Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Door Heroes

YourBusDriver

MMOs are built around socialization. Would you befriend/marry/trust a random stranger? Then why would you play with a random stranger? Join a friggin clan within your region and say no to random matchmaking.

Matchmaking is the worst thing to happen to MMO. It destroy the social part of a MMO, bringing the game down to a single player game with AIs (what was the last time you actively talked to someone in a random match unless he was annoying the S#&$ out of you?)

Oh look it's Tsukisui again with another comment full of prejudices negativism and empty of any constructive ideas.

Matchmaking IS part of the social aspect, thats how you meet new people, and also, there is a challenge in playing with people you don't know, in those situations is when you actually see how good teamplayer you are, because you need to adapt fast, you think that people in public games are not even people and try to sermon us about sociability? please get out of here, and keep your fatalists negativism to yourself.

I had the most fun when playing in public games, when i encountered good players (probable the opposite of you) 

I will always rememeber this one time in which i encountered a Vauban in an infested survival, he knew exactly where to put his vortex and i was carrying a torid, it was as if we had designed a plan before entering the mission, and we didnt even knew each other, and i had a blast, and so did he, and that was a very important social experience, you think that socializing is hiding behind your friends or your clan, that is a tiny part of socializing.

Also do not think that all of us are rude pricks like you, i talk to people in public games, if i like their color scheme, or their emblems, or if we are doing a good team work i speak to them, becuase its fun and i am a social person i do not treat people in public games like AIs because they are people just like me, you are SO incredibly wrong that i can't believe how you dare come and comment such bullS#&$ without even realizing.

Edited by Orbister

For some reasons, voicing on my own, albeit prejudice opinions is not valid as it lacks of constructive ideas (which was not what I intend to do in the first place, giving ideas that is). Is it that annoying to see people with different opinions?

The good players have mostly vanished and go solo or premade with their friends. Then again, it might just have been my region. Most SEA players weren't very nice in the begin with, those who do (and available to public matches) are so rare you'd better off making a living out of trading Tranquil Cleaves.

What you did there was no different from mine to be honest, pushing ones ideals into another. 

Personally, I don't even understand the terms 'door hero' or 'rusher'.

My best understanding of those two terms is detailed as follows.

Door hero: A 'real man' wannabe badass, who runs into the fray of combat during defense missions and kills every mob in an emerging spawn crowd while his teammates hold his $&*^ for him, by protecting the cryopod.

Rusher: Runs through every exterminate mission he joins at light speed, all the while screaming 'my experience will pierce the heavens' and kills everything in the map, outrunning his teammates in the process and taking the experience for himself.

I had a discussion with another guy about the fact that he constitutes both of these things and his response was something to this effect: "So what if I kill everything? If those noobs can't keep up with me, that's their fault. I always do the most the damage and get the most kills in any party I'm in and I always end up carrying a bunch of leeching slobs, who do nothing but whine about my Rhino. I'm the best, I should get the most experience. I can solo the whole game anyway and the only time I ever form a party is during T3 missions, just to include people for the drops, out of the goodness of my heart. If they're too weak, that's their fault, isn't it?"

He's a bit of a douchebag, but that's beside the point.

I typically solo because I've never been a team player and don't really care to put up with peoples' criticism, when all I'm trying to do is have a bit of fun. 

This guy does the same sort of thing, but when I do have to party with people, I typically go along to get along.

I loathe the idiotic discussion about playing within the lines that arises whenever I disobey the established gameplay norms of any MMO community, so it's easier and more fun for me overall to avoid invoking the impotent rage of these sorts by playing by their rules and laughing when their strategies fail, despite everyone's adherence to them.

Takes the fun out of any game I play, to have to hear some self-righteous ninny prattle on about how his strategy is clearly superior and about how I'm some kind of dense S#&$head for not defaulting to it sooner, so I simply slough the responsibility of decision-making off on the most arrogant member of my team and let them take the blame for the team's failure, should they be wrong, by following their instructions and giving them the helm.

Does this make me an A******?

Of course it does.

Regardless, my brand of douchebaggery is not what's on the cutting board here and I digress.

Are the definitions I supplied above for each of those terms accurate, or have I misunderstood them?

Before you ask, no, I wasn't able to find any definition for those terms anywhere in this thread, despite the numerous requests for them, which is why I'm still quite curious.

This thinking right here is atrocious. Most of these types of thinkers join a online game to have access to more affinity (enemies), then rationalize "If I am the better player I deserve more". How many time do I see the letter "I" in your response. This only speaks of you in not such a enlightening fashion. For this type of behavior, only one solution remains...more deadly traps for rushers.

As for the door heros, they do the same thing join a online game just to get more affinity. It is natural to join for more affinity, but you have to take into account your teammates regardless of the fact if you are more "built" than they are. 

Think about it like this...

If your gameplay doesn't produce a good bi-product to other players around you IE. resources, comradery, experience points among other players (shared). Then, you are being exactly what you are stating above. You are being honest, and therefore that is the ONLY points I could give you. Read your statement again. It has one word all over it "Selfish". Like a kid not sharing a toy type kind. It is rather funny to see someone defend this ideal, but with such zeal. I am not trashing you here, but you merely gave yourself away and defined yourself just like a dictionary definition of a word.

I may have 4-6 formas on my weapons and warframes, but it is about thinking about other players that count. I see a nub ingame and I stick around him/her to support them killing other targets and rez them if needed. This is just an example, and not stating I do this or that.  It is thoughts and actions that provide a certain atmosphere. If that atmosphere is hostile due to your actions. It would be best to check yourself. I can assure that not everyone on the team can be wrong about how they feel. They see someone not playing as a team costing not just them but everyone on the team (time, resources, energy, credits). If you take away from your team you are not adding to the team but subtracting. Sorry, but if your gameplay is of this nature stay solo. It makes your day easier and others.

No moral high ground is to be taken here, but to know where this game's point of sale/advertisement and function relates. This is a CO-OP majority game hence the Term MMO. 

To encourage actual social interactions with other players I am sure DE will implement other factors of the game that will pull gamers in that direction. 

When your in a game, and the Team Synergy is strong. You can clearly tell that is how the game is meant to work TEAMWORK. You in that game are in your natural state of playing the game. It is rare, there is no communication, but the actions of your fellow teammates clearly provides TEAM SYNERGY. Everyone benefits greatly from this experience, but having half of the team operate based on your theory above would work against the entire team.

I definitely don't see the enemy factions not in a group...even a small group. They are more effective. Even the stronger units are grouped together. Thats just the flow of the enemies even though they are AI. It is more effective they are bent on an objective still get the job done as a team. Not a relative example to the effect of Tenno Cells but relevant. 

If players feel the frustration enough to want to friendly fire you for this thought process. Let's see...It might be best to check your theory and gameplay tactics.

Edited by BloodArmoredApostle

This thinking right here is atrocious. Most of these types of thinkers join a online game to have access to more affinity (enemies), then rationalize "If I am the better player I deserve more". How many time do I see the letter "I" in your response. This only speaks of you in not such a enlightening fashion. For this type of behavior, only one solution remains...more deadly traps for rushers.

As for the door heros, they do the same thing join a online game just to get more affinity. It is natural to join for more affinity, but you have to take into account your teammates regardless of the fact if you are more "built" than they are. 

Think about it like this...

If your gameplay doesn't produce a good bi-product to other players around you IE. resources, comradery, experience points among other players (shared). Then, you are being exactly what you are stating above. You are being honest, and therefore that is the ONLY points I could give you. Read your statement again. It has one word all over it "Selfish". Like a kid not sharing a toy type kind. It is rather funny to see someone defend this ideal, but with such zeal. I am not trashing you here, but you merely gave yourself away and defined yourself just like a dictionary definition of a word.

I may have 4-6 formas on my weapons and warframes, but it is about thinking about other players that count. I see a nub ingame and I stick around him/her to support them killing other targets and rez them if needed. This is just an example, and not stating I do this or that.  It is thoughts and actions that provide a certain atmosphere. If that atmosphere is hostile due to your actions. It would be best to check yourself. I can assure that not everyone on the team can be wrong about how they feel. They see someone not playing as a team costing not just them but everyone on the team (time, resources, energy, credits). If you take away from your team you are not adding to the team but subtracting. Sorry, but if your gameplay is of this nature stay solo. It makes your day easier and others.

No moral high ground is to be taken here, but to know where this game's point of sale/advertisement and function relates. This is a CO-OP majority game hence the Term MMO. 

To encourage actual social interactions with other players I am sure DE will implement other factors of the game that will pull gamers in that direction. 

When your in a game, and the Team Synergy is strong. You can clearly tell that is how the game is meant to work TEAMWORK. You in that game are in your natural state of playing the game. It is rare, there is no communication, but the actions of your fellow teammates clearly provides TEAM SYNERGY. Everyone benefits greatly from this experience, but having half of the team operate based on your theory above would work against the entire team.

I definitely don't see the enemy factions not in a group...even a small group. They are more effective. Even the stronger units are grouped together. Thats just the flow of the enemies even though they are AI. It is more effective they are bent on an objective still get the job done as a team. Not a relative example to the effect of Tenno Cells but relevant. 

If players feel the frustration enough to want to friendly fire you for this thought process. Let's see...It might be best to check your theory and gameplay tactics.

Bro, he's not going to take it well...

"I typically solo because I've never been a team player and don't really care to put up with peoples' criticism, when all I'm trying to do is have a bit of fun."

Edited by YourBusDriver

I might open my conversations with a brief explanation of what I'm talking about before launching into discussion in the future. This game and it's love for creating terms for things that already exist continues to baffle the mind. 

Anyway, door guarding: It's only a viable strategy for as long as the enemies are easy enough to pull it off, and therefor only terribly relevant in maps that are easy enough that you shouldn't need other people. The concern seems to be that it makes leveling up your weapons more difficult as a large majority of the spawn is being covered by somebody else; a common complaint during the Rhino/Nova 'map-stomp' age. My advice then would be to go to the recruitment tab and start a party whose aim is to level up weapons. This way you ensure that everyone is on the same page and what you are trying to do gets done. 

Moral of the story, of most stories in any MMO really, is that you can't expect a gold star if you join a PUG. You have to roll with whatever a PUG is doing. For something specific, you make a party. 

The sooner the gaming community at large embraces the concept of basic communication to achieve an objective, the happier it will be. Until such a time, we have threads like these. 

For some reasons, voicing on my own, albeit prejudice opinions is not valid as it lacks of constructive ideas (which was not what I intend to do in the first place, giving ideas that is). Is it that annoying to see people with different opinions?

The good players have mostly vanished and go solo or premade with their friends. Then again, it might just have been my region. Most SEA players weren't very nice in the begin with, those who do (and available to public matches) are so rare you'd better off making a living out of trading Tranquil Cleaves.

What you did there was no different from mine to be honest, pushing ones ideals into another. 

Ok you might be right, i cant say from experience that SEA players arent nice.

My critizism has nothing to do with wanting to force my ideas on you but...

You are basically saying:

"Matchmaking sucks, so whenever (if) i join a public match i treat people like S#&$, because they arent even in my clan and they arent my friends either" 

In my personal experience before i join a public match what i think is the following:

"I hope i get a good group of people so the match is fun and possibly a long one too"

See the difference? i expect people to be nice, and the exception happens when they aren't on the other hand you treat people like S#&$ BECAUSE they are in a public match, you start the match with a negative attitude.

Bro, he's not going to take it well...

"I typically solo because I've never been a team player and don't really care to put up with peoples' criticism, when all I'm trying to do is have a bit of fun."

Everyone's definition of "Fun" varies, but even with that said. You can't call it "fun" when it costs your teammates. If you do then it really is something else that is a problem not necessarily "fun". Fun, is broadly used and it is good to have different opinions. Like I said if it doesn't have a good bi-product it isn't fun. It is a entirely different matter altogether.

Note: Another note on that as well, he stated "Personally", in his address. So, we have another issue or rather he does. It is a personal matter.

Edited by BloodArmoredApostle

I might open my conversations with a brief explanation of what I'm talking about before launching into discussion in the future. This game and it's love for creating terms for things that already exist continues to baffle the mind. 

Anyway, door guarding: It's only a viable strategy for as long as the enemies are easy enough to pull it off, and therefor only terribly relevant in maps that are easy enough that you shouldn't need other people. The concern seems to be that it makes leveling up your weapons more difficult as a large majority of the spawn is being covered by somebody else; a common complaint during the Rhino/Nova 'map-stomp' age. My advice then would be to go to the recruitment tab and start a party whose aim is to level up weapons. This way you ensure that everyone is on the same page and what you are trying to do gets done. 

Moral of the story, of most stories in any MMO really, is that you can't expect a gold star if you join a PUG. You have to roll with whatever a PUG is doing. For something specific, you make a party. 

The sooner the gaming community at large embraces the concept of basic communication to achieve an objective, the happier it will be. Until such a time, we have threads like these. 

look man, off course you can avoid public matches, but the whole point is that if people understand that this kind of behaviour is selfsabotage, and not just some meaningless nagging, we will all have a better experience, do you have any valuable reason to be against mature and constructive communication? if not, do not bother to state the obvious cliche "if u dont like it play private matches" we have seen that many times and its not constructive.

Time to be devil's advocate

So what you're all saying is you're all too stupid to utilise a natural choke point on a map to your advantage?

I get hallway heroes; if you're running away from the life support to kill by yourself you're an idiot and if you get downed I'm not coming to save you.

But stopping enemies at a doorway during a mobile defence? Or holding down the doorway nobody ever pays attention to in a defence mission? Are you you guys for real?

Time to be devil's advocate

So what you're all saying is you're all too stupid to utilise a natural choke point on a map to your advantage?

I get hallway heroes; if you're running away from the life support to kill by yourself you're an idiot and if you get downed I'm not coming to save you.

But stopping enemies at a doorway during a mobile defence? Or holding down the doorway nobody ever pays attention to in a defence mission? Are you you guys for real?

this is not in a literally don't think strategy thread. If you read the OP's post. It is clearly stated that usually they are out of exp range on defenses and such. Holding a spot doesn't constitute what your saying here. Your thinking strategy, a survival mission is different. Play accordingly. Use Critical Thinking on OP's post. It will save some a lot of time wondering what is meant in this thread.

where the fck is it written that ninjas are supposed to be competitive you MUST be trolling otherwise this is the dumbest statement ever written in this forums hahaha you made me laugh hard man... now we know for certain how ninjas are?... so funny, so dumb... we don't even know for certain what the hell ninjas were, only that they were kind of black ops of the samurai era... and as they were clandestine i bet they didnt have a leaderboard with scores... "Ninjas are supposed to be competitive" HAHAHHAHAHA what the hell are you smoking?!

LOL

I thought the same thing.  Just another Narutard kid xD

Something I haven't seen mentioned in the the thread yet is how being a door hero affects the spawn rate. This is mostly relevant to Mobile Defense missions but the gist of it is that enemies can't spawn right in front of you, there's a minimal distance that has to be kept. As a result, the more spread out the team is, the fewer enemies will spawn. What people who camp the spawn points in Mob Def often don't realize is that they don't only lower their team's affinity gains by being outside of the XP sharing range but they also lower their own.

People don't generally play Mobile Defense for the difficulty, there's no great accomplishment by being at the top of the endgame chart and there's no real need for special defensive strategies to complete them. Not to mention that there are existing choke points not far from the objectives on all of the Mob Def maps anyway so there's no need to leave the rooms. There's literally nothing to gain from being a door hero in those missions.

As a side note, the part about spawn rates is also why it's beneficial to stay close to your teammates in Survival missions. It also helps the Nekros players to keep desecrating everything.

Door hearos are that guys in life that are over competitive, and wont admit that. They hide their problem behind "I do that because i want to help", but in reality they are just hoarding unimportant statistics ( kills, damage, etc ).

What constitutes as a Door Hero or Hallway Hero? I've been hearing these terms being thrown around at others but I've no idea what it refers to. Is it someone who rushes during missions?

Not sure if I'm one but I tend to be very relaxed in missions and I take my time to move around but almost always, I end up being the fastest of of my entire team simply because I know the tilesets and I know my way around. Does that make me a Door Hero? o___O"

WTF is a door hero?

Can someone shed some light to me of what a door/hallway heroes are?

Doorway / Hallway heroes are players who camp doorways or hallways close to enemy spawn points in defense / mobile defense missions, away from the defense objective. While tactically, it's not a bad thing to do, most of the people who run Mobile Defense or Defense on some specific nodes (like Kappa) do it for the XP and not necessarily for the ressources (perhaps other than Oxium, but that's merely because Kappa is currently Corpus controlled).

Thing is, XP is only distributed if you are 50m or less from the kill / killer and, following the example of Kappa, people camping that far doorway which leads to the main "Mobile Defense" area of Kappa cuts off XP for anyone actually defending the consoles. To be fair, it's mostly a problem for the first 2 consoles (the pod is closer thus far less chances of not getting XP). There have been instances however of people completely running out of the area through that said door and killing stuff a room over which, again, led to XP being lost for people actually defending.

So really, most who are 'heroing' are either of two cases :

1) They do not know that there's a maximum distance from which people get XP from, thus they spawn kill those enemies thinking they're helping (a minority); those are usually suggested to move back in and do, thankfully, to defend the objective and let everyone in on the fun.

2) They run off to kill as much stuff as they can on their lonesome because they want to have a warm fuzzy feeling from the post-mission game screen by having the most kills, even if they're the only ones who actually care to look at it. They're the ones who'll insult you for telling them how to play as they're being completely selfish in their intent. (a majority)

Type 2 are the ones most looked down upon in the fact they are playing completely solo while paired up with other players which makes you wonder why they don't just run solo or with other like-minded "heroes". Some are outright trolling / griefing using this method; if it comes to insults, feel free to report them. Repeated offenders are usually warned then temporarly suspended for a time if the logs concerning their played games comes into accord to the accusations brought forth by other players.

Add to that door heroing means the loot gets dropped in 2 or more places which means the team has to constantly sweep 2 or 3 different emplacements to gather stuff. If everyone sticks to the same room, the loot gets focused on that room and people can quickly swoop in to collect while remaining in proximity of the objective to defend it.

Holding a chokepoint is not being a door hero.

There IS a difference. One is being part of a team. One is being an a$$hole.

It is if it's done purposefully, far away from the team and the purpose of the mission, as agreed by most player, is ranking up gear. (what most people seek in pubs)

Otherwise, if it's high level defense and survival, it's a viable tactic to keep pressure off the objective IF the goal is high levels and length. (what most people seek in premade teams / clans / friends).

Edited by Wiegraf

It is if it's done purposefully, far away from the team and the purpose of the mission, as agreed by most player, is ranking up gear. (what most people seek in pubs)

Otherwise, if it's high level defense and survival, it's a viable tactic to keep pressure off the objective IF the goal is high levels and length. (what most people seek in premade teams / clans / friends).

Agreed.

I have done both. But I stopped when I realized that my entire team would have to run a LONG ways to get the loot. Not that many door heroes seem to care about that. It's not about the team after all. It's about them.

It's certainly more efficient to have the enemies gather in one place to be slaughtered, but hey, what do I know? I only got 1061 kills last level 40 ODD match. I don't know anything.

May I just ask this, does anyone here know the actually range you have to be to actually get the xp share "bonus"? And just to lay emphasis on the word bonus here I but it within quotation. That is just what it is, a "bonus" you get from playing like a team. If you choose to play like a door-hero you and your team don't get this little extra, I see how this can be a problem for some people. You who say that door heroes rush just for xp, i feel you are slightly mistaken. When I kill alot of enemies I take pride in knowing that it happened because I have put 6 forma on my weapon and it is able to handle the toughest enemies so well. All that just to feel good isnt cause I want to feel better than you, its cause I want to have fun. Also I was unaware of the xp share until I came across this thread. Ive been playing for I think over 10 months now and did not know. I will use t3 defense as an example. Let me ask you all this, what has proven more effective in protecting the pod in any defense, staying in a tight group and waiting for the enemy to surround and shoot at it from all sides or spreading out and squashing them where they spawn?

I am sure we all know this by now, in any defense there has to be a pod guy, the one that sacrifices kills in order to stay by the pod and protect it. Don't start telling me I think like a fool yet cause you should ask yourself first why this strategy works? I will retell one of my experiences in game about a t3 defense mission I was playing where I had a frost on my team who was obviously by default designated the pod-guy. There was a rhino who was managing the spawn point from behind the pod and a nova who was buzzing around priming everything. I chose to stand outside the frosts globe range and protect the door directly opposite the pod, the one in front of it. I was using a bow with punch through and because of that bottleneck caused by the door I could always deal with all enemies coming out from there. The thing is I had too stand a little farther out because my dread has a maxed heavy caliber equipped. This caused a problem for our frost, because the only kills he could get where strays that wandered close to the pod. Unsurprisingly if I wasn't in my current position he would've been able to gun down the enemies at it himself. Can you believe the audacity that this !@$%^* mofo had in him, he actually started cussing me out for being a door hero and didnt once call out the frost or nova. Why? because I was the only one that was actually directly in his way, so I let this suka have his way and I stood by him next to the pod, all the while keeping away strays and basically letting him be selfish instead of being the "selfish" one myself. Turns out this punk &#! ***ch couldn't actually handle them and they flooded out, gladly I was an excal with radial blind and there where other players. Clearly he learnt that the he should leave 'heroing should be left to the pros. 

Basically to sum up the idea from that story, he wanted xp for himself actually and couldnt actually get it. Also he didnt do it properly, he shouldve been closer to spawn point. Also I forgot to add in that I teabagged him after he failed to quell the rush of enemies.

Please if someone actually does know anything about the actual range for xp share with squad members please be kind enough to tell me.

Edited by Shreiko

<snip>

@ 50m.

Anything beyond that and you keep it all to yourself. Loot, XP all that. Oh and if you DO? Kiss off getting any revives from me. Oh, and I MIGHT just let the objective die if I am feeling mean.

Edited by Kalenath

@ 50m.

Anything beyond that and you keep it all to yourself. Loot, XP all that. Oh and if you DO? Kiss off getting any revives from me. Oh, and I MIGHT just let the objective die if I am feeling mean.

Thanks alot but where is this information about xp share published, was it talked about in some very early livestream or something?

I am gonna go back a tiny bit now and ask a question. How does a team have fun and operate to it's fullest without competing? Since for some reason people think competing is a horrible idea even though when people compete it makes them want to try harder and I know that according to the internet being a try hard is bad but CoD players can go suck one.