Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Reworking The Sniper Rifles

CryoClaw

TBH - there needs to be a gameplay side reason to use them.

Enemys far away - in a sniper styled mission perhaps? Something like that.

Example - indoor maps with huge ceilings, some of those ceilings have cover-holes for sniping enemys - they give off a red laser dot for several seconds before shooting for a massive load of damage.

TBH - there needs to be a gameplay side reason to use them.

Enemys far away - in a sniper styled mission perhaps? Something like that.

Example - indoor maps with huge ceilings, some of those ceilings have cover-holes for sniping enemys - they give off a red laser dot for several seconds before shooting for a massive load of damage.

so all the penta-users get pissed? meh

snipers need to be at least on-par with bows to be usable in any mission, but they should still offer some advantages bows dont have, aside from being hitscan, which isnt even all snipers

I just want a sniper mod that highlights enemies through walls like sonar or the codex scanner when you zoom in. Then we could finally put all that punch through to good use.

Come to think of it, enemy sense/radar should do that too. I mean, thief's wit highlights mods, after all.

More varied mods won't really fix sniper rifles. Mandatory band-aids in the form of mods that require grinding/ranking/potentially Forma'ing to fit on won't do as much to fix or promote using Sniper Rifles as much as an actual statistical rework would.

The best idea I could come up with is increasing the Crit Chance/Crit Multiplier on the Sniper series for -headshots only- up to 50%/3-4x respectively

This makes them theoretically superior to bows for single target damage, however they lack innate punch through (minus the Lanka, though it has to charge to gain access to that), nor do they get 100% Crits on anything but headshots.  Snipers will out DPS bows only if you can manage to headshot everything.

tl;dr Sniper Rifles and Bows become sort of similar: Snipers require headshots to do (higher) maximum damage, while Bows have flight time and lower maximum damage in exchange for higher body/non-headshot damage.

Edited by Motakshi

i actually never had much of an issue with my vectis' reload-speed, fast hands alone gets it down to 0.7, any faster and getting headshots would be either extremely hard in the fray or outright impossible (not to mention the horrible enemy-pathing, btu that's another thing)

i can see the problem on lanka, though, but that rifle has a 10-shot magazine by default

yeah enemy pathing. that is annoying.

i usually get so pissed i stuff my barrel in thier face and fire.

they cant dodge that!

Re-introduce the Snipetron as a start first.

Retcon its Corpus existence and make it a Tenno weapon or something.

That means we need to change the models (DE artists u hear me ?) for the Lanka.

no they would need to change the Snipetron not the Lanka cuz the model fits Corpus lore not Tenno. but for having it back i would take it with wrong model anyway

>>SureShot: +X10%, +10% of every 10m away we are from the target

>>Dissapate: OverKill damage keeps propagating forward (Like puncture) until all damage is used up.

those 2 sound great but head shots already hit for more damage and are easier to get with a sniper 

the scopes might be a bad idea, considering DE uses cosmetics as plat-only items, could be put in alarms though, like the helmets (instead of friggin money-alerts, who does those anyway?)

as for primed chamber, it's a farce indeed, one of the first weapons i crafted in warframe was a vectis, only to learn that the single best mod for it is de-facto unobtainable

first plat is not hard to get and someone has to pay for the server so plat only addons are fine by me as long as is not ridiculously priced (*hides his excalibur proto armor*)

and doesn't that mean it could all be fixed introducing  primed chamber again?

I don't know why are you guys talking about Metal Auger but not Shred. It's better in every way.

shred increases rate of fire wich a sniper doesnt really need and gives less punch thru which makes it way worse for snipers

why would you want a crowd control sniper? kinda defeats the purpose of it being that pick off the worst possible enemy from a distance deal.

...because the crowds of normals are much worse to deal with otherwise?

Edited by Dualstar

I just think sniper rifles need to be able to do a decent job at action gameplay and faster pace.

Because that is what they blow at right now....but is the very core of the game.

Achieving that could actually be easy.

Here a list of things that would instantly make all the snipers good: (Aka put them in the upper third of DPS and gameplay value instead of the lowest 20%)

Snipetron and Vulkar:
The 2 "lowbob" snipers with a 4 Clip Magazine and a 4 second reload timer. Half that reload timer.
Give them a raised vital point hit multiplier. (Chest x2 Head x4)

Boom Done.

Vectis. 
Lower reload to 0.7. Give innate puncture.

Lanka.
Replace functionality. Non charge shots will do full damage and be single target with a low proc chance of electric. A Charged shot will deplete the entire battery and actually fire a small but long ranged electric cone with a high proc chance for the innate electric to happen.

Now add all this and snipers will intantly be in the upper third of the dps chart and also have fun gameplay.

Edited by Shehriazad

The game's all about AoE damage, which is pretty much the polar opposite of single target, high damage weapons. All the changes in the world won't make them more popular as long as you can mow through 20 enemies in the same time with your Soma/Ogris.

If DE wanted to make the game less focused around AoE they'd modify enemies and what players have to do to kill them.

The game's all about AoE damage, which is pretty much the polar opposite of single target, high damage weapons. All the changes in the world won't make them more popular as long as you can mow through 20 enemies in the same time with your Soma/Ogris.

If DE wanted to make the game less focused around AoE they'd modify enemies and what players have to do to kill them.

Have you considered the possibility that DE would require significant enough fan feedback to make changes.  Also, if they didn't want to make sniper rifles viable in the game, why would they give them their own ammo type, weapon category, or have them in game in the first place?

Personally I would love mods that allow to change the zoom range, and/or have a special HUD interaction when in sniping mode to indicate where enemies are without having to come out of sniper mode. Like an assist system for finding targets.

-zoom, +reload speed? A nightmare mod of sorts? 

Personally I just wish the 4x headshot damage multiplier was exclusive to sniper rifles themselves rather than critical hits in general. Right now the game rewards the critical chance over the actual headshot, when it should be the other way around. The critical damage should just be the icing on the cake rather than a necessity.

Edited by Paradoxbomb

It is pretty ridiculous that bows do more damage than sniper rifles.  It makes zero sense.  Maybe they just want us to use more ninja-like weapons?

I do like the fact that the Vectis (the only sniper I have and use) does pretty high damage in every damage category (Impact, Puncture, and Slash), but it still can't compete with the bows.  There are some pretty good ideas here.  Hopefully they'll do something ... Anything to make the snipers more viable.

It is pretty ridiculous that bows do more damage than sniper rifles.  It makes zero sense.  Maybe they just want us to use more ninja-like weapons?

I do like the fact that the Vectis (the only sniper I have and use) does pretty high damage in every damage category (Impact, Puncture, and Slash), but it still can't compete with the bows.  There are some pretty good ideas here.  Hopefully they'll do something ... Anything to make the snipers more viable.

I would suggest through critical rate and critical damage buffs in general.  I would also suggest new, more powerful sniper rifles in the forms of railguns, both Tenno (such as in my suggestion https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/208845-railgun-weapon-concept/  )  and Corpus models.  

(also, no, the Lanka is not a railgun, and my topic explains why as to that.  For simplification the Lanka is classified as a Coilgun/Gauss rifle, a Railgun uses a different means of accelerating a projectile.)

I would suggest through critical rate and critical damage buffs in general.  I would also suggest new, more powerful sniper rifles in the forms of railguns, both Tenno (such as in my suggestion https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/208845-railgun-weapon-concept/  )  and Corpus models.  

(also, no, the Lanka is not a railgun, and my topic explains why as to that.  For simplification the Lanka is classified as a Coilgun/Gauss rifle, a Railgun uses a different means of accelerating a projectile.)

more powerful sniper rifles would make the current ones obsolete, we need buffs or unique (and useful) mechanics for those we currently have

though i do agree that more choice never hurts

2.1 Punch-through vs. 1.2 Punch-through + 30% more fire rate. It's not better in every way, but it's definitely better on snipers and bows as the speed is more important.

both of these mods unfortunately take 10+ energy to install, and even metal auger only lets you shoot through a maximum of 4-5 enemies (at least i never hit more than that, if you wanna test it try the long corridor on one side of void-defense)

bows have innate, infinite punch-through through the ragdoll-mechanic

if snipers are to be better they need to have something going for them that bows dont outclass them in, which isnt the case atm and wont be if only punchthrough is added (though that would at least bring them more on-par)

more powerful sniper rifles would make the current ones obsolete, we need buffs or unique (and useful) mechanics for those we currently have

though i do agree that more choice never hurts

I agree

They could actually buff and add like 2 new ones (not at once) to the game

Hell why not even give sniper rifles their own new element?

Maybe some sort of debuff element which would make all other guns dish out more damage

So... After playing around with the Vectis for a while I found myself wanting several things for it:

- Innate Punch Through - Not Bow's infinite "Punch Through" from ragdolls that murder entire Defence waves, but something to help hit multiple targets and to shoot through walls and cover. - If Bows are going to cover the single shot AoE then Snipers should be the ones that take out targets regardless of where they are, be it behind a wall or those pesky Ice Leaders (IMO Snipers should have enough punch through to hit them - Explosives such as the Penta can for example)

- Something that promotes scoping more - It's very possible to no-scope with a sniper rifle, which brings back the feeling of Call of Duties awful sniper rifles... - Things that could be interesting is inherent sniper only damage multipliers when scoped, the previously mentioned mod that shows targets through walls (Would synergize well with the punch through suggestion and really help solidify Snipers as a "Take out targets regardless of where they are" weapon)

Without this I kinda feel like I'm just gimping myself for not taking a Bow which can do higher damage to a single target, more AoE damage, fire faster (So have more DPS) and can be tuned specifically towards the factions (By taking 1 of 3 bows) further increasing the damage lead.

That said, the Vectis is really satisfying for me to use (As a Bolt Action Rifle lover) - Something I'll likely use a lot for solo play.