likely they used wakizashi (shorter katana) with a large square Tsuba mount. DE could explain the large scabbard or Saya... Many Ninja used the extra Saya length to store poisons and other items to aid their stealthy hit and run tactics. That's where Ash could store his smoke bombs. LOL!

http://youtu.be/CJbgkl1OnP0?t=19m56s

Not really. The Tachi, predecessor of the Katana, is sheathed blades down, and is shaped differently from a katana. Its quick draw technique isn't as effective as the Katana either precisely because of that, which is one of the reasons samurais started switching to the Katana (first strike and quick action often meant victory in their battles).

There's another style which involves quick draws holding the scabbard horizontally, but not blades down. Additionally, the idle position of the scabbard would still be upward; the user would turn the scabbard themselves horizontally for their quick draw style. This style is the Musou Shinden-ryuu

I swear the Bo looks like it's using a Chinese style as a base reference...

Also, I'm hoping the combo animations for the Tenno Katana won't just all be draw cuts. I got sick of that after Dynasty Warriors.

True! No real antique Ninjato has ever been found--at least last I heard. No blacksmiths have ever been known to make them or heard tales of their predecessors making them either.

It seems more likely they used wakizashi (shorter katana) with a large square Tsuba mount. DE could explain the large scabbard or Saya... Many Ninja used the extra Saya length to store poisons and other items to aid their stealthy hit and run tactics. That's where Ash could store his smoke bombs. LOL!

According to random theories, the Ninja-variant katana(I'm going to just keep calling it that) was mainly made from inferior iron in smaller forges that could be hidden. So if these theories are true, there would be a very low chance of discovering a well-preserved Ninja-variant katana in the first place because of rusting.

And according to the Bujinkan bunch(and more theorists), the extra space held everything from poisons to thread to sand. Also, smokebombs made of eggs filled with some dusty material.

Edited by Sadwyrm

Also, I'm hoping the combo animations for the Tenno Katana won't just all be draw cuts. I got sick of that after Dynasty Warriors.

I doubt it will be. Even the trailer alone shows Excalibro drawing the sword and holding it with two hands. I think that the various stance mods will make it so that at least one of them will focus on quick draw moves.

For all the Jetstream Sam fans out there: We need the scabbard facing blades down in order to do his explosive charge attack! (As shown in the gif below)

http://i.minus.com/i3aU1LEi7ya2g.gif

Notice how he has to take his scabbard away from his hip and actually hold it diagonally, almost horizontal due to his kneeling position, as opposed to downward, or else he would be slashing his knee/foot (he's also slashing the ground, but since he can easily slash Metal Gears in half like Raiden, that's not an issue for him XD).

Also, we need his scabbard first before even considering that!

Edited by Casardis

According to random theories, the Ninja-variant katana(I'm going to just keep calling it that) was mainly made from inferior iron in smaller forges that could be hidden. So if these theories are true, there would be a very low chance of discovering a well-preserved Ninja-variant katana in the first place because of rusting.

And according to the Bujinkan bunch(and more theorists), the extra space held everything from poisons to thread to sand. Also, smokebombs made of eggs filled with some dusty material.

Yea those are just that, random theories. Remains of iron weapons have been found dating back much further than feudal japan and the time of Ninja. So if they did exist there is a good chance one would have been found by now. However many wakizashi have been found.

Edited by RawGritz