Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Solved] Warframe : The Pay2Play Experience

Tatann

Question

Hi everyone,

My point is simple, I really dislike F2P model. I miss the time when you paid for a game once and played it : no subscription, no DLC, no "platinum/gold coins/whatever in-game real money". I don't mean I want to play for free, I mean I don't want to pay to keep playing. So my question is : is there a way to pay a fair amount of cash ONCE and not be "stuck" in this game ?

I've been playing Warframe for about 20h, maxed out the starting Warframe and all equipment, built a Sentinel and my Oberon will be ready to fight in about 30h. I've also built a Latron and a Viper.

So my problem right now is that my slots are almost depleted, which means I'm "stuck". My "demo" of the game is over, I need to spend cash (no problem with that), but I'd like to anticipate how much.

I don't think I'll build all Warframes and weapons, from the videos I've seen I'd say I'd like to try about 10 of the warframes. And I guess about 20 weapons. So to get all these slots, considering the cash price of a slot, it will already be quite expensive.

My fear is that I stumble later on other bad surprises like this and have to pay to continue playing (like getting access to a certain planet, or a particular warframe). Are warframe/weapon slots the only limitation that requires spending money ?

Thanks for your advice

Edited by Tatann

Outside of inventory slots and purely-cosmetic things (like color palettes), everything else can be acquired without plat.  I am rank 11/15 (16 is not obtainable for new players right now) and I have almost every warframe and have ranked up tons of weapons.  None of them were bought with plat, all were built from prints/parts.

You can't trade normal blueprints or created/built weapons/frames.

Only prime parts and some blueprints (mostly prime stuff).

Warframe slots are 20p each.

Weapon slots are 12p for 2 at a time.

Sentinel slots are 12p for 2 at a time.

There's 22 still-obtainable Warframes.

There's 135 still-obtainable obtainable weapons.

There's 6 sentinels.

440 + 816 + 36 = 1,292 plat needed if you wanted to expand your inventory large enough to hold every currently-obtainable weapon, frame, and blueprint at the same time.  $50, about the price of some high-end games, nets you 1000 plat right now.

But there's two things to consider.

1 - One of the login rewards is a plat discount.  I have personally gotten the 20% and 50% ones within the past few weeks, so I know they're in rotation.  They also do plat discounts for some special occasions, and I've heard of 75% off rarely too.

2 - Most people don't buy all that inventory space and will make do with up to like half the space at max because they'll sell off low-end weapons, and not keep around the single version of pistols alongside the dual versions, etc.

Well here you have a very compelte answer. I myself have received six 75% discounts (from wich could use 4).

But the most important thing from this reply is the two points at the end. I am a MR11, have tried almost every warframe but Excal prime, Hydroid and Valkyr many weapons and most of them are what is called "mastery fodder" they're a "take it to 30 and sell it" weapon so you can have the mastery but reuse the slot.

And maybe catalysts and reactors.

You can get those for free, albeit rarely, so I'd still chalk it up to a shortcut.

This is also to take in consederation. Catalyst and Reactos are not a must have but give a great advantage. We have two (one of each) guaranteed at a month, after the Dev stream, the alert last 24 hours so is rarely missed by someone.Tthere will be a time where get more Reactors than you need in game so I wouldn't bother in those, but Catalyst are always welcome.

Edit:

Grammar.

Edited by xlraistlx

you havent done anything yet lol

Thanks for your input rofl

Well here you have a very compelte answer. I myself have received six 75% discounts (from wich could use 4).

I didn't know about the 75% discount, if I get one, I could indeed get a nice bunch of slots for a fair price, which was my main worry.

I havent spent a single coin in the game and have already 4 warframes plus like 10 weapons, you can always max a rifle damage mod and sell it, such thing will get easier as you grew in power, also, if you just dislike the feeling of having to pay for being able to carry more things on your inventory, then you could asume the game as a free class oriented thing, where you will not be able to be everything, and you will be in the road "always" your two main classes, just like it is when you play mass effect, or skyrim. I will actually pay for platinum soon just because i think this game deserves it

I havent spent a single coin in the game and have already 4 warframes plus like 10 weapons, you can always max a rifle damage mod and sell it, such thing will get easier as you grew in power, also, if you just dislike the feeling of having to pay for being able to carry more things on your inventory, then you could asume the game as a free class oriented thing, where you will not be able to be everything, and you will be in the road "always" your two main classes, just like it is when you play mass effect, or skyrim. I will actually pay for platinum soon just because i think this game deserves it

I've played about 800h of ME3 multi. But I would'nt have played it that much if I had only 2 characters to play, there's about 60 characters in ME3 multi, but I see your point for a solo RPG game :)

Something the others may have assumed you knew but maybe don't, only prime gear, mods and keys can be traded or sold, normal stuff like your braton can only be sold back for credits

That's what I thought, my Braton is worth nothing on the market, even at level 30. Thanks for the confirmation. Too bad it's also only worth 2500 credits to sell :'(

I've played about 800h of ME3 multi. But I would'nt have played it that much if I had only 2 characters to play, there's about 60 characters in ME3 multi, but I see your point for a solo RPG game :)

That's what I thought, my Braton is worth nothing on the market, even at level 30. Thanks for the confirmation. Too bad it's also only worth 2500 credits to sell :'(

Dude, here people tend to be a bit sensitive towards the PTW letters being so close to the word Warframe, but as many guys have already suggested, you just have to sell things for plat to other Tennos, currently with your 20+ hours in game, i assume that all you can do without platinum is selling a warframe and then you will have your free slot, mi point is that this game is working so well that you actually can keep and have all your warframes since you can unlock inventory slots by interacting with other tennos for platinum, wich seems pretty rolewise to me.

I can assume that you havent tried selling prime parts or mods for platinum since you have played just 20 hours, i suggest you to get into the recruiting channel, try to join some nice clan, and before you notice, in the process of ranking your new weapons and warframes you will have enough rare mods and prime parts to obtain 20 platinum or more, wich personally has been a very fun process that feels like part of the game at all

well, good luck anyway and sorry for my english, its not mine first language

Edited by rockscl

Sell things over trade via the dojo trading posts, get platinum, and get rid of gear you don't need to keep. You also gain slots every few mastery levels.

Does mastery rank give slots? I haven't gotten any.

This game has the best f2p model ever.

2 weeks ago I had almost nothing.

I have made over 1.5k plat by just trading alone. You don't even have to farm for expensive drops if you know how to play the market.