Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Went Wrong With Melee 2.0?

Etheryon

Hello Tenno.

Im here to ask about your thoughts with melee 2.0 after all those days with U13?

Before I start, I have to apologize for my poor english. Sorry guys, Im a foreigner Tenno ;)

We all know the hype was greater than our universe so now im curious how do you feel when you reached that goal.

To be honest, when I heard about M2.0 i was like 'omgwtfhellyeah!', and when Steve was talking on livestreams about expectations and plans, I felt a bit better than now.

First, I have to say Melee 2.0 is a piece of GREAT stuff and I'm glad its released, also I really appreciate Devs work! 

But! - yea it had to happen, when you are trying to improve your game...

Here are my thoughts about what could be done better, and what made me feel a bit worse after all this hype.

Well, I cant say a broken work about the system, how all of this works and animations are just wonderfull, but I think nearly all of us would say - what the poll on wiki confirms - it still could be something bigger.

What do I mean?

-Its not hard to realize that 'for example', old whip animations had 3 different attacks that were repeated again and again... and now? Yea, heres the worst thing about quick attacks now - weapons are using ONLY 2 attacks. Thats not stylish, even for a quick attack. When you dont have time to equip your melee and situation goes wrong and you rly need to use your 'Nami' for those only 4 swings to save your &#! (i know, most of ppl just tap 4, but its an example) them you look like a spammer, not like ninja :/  I mean you hit only 4 times and you see the same animations twice... It looks frustrating when you try to spam it even more. Thats the point? It could use old animations set, just to quick attacks BUT, this set (at least for some weapons) is already used for the first combo of a stance... Here comes the first disappointment.

How to fix?

Quick attack set should be based on 3-4 attacks, to avoid spam-like behaviour when you dont need to drag your melee.

-As I mentioned, base combos are kinda too short also, coz when you are surronded by the swarm so huge, that you dont even think about performing a wide-range combo, your basic E-tapping should extend with your hit counter.

Solutions?

I see 2 ways here:

-extend 1st - basic combo of every stance to about 5 taps of E instead of 3 and repeat

-add similar but a little modified animations when your hit counter shows a new multiplier. I mean for those first hits you do normally, you combo looks like now, but when you reach 1,5 and 2 multipliers, your animations are like your damage - more wild and deadly. So fighting the swarm and continuous fight would be more effective and interesting. Well, for some, I know - pressing 4 is a better alternative... I prefer slashing.

-Next, I think there should be more combos for every weapon, to provide interesting and stylish behaviour of our frames. It might be a pleasant surprise when you perform a combo even by an accident - I bet you would react with 'wooah!

-In some cases, using melee shouldnt stop you. Really! Its frustrating when you fight with light weapon and stop to perform swings... blah! Are we ninjas or kids that have to wonder if I can hit or how to step forward? I repeat - its all about light weapons. Its sure you wont run and smash arount with heavy hammer...

-Grinding stances. Well, to trully taste the new system, we shouldnt play like a nolife... Drop should be common and uncommon ONLY.

-We still cant fight flying targets :/

-the last thing I think is missing, is a claw weapons type. We have fists, hands and feet, but we can only punch with them. Well, Valkyr has claws but shes also punching with them :P I think we could cut with something attached to hands, hmm? Returning to whips, we could have a Tenno whip, based on steel chain and the blade... To feel like a ninja, not like a fisherman like some says.

The conclusion?

Its sure I didnt expect all that stuff in melee 2.0 update. Its sure we had to see it and use, to gather knowledge and conclusions about the system. BUT! ALL OF YOU CAN AGREE WITH ME, THAT MELEE 2.0 CANT BE LIKE 'WE'VE MADE IT, LET'S LEAVE IT FOR NEXT 3 YEARS'  because it cannot happen right? Game is evolving, so the system should be improved whenever its possible. Its too important - its how do we fight, so its how do we - ninja - breathe!

And what are your thoughts, Tenno?

Greetings to you and DE!

Edited by Etheryon

I don't like to hold button for channeling. It's not comfortable to me. Switch on/off mechanic would be preferable.

Also I would like to be able to do combos using quick melee attacks.

Continuous grinding for stances mods to see and use all Melee 2.0 features is another bad thing.

Edited by AntLion

Melee 2.0 is fine. It just needs some polish.

Disagreed.

Charge attacks didn't have to go away.

Channeling dmg, crit chance, crit damage are not visible in UI.

Every single weapon has slight variations of E, E, E or E, E, Pause, E, E ,E

You still can't attack what's above you easily.

Attack button being E hinders movement.

Stances were really an bad idea.

i'd rather have an an fun and fluid melee system.. than one that i can "customize" by switching between two mods.

Furthermore, charge removal was really an big unnecessary change, there was nothing wrong with it, not to mention the amazing lack of different combos.

Edited by akkerusia

Disagreed.

Charge attacks didn't have to go away.

Channeling dmg, crit chance, crit damage are not visible in UI.

Every single weapon has slight variations of E, E, E or E, E, Pause, E, E ,E

You still can't attack what's above you easily.

Attack button being E hinders movement.

Which are all polishable.

The foundation is solid. The ideas are good. We just need to relax while all the edges are smoothed.

Melee 2.0 is fine. It just needs some polish.

Noone said its crap stuff. But, we should point certain things to help DE improve, dont you think? Sitting and waiting until they come up what we dont like isnt a help. Polish = improve.

Noone said its crap stuff. But, we should point certain things to help DE improve, dont you think? Sitting and waiting until they come up what we dont like isnt a help. Polish = improve.

There's an entire topic for melee 2.0 feedback. If there's any way you want to help them improve on melee 2.0, use the feedback mega thread. Otherwise use the Feedback sections. Posting in General discussion isn't going to get this topic any more attention.

Other wise, yes I do agree if you don't like something about how it is you should point it out. Though, this is the wrong place to do it. :P

Edited by Darkmoone1

There's an entire topic for melee 2.0 feedback. If there's any way you want to help them improve on melee 2.0, use the feedback mega thread. Otherwise use the Feedback sections. Posting in General discussion isn't going to get this topic any more attention.

Other wise, yes I do agree if you don't like something about how it is you should point it out. Though, this is the wrong place to do it. :P

If I'd care of attention... I care about a conversation and ppl thoughts. Feedback section doesnt seem like a correct place for me, because Im not gonna write about every weapon/stance one by one using a form-like tips included there. Its not my point :)

I was expecting something different.  So many elegant opportunities missed, I think.

Like, imagine if when in melee mode, while running you auto-parry (not reflect) damage and the added stamina consumption is low.  Then LMB is a normal attack, and RMB is a parry/feint version of the same animation.  If you RMB in the middle of a combo you'll do a parry, and if you're attacked during the parry animation you reflect the damage and can keep on comboing.  If you RMB outside of a combo (or during a slide, wall  run, etc.) you feint, and avoid damage and close the gap on whoever's attack you dodged.  Then stance mods could modify the four to six attack animations you use and whether they'll be fast and better at attacking or slower with bigger feint/parry windows.

That'd feel way more badass and skillful than the current set up, I think.  I mean, some of the new attack animations look really great, and glowing is always cool, but it doesn't really feel like a whole lot of gameplay was added - mostly just a flat power boost and a bunch of (optional) grind to add another move to your existing EEEE moveset.

I'm still unsure of exactly WHAT Channeling is, and how to use it correctly. Just another point on the list of "things DE doesn't explain well"...

Hold LMB and bam! Now you deal more melee damage.

(Forgot to say that that you consume 5 energy when you hit a enemy)

Edited by Ataire

I feel that the (pause) in the combos needs to removed or replaced with something else, as right now it's just irritating.

I'd also like to see some improved targeting on some of the combos, such as the leap and uppercut in the Rising Lion combo from the Sinking Talon stance.

Edited by Sasquatch180

the problem is the general new melee system itself is locked behind RNG farming for stances on obscure &#! enemies

they could easily fix this by just making 2-3 rare stances drop off every enemy in a tileset (or bosses even)
sure you get to make people go to the other tiles they don't want to go to but it lessens the amount of time/grind and lets people play what they really want to play right now, which is dark sectors/void
im stuck playing cambria on earth farming for a week and im frankly burnt out trying to get a SINGLE stance
no need for this

the problem is the general new melee system itself is locked behind RNG farming for stances on obscure &#! enemies

they could easily fix this by just making 2-3 rare stances drop off every enemy in a tileset (or bosses even)

sure you get to make people go to the other tiles they don't want to go to but it lessens the amount of time/grind and lets people play what they really want to play right now, which is dark sectors/void

im stuck playing cambria on earth farming for a week and im frankly burnt out trying to get a SINGLE stance

no need for this

I know how you feel :P went through this too. Farmed Nikana stance for days, so now I cant really look at Necros and the tileset I loved... Its disgusting now :/ There is a line between 'trying to accuire' and hate... That part of grind crossed this line. RNG is just... ugh! Pain for unlucky ones.

Drop rates on the majority of the mods are disgusting. I've run Cambria 14 times, gotten 5 Fever Strikes, 2 Iron Phoenix, 1 Swirling Tiger and CLEANSE CORPUS! Not a single Tranquil Cleave thus far. (This is going at least 25 minutes with myself as Nekros and usually 1 other Nekros on average.)

I know how you feel :P went through this too. Farmed Nikana stance for days, so now I cant really look at Necros and the tileset I loved... Its disgusting now :/ There is a line between 'trying to accuire' and hate... That part of grind crossed this line. RNG is just... ugh! Pain for unlucky ones.

yeah and the people who got lucky are selling it at obscene prices, as if 40 platinum is still a decent price

maybe when its in the realm of 20 plat i'll consider it