Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Finally Got Around To The Acrid...

[DE]Momaw

Meh.

The guaranteed DOT is a nifty idea, but the way the toxin damage (fails to) scale makes it a gimmick at best.  Anything that is tough enough to not die instantly to the withering hail of bullets is not going to care about the poison.

Recommend reduce rate of fire and make the poison magnitude base itself off final damage after accounting for elemental mods.

It's not too bad against the corpus, mod it only for poison damage and have fun ignoring their shields

The toxic does ignore their shields. A pity that toxic damage is only effective against the fleshy half of the Corpus army, while the robotic half has 50% resistance to it. :(

It certainly kills stuff, it's not unusably terrible, it's just that the guaranteed poison effect is not a useful feature.

Stack toxic mods, bane mods, and land headshots. The poison scales off both.

The DOT does not scale off elemental mods.  Using a bane mod does affect the DOT, by adding 30% to it.  Using Pistol Pestilence and Pathogen rounds adds 150% more damage to the bullets themselves.

To reiterate: Any enemy that doesn't die trivially to the bullet damage is not going to be fazed by the DOT.   Good pistol against Corpus?  Spending 2 shots (about a quarter of a second) kills a basic goon vastly quicker than waiting for the DOT from a single shot.

The toxic does ignore their shields. A pity that toxic damage is only effective against the fleshy half of the Corpus army, while the robotic half has 50% resistance to it. :(

It certainly kills stuff, it's not unusably terrible, it's just that the guaranteed poison effect is not a useful feature.

It's been proven that a poison build can kill machines about as fast as a magnetic build, even on weapons that have puncture or impact. This is because even though the machines are resistant to poison they have less health than shields. With a regular weapon the poison damage from mods is enough to destroy the health of machines, meanwhile the physical damage is wasted on the shield and becomes useless. Even so it's about as good as modding that same weapon to destroy both the health and shields with magnetic damage.

The acrid has no physical damage to waste on the shields so it is that much better at killing machines compared to a theoretical weapon with the same stats but different damage type. However, I haven't took the time to compare the acrid with other high-end secondaries.

But anyway I'm going off topic, I understand now that your problem is not the acrid itself or the poison damage, but only the DoT. The forced poison proc for the acrid and the forced electric proc for the castanas too and inconsistent with every other weapon in the game, and to me inconsistent means annoying bullS#&$. I'd much rather if DE simply gave these weapon a high status chance and a normal proc instead of a forced and unchangeable proc that is not affected by elemental mods.

What a sad, unproductive thread....

Stack toxic mods, bane mods, and land headshots. The poison scales off both.

Someone doesn't know how status procs work.

False information? We've gone from unproductive to counterproductive. Hooray.

Edited by Aishi

The DOT does not scale off elemental mods.  Using a bane mod does affect the DOT, by adding 30% to it.  Using Pistol Pestilence and Pathogen rounds adds 150% more damage to the bullets themselves.

To reiterate: Any enemy that doesn't die trivially to the bullet damage is not going to be fazed by the DOT.   Good pistol against Corpus?  Spending 2 shots (about a quarter of a second) kills a basic goon vastly quicker than waiting for the DOT from a single shot.

Adding pure toxic damage gives it's bullet damage, and Toxic Status DoT a boost.

There were threads done way back that maximized it's potential, but the majority of players used it as a crutch weapon, so it's long been abandonded by most, so the information has been buried.

Someone doesn't know how status procs work.

False information? We've gone from unproductive to counterproductive. Hooray.

If you wish to correct me, feel free. That's how we learn.

But simply telling someone they are wrong does nothing.

It's sad how people only like a weapon if it's THE BEST BUILD and then S#&$-talk it as soon as it isn't anymore.  Acrid is godly vs Corpus (stack Toxin damage) but mediocre vs Infested due to the damage type and bad vs Grineer due to armor scaling.

Well the gun's design is rather bad. If you actually go into that thread I linked earlier, I explain the three major things that were wrong with it. You now get rewarded for accuracy, sure, but the weapon itself is doing a lot less damage than it was. The only reason people liked the thing was because it was OP- in actuality it was never a good weapon, it was only carried by the fact that it had insanely high DPS once it ramped up. By balancing the damn thing it became trash except to people who actually like its paradigm.

And I guess I'm a hipster, I S#&$-talked it back when it was OP.

Well the gun's design is rather bad. If you actually go into that thread I linked earlier, I explain the three major things that were wrong with it. You now get rewarded for accuracy, sure, but the weapon itself is doing a lot less damage than it was. The only reason people liked the thing was because it was OP- in actuality it was never a good weapon, it was only carried by the fact that it had insanely high DPS once it ramped up. By balancing the damn thing it became trash except to people who actually like its paradigm.

And I guess I'm a hipster, I S#&$-talked it back when it was OP.

As far as I'm concerned any non-OP gun is for flavor purposes anyway.  This game isn't hard.  It's all about flavor, and the aim of balance should be to make all flavors of play fun and rewarding.