Grineer Hidden Labs: Elevator Survival

Calayne

A great concept

and DE_Steve is reading this.....

Please Steve?

!  *Metal Gear alert!*

*Crosses fingers*

I don't see him, though!  :O

Well, things will be as things will be! I'm personally looking forward to Devstream 27; It's gonna be exciting, hearing what's in store for us, after Melee 2.0! I particularly want to know more about the Melee stances being added into the future, and the Focus system. :D

Anyways, that's like, a whole different topic.

In about two weeks or so, I'll be throwing up some pictures here, as well as in another thread! Until then, fellas! Exams in 6 hours. ^^

One way you could fix the momentum issue is cheat. Make the elevator stationery, and have the walls move down past it. It would look like the same thing without any frame of reference, but snow globe would work and such.

LOL! I think that would work, but honestly, it'd be better to implement a more long-term solution for future cases as well! Moving platforms could be a thing, or just moving in general, so taking care of these bit by bit will definitely help in the long run.

Of course, if that produces more bugs than it solves... You could always cheat.

YES PLEASE, Finally a true survival, that has nothing to do with O2, or time or stuff like that, just the pure survival of us vs them.

To balance things out a bit, the elevator should pass through dispelling gates that remove all buffs and active skills. That way even when Trinity has her blessing, or Vauban his Vortex and what not, they will get dispelled from time to time, balancing it out from time to time, and making the Tenno be ready for a quick change (even tho if you look up you could see where the next gate is).

Edited by Sebastianx

Simple solution, lotus mentions the use of ground based abilities will damage the integrity of the elevator, use them wisely.

Restrict the player to face his enemies with basic abilities and buffs aswell as his weapons.

Easy task. When the elevator recieves too much damage, it will stop working for awhile, keeping its postion.

Enemies can take advantage of that, prepare for some Napalms.

Talking about the hidden labs, I didn't see a tileset actually being a lab.

Breakable Glass tubes, interactable doors, vents to crawl through, wierd vibe when listening to its music...

Having a lockdown on demandby breaking some specimen things.

"Press X to trigger Lockdown"

The jupiter could need a Corpus version of that thing, maybe with even dead versions of Valkyr in tubes...

(She was a part of Zanuka Project and who tell us there was only one Valkyr? )

Maybe sometimes you can hear a warcry of her far from the distance (I hear somewhat similar like this in each Jupiter Mission already, creepy stuff)

Edited by Sypheal

@Calayne

I'm no artist but are you gonna draw some stetches of the grineer mutants?

Totally. 

Though, they're actually gonna be big, beefy fellas. Sorry. XD  We're actually lacking in things just slightly bigger than the Grineer that isn't a ranged unit. The Heavies are nice, but they're ranged and pretty slow, and they don't seem quite as brutish as they ought to be. The Mutant Grunts are about the same height as their normal counterparts, or slightly taller, but much beefier.

The Heavies version of the Mutants, on the other hand, will be rather large. I'll do a size comparison between Tenno and Mutants!

The other mutant would be the female mutants; The Mutant Ravagers. I'm kind of hesitant about adding more CC on top of a swarm, because it will soon look like the old Warframe days when chargers swarm you and beat you to death without you being able to lift a finger. 

The point of each mutant is this, though:

Mutant Grunt: Basic infantry melee unit. Will swarm you, and work as either meat shield for the Heavies and Ravagers, or to sneak in a few hits while you're focused on the Heavies and Ravagers. Basically, the pawns of the chess board.

Mutant Heavies: Tanks, and damage dealers. They're slow, but they have a large, sweeping attack which deals large damage; These are blockable. They also telegraph a slow, lurching charge attack which will knock you back, can't be blocked, but is easy to dodge.

Mutant Ravagers: They're short ranged, and are the zerglings of the Mutants: They're pretty numerous, are small in size compared to their brethren, and storm in with short weapons and fast attack speed. They don't deal much damage, but they're very fast, zig zagging their way to you, then tearing you up.

As a team, these three types will provide a challenge on keeping them from flanking you and shredding you to bits. M Prime, World on Fire, Overload and so on can only help you a little; These enemies are disposable, and many are coming in from the top. 

YES PLEASE, Finally a true survival, that has nothing to do with O2, or time or stuff like that, just the pure survival of us vs them.

To balance things out a bit, the elevator should pass through dispelling gates that remove all buffs and active skills. That way even when Trinity has her blessing, or Vauban his Vortex and what not, they will get dispelled from time to time, balancing it out from time to time, and making the Tenno be ready for a quick change (even tho if you look up you could see where the next gate is).

Sebastian has a good idea, though: Trinity, Loki and Vortex will definitely be pretty crazy here. Occasional dispels with a warning sound may be needed! Or, actually, we'll see how Trinity goes in the future. XD 

Either way, a mechanism to dispel duration powers once in a while isn't too far-fetched in the Grineer's Hidden Labs. They're pretty high tech, after all.

Easy task. When the elevator recieves too much damage, it will stop working for awhile, keeping its postion.

Enemies can take advantage of that, prepare for some Napalms.

That's actually pretty brilliant :O

The point on whether to include an integrity for the elevator is still debatable, though: I personally want this to be a worry-free mission from side-objectives like integrity. This is a hectic, rapid-paced slaughterhouse. Having to worry about integrity may... Slow things down a bit too much, I feel.

The elevator won't get destroyed. This would allow griefing.

The elevator can sustain enough damage, which won't have it stop all 2 seconds, when Nova is going *childish* "OH HAI" *boom*

I estimate 500.000 HP will be enough to keep that thing alive.

When "integrity" goes below 250.000 HP, the Lotus could say "Elevator damage levels exceeding 50%"

Under 125.000, she could say "Elevator damage levels exceeding 25%. Be aware Tenno. More damage to the elevator will trigger its shut down.

Edited by Sypheal

The elevator won't get destroyed. This would allow griefing.

The elevator can sustain enough damage, which won't have it stop all 2 seconds, when Nova is going *childish* "OH HAI" *boom*

Haha, not destroyed, of course, but like you point out, it stalls the elevator. The slower pace and concern for the integrity causing the elevator to stall for a while, I feel, is detrimental to the pace of the game. It's sort of like if you were playing Survival, and your cat crawled onto your head. It's a warm and fuzzy feeling (literally), but the distraction may be unwelcome. Keeping momentum is far more satisfying.

This is the kind of intense mission that could makes me play nonstop warframe, because it relly much more on your team skill than some weird objective (air on earth or some weird placed cryogenic thingie). It could bring so much fun to the game, i hope this suggestion is taken seriously for the future of warframe.

Haha, not destroyed, of course, but like you point out, it stalls the elevator. The slower pace and concern for the integrity causing the elevator to stall for a while, I feel, is detrimental to the pace of the game. It's sort of like if you were playing Survival, and your cat crawled onto your head. It's a warm and fuzzy feeling (literally), but the distraction may be unwelcome. Keeping momentum is far more satisfying.

The integrity is nothing to worry about. You won't lose when it hits zero.

You may lose when it hits zero and grineer starts swarming.

The only thing you may care about is your Health :p

And maybe the counter how far your height is from the ground level.

The integrity is nothing to worry about. You won't lose when it hits zero.

You may lose when it hits zero and grineer starts swarming.

The only thing you may care about is your Health :p

And maybe the counter how far your height is from the ground level.

When you have to worry about not going all out, so you don't stall and be overwhelmed, that's sort of another mechanism that holds people back from just going totally nuts XD

On the flipside, we've got the crazy people who will stall the elevator every time they get the chance, so they can farm for maximum EXP, drops, and increase difficulty, which would honestly be pretty cool. 

But still, I feel that any bar other than your life bar on the screen that does something mostly undesirable is one step away from the pure survival this was meant to be. 

Survival till death! Grineer glory!! :P

To sum it up: I'd like to see this replace some boring o2 survivals.

Me too. ^^

You ever feel that maybe the Tenno don't learn from their mistakes? After spending hundreds of hours in survival missions, you'd think we'd have learned to bring our own darn oxygen, huh? Let the Grineer choke to death by themselves. 

THis is one of the best concepts I've seen on this forum. Not only would it be very fun, it's also doable without overhauling large parts of the game (something many fan concepts fail to take into concideration). I mean, it would need the new tileset but that's coming sooner or later anyway.

I really hope DE does something with this.

Edited by ValhaHazred

THis is one of the best concepts I've seen on this forum. Not only would it be very fun, it's also doable without overhauling large parts of the game (something many fan concepts fail to take into concideration). I mean, it would need the new tileset but that's coming sooner or later anyway.

I really hope DE does something with this.

Haha, thanks! 

There's actually a trend I noticed since Earth was introduced: We're getting unique missions and features for each planet. It's really amazing, and the recent addition to Ceres proves that. Jupiter was, sadly, a little behind the times, so it didn't get the unique missions like its later brethren did. 

But even so, I think this trend is a good one that will continue. I honestly thought Tyl Regor would be one of the next bosses to be reworked, considering his premise of a mad doctor has a lot of potential, both lore-wise as well as gameplay wise. Mad doctor stages has always been my favourite since Sega Genesis 2.

That being said, I'm curious what the next tile-sets and boss rework will be (NGGGGGGGH LIVESTREAM! <3)! It seems DE will be focusing on the Dark Sectors for a bit, the new faction, or the infested. These are super awesome. But I do hope that Tyl Regor gets the love he deserves sooner, rather than later! (Though admittedly, the Infested need more love for sure, and the Corpus just next.) 

Neptune would have underwater bases... in which case the o2 stuf would make sense.

But on Europa where I can see the SKY the o2 runs out.. oh well. *chokes outside* Better go inside, need to breathe.

LOL

Ho, but yes, Neptune! That would be interesting to see :O

I know people hate water levels and all, but... Just think about it! Underwater missions... We get to fight sea-creatures, and vehicles, and Grineer Marines stuck in scuba-suits, and Corpus Crewmen in underwater mechs, and Fish-MOAs and stuff.

LAWD. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. 

I'd also appreciate underwater facilities nicely distributed in these underwater levels for a quick breather and breaking the underwater pace with some breathable air.

DE's work on the background scenery have been stunning so far. I really can't wait to see what they do with the underwater levels.