Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Am I The Only One Who Thinks Warframe Is Missing A Kind Of Dash-Dodge?

FrostGrimoire

While the combat rolls are cool enough on their own, they feel kind of out of place when you're doing a melee only run. I just can't picture a ninja rolling out of harms way, especially if all he has is a katana - or Nikana in this case - which is why I ask this question. I mean think about it, wouldn't it be a nice change of pace if combat rolls are confined to your guns and swift dashes are confined to your melee weapon? It'd be much more stylish and fitting side-stepping around Shield Lancers before they whack you with their shield or even closing the gap between you and a platoon of Lancers or Crewmen as they hide behind cover. Hell, maybe even Channeling can effect how far you can dash at the cost of energy - through mods of course.

Now keep in mind, the backflip is fine - but I'd rather see my Excalibur swiftly dash in the other 3 directions instead of rolling in and out of harm's way. What do you guys think?

Edited by FrostGrimoire

my only problem is other animation took more priority than roll, so usually if you run a melee only and keep whacking enemies, you cant time your roll right and must wait until the attack animation finishes which is really really absurdly annoying

also yeah, these dashes sounds like a nice idea, maybe different dodge animation for frames with higher speed / less weapons equipped?

Two words: Dark Souls.

Being as how that's a popular game right now, a vast majority of players may (Like me) be used to rolling in combat (Often gratuitously) to avoid attacks. I dunno, there may be another reason, but right now, rolling has just gotten to the point where it looks familiar and anything else would be to jarring for me.

I just think that the dodge animation/move should be slightly different for different frames, similar to how different classes had slightly different dodges in ME 3 Multiplayer.  Turians and geth would do a quick hop-step to the side, while some biotic classes would get a mini-teleport.

my only problem is other animation took more priority than roll, so usually if you run a melee only and keep whacking enemies, you cant time your roll right and must wait until the attack animation finishes which is really really absurdly annoying

also yeah, these dashes sounds like a nice idea, maybe different dodge animation for frames with higher speed / less weapons equipped?

Yeah I know what you mean... I totally gave up on the whole dodge-roll thing because of it. And what did you have in mind? I mean I can see very light frames like Loki covering more distance than heavier ones like Frost, but still.

Two words: Dark Souls.

Being as how that's a popular game right now, a vast majority of players may (Like me) be used to rolling in combat (Often gratuitously) to avoid attacks. I dunno, there may be another reason, but right now, rolling has just gotten to the point where it looks familiar and anything else would be to jarring for me.

Completely understandable, but even so - there's a difference between ninja combat and medieval sword-play - regardless of it being popular, rolling out of danger as a ninja just doesn't seem fitting to me.

I just think that the dodge animation/move should be slightly different for different frames, similar to how different classes had slightly different dodges in ME 3 Multiplayer.  Turians and geth would do a quick hop-step to the side, while some biotic classes would get a mini-teleport.

Not a bad idea... I mean as I was writing, I had the idea of them having a similar dashing animation, but some frames - like Loki for example, would cover more distance than say Frost. But now that you mention it... I can definitely see Ash doing a mini-teleport within puffs of smoke.

Dodges other than forward are awkward to initiate. I like the Mass Effect doges better. They come with the Omni Button, though....

Well think of it this way, you dash forward of course, but left and right will be a swift side-step similar to that of GodHand. And by Omni Button, I think you mean Space Bar XD

Dodges other than forward are awkward to initiate. I like the Mass Effect doges better. They come with the Omni Button, though....

ME3 dodges just involved hitting space bar while moving in any direction -- but you couldn't jump.

I wouldn't mind seeing such a system here, but jumps are definitely staying.