Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

To Improve Stealth Gameplay

-Krux-

i'd like to see the ability to press against a wall and have a 'change cover' control to stealthily move from cover to cover.

And a camo index that actually uses your color palette as camo which reflects how easy/hard you are to spot in-game based on the tileset

Cover system? No thanks. Let's do it Thief style, the best stealth game there ever was. 

In order to improve the system, we'd have to change some quick things: 

1) Stealth comes from being underpowered and outnumbered. When i can press 4 and wipe out the entire room i don't really care about stealth. If stealth-focused missions had enemies naturally two or three times their typical level (or more) - imagine enemies level 80 or 90 on Pluto - we'd think twice about running in guns blazing. As soon as the alarm rings... you know you're dead. (Stealth kills still kill.)

2) Better AI patrolling. Less random walking against each other/clumping up in groups of 4 and well, more separated, organized and vulnerable enemies. The MR9 test is a perfect example of this - but typical missions aren't that way. We instead get groups sometimes of four or five enemies all clustered up in the middle of the room, making stealth impossible unless you're Ash or Loki.

3) Rewards. Players find the current stealth un-rewarding. How about this: Increase dramatically storage crate and locker drop chance/credits. But they all lock down as soon as the alarm rings.

Cover system? No thanks. Let's do it Thief style, the best stealth game there ever was. 

1) Stealth comes from being underpowered and outnumbered. When i can press 4 and wipe out the entire room i don't really care about stealth. If stealth-focused missions had enemies naturally two or three times their typical level (or more) - imagine enemies level 80 or 90 on Pluto - we'd think twice about running in guns blazing. As soon as the alarm rings... you know you're dead. (Stealth kills still kill.)

2) Better AI patrolling. Less random walking against each other/clumping up in groups of 4 and well, more separated, organized and vulnerable enemies. The MR9 test is a perfect example of this - but typical missions aren't that way. We instead get groups sometimes of four or five enemies all clustered up in the middle of the room, making stealth impossible unless you're Ash or Loki.

3) Rewards. Players find the current stealth un-rewarding. How about this: Increase dramatically storage crate and locker drop chance/credits. But they all lock down as soon as the alarm rings.

So long as it isn't like the stealth system in Thief 4 I'd be happy with any change that promotes stealth.

While I agree with all 3 points you made....

SOON

Pick-pocketing with a higher chance for rare mods.

Edited by Ailith

I have a better system of improving Stealth gameplay. It involves some development for DE to work on though, on every tileset too... So what I mean by that, I mean rework and visit some of their finished work. Going to all of the rooms and such, adding some additional things like crouch-required vents, adding them at places that no enemy (Most of them) can not get into. As far as getting detected and alarms setting off. Make it so Control Modules are able to be destroyed, what makes this viable is so that they won't be to use it, however in some portions it may be a necessary thing not to destroy it as well because being alerted isn't always a good thing too (Only exception is being able to unlock the doors, gotta progress somehow! Or there can be vents that go into other rooms too).

A cover system would definitely compliment stealth well, and would be nice to have in general. The game doesn't reward you for being mobile or acrobatic, thanks to the AI.

Stealth 2.0

AI 2.0

de pls

exactly, it's the best way to do it because it keeps you mobile and it doesn't stray from tenno way of infiltration.

Is this post talking about a cover sticking system?  I remember the Devs speaking about such a thing in one of the earliest Devsteams about how they thought such a system would break the flow of the game and were not intending to ever implement such a cover system.

With a stealth revamp needed however, I guess we can just wait and see.

Is this post talking about a cover sticking system?  I remember the Devs speaking about such a thing in one of the earliest Devsteams about how they thought such a system would break the flow of the game and were not intending to ever implement such a cover system.

With a stealth revamp needed however, I guess we can just wait and see.

yea i remember something like that too.

frankly, i just disagree with them. It all depends on how they make it work. Mechanics mean everything in this case, I could have a slightly different image in mind than they do and that's all the difference between a good idea and a bad idea. It comes down to the designer and their view.

This would require a lot of work. And I mean a lot. It would require the obviously mandatory Stealth revamp, but it would also require many tilesets to be touched upon again to allow for stealth gameplay, as well as an entire reworking of enemy AI that way stealth is possible.

Not to say I'm against the idea, but the work required would be monumental. I'd even dare to say it would need more than just a simple massive update.

they said already "no cover system"

This is true, but with so many reworks currently being planned in addition to the ones we already received, I wouldn't hold the Devs to keep their statement of a cover system anymore. If the rework requires it, I have no doubt that DE would do it. But only if it is required, and only for the gameplay mechanic it is needed for.

they said already "no cover system"

They already said:

- No development to PvP outside of Conclaves

- Less grind

- Less dilution

- Tenno are individuals

- Obfuscating data drops protects intelectual property

On breaking the flow of the game, and back to promise\words versus what happens, Arc Traps.