The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Did You Play Dark Sector?

azour

This review sums up my feelings on DS better than I could:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dark-sector-review

Glaive is neat but that's about it. The supposed difficulty of the bosses is more 'artificial' than you might think; once you figure out their obtuse weaknesses or patterns it's mostly a steamroll.

And this pretty much sums up the Dark Sector experience. Everything seems designed for the initial impression, with little attention given to anything below the surface. The graphics look lovely at first, but soon lose their lustre as you realise what a rigid, fake world they represent. Your brooding avatar, Hayden, is the weirdest looking action hero ever. His lank trendy hairdo and pale, squashed face often makes it look like you're playing some bizarre White Stripes shoot-'em-up. The glaive is fun for the first few chapters, but ultimately proves to be an underdeveloped gimmick that adds nothing more than a different way to kill things.

Sounds like Warframe to me all right.

This review sums up my feelings on DS better than I could:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/dark-sector-review

Glaive is neat but that's about it. The supposed difficulty of the bosses is more 'artificial' than you might think; once you figure out their obtuse weaknesses or patterns it's mostly a steamroll.

Sounds like Warframe to me all right.

even if you know the weakness, and the pattern Stalker will still murder you... That is THE HARDEST BOSS in the entire game for me. Even if you use the glitch to stand by the door. He may not shoot spikes or come near you, but you can't hurt him either so your forced to come out into the open to fight him.

I got it several years ago for like 5 bucks or so at Gamestop.

Played the first few levels, but the clumsy movement system and a few other things made me abandon it.  I always planned to finish it along with other games like Lost Planet and Lost Planet 2 but I've been caught up with other games and RL that I never did get around to it.

I know a lot of you say the glaive was the only stand out thing, but... compared to Warframe. THAT JACKAL RIDING WAS AWESOME!!! Nothing beats controlling Jackal. I hope someday something similar will come out in the game where we can remote control a jackal or something.

I've played Dark Sector on console, but never on PC. What are the controls like, may I ask? I'm fairly curious what it's like on PC.

Wasd for movement, Mouse movement for camera, Ctrl for roll/cover, hold shift for awkward sprints, Left click for shoot bangs, Right click for aiming, Q for grenades, Space for melee strikes and vaulting over cover, C for glaive, 1 for pistol, 2 for rifle/shotgun, R for reload, E for shield/Hold E for invisibility, V for force impulse.

Other than the sprinting, it's kind of basic stuff. Handled well, in my opinion.

Edited by Haldos

Wasd for movement, Mouse movement for camera, Ctrl for roll/cover, hold shift for awkward sprints, Left click for shoot bangs, Right click for aiming, Q for grenades, Space for melee strikes and vaulting over cover, C for glaive, 1 for pistol, 2 for rifle/shotgun, R for reload, E for shield/Hold E for invisibility, V for force impulse.

Other than the sprinting, it's kind of basic stuff. Handled well, in my opinion.

what did the PC use for picking up weapons? (only played on PS3)

Edited by Arlayn

X was for pick ups.

well sounds like a carpal tunnel waiting to happen if your in the heat of battle switching between powers, and picking up weapons lol... Did your pointing finger get a good work out? lol

I loved this game, personally. Great graphics as well. The ONE thing it could've used was a better introduction. Without reading the back it'd be pretty hard to figure out the story.

Actually you put it all together at the end, but when you bought it new on the consoles it was supposed to come with a comic book which told you the entire back story called "Dark Sector Zero"

well sounds like a carpal tunnel waiting to happen if your in the heat of battle switching between powers, and picking up weapons lol... Did your pointing finger get a good work out? lol

Any pick ups were taken after the fight was over since I like to explore as much as possible.To be honest, I never picked up a single enemy weapon because of the Governors. It made any appeal gone in the few seconds I got to use the weapon. I went up to chapter 7 with just the starting pistol and Glaive. I guess I'm just used to it because I never had any issues with the controls, physical or otherwise.

I think the original jackal and that stalker should make a reappearance,

Dark Sector Jackal could kill our Warframe jackal with that cannon fire(and if Hayden is driving it)... good lord I remember how devastatingly awesome that was.

I know a lot of you say the glaive was the only stand out thing, but... compared to Warframe. THAT JACKAL RIDING WAS AWESOME!!! Nothing beats controlling Jackal. I hope someday something similar will come out in the game where we can remote control a jackal or something.

I think if piloting a Jackal was possible during Corpus invasions, the Grineer would never get another supporter again.

"Keep your smelly potatoes, Ruk! I'm riding a Jackal. A JACKAL."

Edited by Paradoxbomb

I picked it up last week in a 3 dollar bundle on bundlestars , played through a few chapters so far because it took me 2 hours to get it to work (it crashed everytime to change res, and doesnt display the correct aspect ratio, with some config editing and 3rd party software im now playing it in 1080p with correct aspect ratio)

Very slow pacing and movement, very gears of war style cover system. Great art, looks pretty good, in a lot of areas it actually looks better than warframe, love you can aim the glaive at certain body parts to cut them off. As much as Ive played so far I think everyone who likes the warframe art or story should play it. Why not when you can get it for 3 bucks