Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Katana Use Two Hand To Hold, Why These Mistake Nearly Happen On Every Game?

cary2010haha

It's about the discipline, not because "i can hold it in one hand make me looks like much cooler and stronger"

and the animation of the skana in the frist trailer is more like a Katana than the Nikana, brandished with both hand and straight cuts.

Nikana is totally not a katana and the katana stances also not katana moves.

Some ppl said it's a Iaido style , but i can said, even the laido use both hands to hold sword after the frist strike if the warrier is not going to  replace the sword back in the scabbard immediately.

Edited by Cary2010haha

It's about the discipline, not because "i can hold it in one hand make me looks like much cooler and stronger"

and the animation of the skana in the frist trailer is more like a Katana than the Nikana, brandished with both hand and straight cuts.

Nikana is totally not a katana and the katana stances also not katana moves.

Agreed. On top of that, pulling the katana from the sheathe into an immediate attack is more of an iaido style, the "one draw, one slice" style.

Agreed. On top of that, pulling the katana from the sheathe into an immediate attack is more of an iaido style, the "one draw, one slice" style.

Failing to see the problem here.  Iaido uses a katana as well.  Can't very well draw from the scabbard with two hands on the sword, either, so it necessarily is primarily a one-handed art.

Edited by pooptaco

because in many shows, movies, and game both in the west and in Japan, they show a fighting style where the Katana is held one handed the the sheath is used as a blocking tool. I could be wrong, but I believe that there is a fighting style with the Katana that does use the sword in one hand and the sheath in the other.

Nikana uses Iaido: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido

In Iaido you hold sheath in your left hand and katana in your right hand. That also explains why Nikana is not unsheated from the beginning, like any other sword is.

even the laido use both hands to hold sword after the frist strike if the warrier is not going to  replace the sword back in the scabbard immediately.

Edited by Cary2010haha

gotta give them some slack too man. i can assure you that the way the galatine is held and how it's used also don't match any style on the world. but if they were to put in all the actual movements ov every technique it'd be a very slow game with the exception of fist weapons

Welsh celtic warriors would just run at you with a giant iron sword and smash

Edited by Judgedeath1

weilding katana length japanese swords with one hand is a legitimate style (hyoho niten ichiryu)

it would require superior grip and unconventional technique from a normal human and tenno are far beyond a humans physical capabilities  

If you hold a sword with both hands, it is difficult to wield it freely to left and right, so my method is to carry the sword in one hand- the book of five rings

of course you definately need two hands to use a cumbersome and unwieldy sword like nodachi but we dont have one of them in the game yet

In space Katanas are used with one hand. Come on, it's common knowledge.

Right? I mean com on, it's like these people don't even reference the galactic manual of I'm a space ninja samurai pirate!

On a serious note, yes, realistically, I've never seen any katana style sword fighting done with one hand. But sticking logic and realism to this game is like sticking a snail to a tractor. It could work if you tried really hard, but it really wouldn't be much fun.

If you absolutely need a reasoning, the suites (warframes) clearly give the tenno sur-human strength which could make it very possible to use a katana 1 handed. Which we would probably do since there are many advantages.

There are 2 points you can make against this, I'll make them for you. 

1.Why they do we not 1 hand the scindo? Yeah, if we're as strong as we are with warframes we probably could, no real explanation.

2.It's no about function of logic it's about discipline and style. There's a good reply to this one, maybe the tenno over time learned to adapt to the extreme strength and redeveloped there sword arts. 

Actually, how is using one hand for a katana cooler? looool.... Sorry, but two-hands on the katana always look cooler... Here, check out Excalibur on the picture behind this very thread to the right.... Imagine him doing that with one hand. Ugly as hell. Where as now with two hands in the picture, it simply looks badass and cool.

Two-hands, realism and cool. Simply more badass. I agree with this idea. Perhaps they could create stances that actually mean just that, stances! Perhaps this is their idea for the future. To create stances for weapons that make those weapons usable in different ways. In which case, if that is what they are going for, not making a two-handed katana stance would be criminal... Looks so unbalanced and crap to be honest.

The first strike when pulling it out of the sheathe looks right, the rest looks like he is waving a wand around. Even on the stheathed katana stance (whatever it's called) the hits following the first hit are with two hands...

Would like to see this changed myself...

Even the Dakra Prime has two handed animations in it..... It simply looks cooler, that's why. (haven't found a Nikana stance myself, but even the primary combo lineup on a Dakra is better...)

Edited by HazaRD-WARRIOR

Want two-handed? Miyamoto Musashi..

I'd want niten'ichi stance mod.

Two swords(a katana and a wakizashi) should be sick.

Musashi is dual-wielding not two-handed, Sasaki Kojirou is the one use two-handed since he using Dai-katana(a Larger and Longer Katana)

Failing to see the problem here.  Iaido uses a katana as well.  Can't very well draw from the scabbard with two hands on the sword, either, so it necessarily is primarily a one-handed art.

Nikana uses Iaido: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iaido

In Iaido you hold sheath in your left hand and katana in your right hand. That also explains why Nikana is not unsheated from the beginning, like any other sword is.

even the laido use both hands to hold sword after the frist strike if the warrier is not going to  replace the sword back in the scabbard immediately.

Well, the more famous presentation of the iaido, at least for me, has always been a "one draw, one slice" technique. Also, Cary2010haha is right that the katana is held with two hands when attacking. The only time the katana is held in one hand is to either draw the sword out, clean the blood from the sword or to put it back into the scabbard.

Source for confirmation for you guys to see (Youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byAgl-b2xFs

Edited by matrixEXO