The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

First Computer Build

KeepOnFlowing

parts seem in order. (though if you're like me, you might feel cramped with only 8gigs of System RAM. 16 is pretty dirt cheap still, and you'll never need to worry about being short on RAM, no matter what you're doing. remember that Windows and background apps is going to be probably 1gig at all times, and the 3-4range being reserved for GPU related communication, so you'll have less than you think you'll have).

except you don't have a Closed Circuit Liquid Cooler.

unless you already have a good one, or you're going to build an Open Circuit or have one already?

a super high performance air cooler or Closed / Open Liquid Cooler is EXTREMELY recommended for IvyBridge or Haswell Processors.

I'd go with GeForce from nVidia instead, in the name of PhysX.

what the hell are you smoking?

uG0hr0U.png

Edit:

oh, actually, one actual thing. i don't personally think 6Megs of L3 Cache is a big enough safety net for intensive moments. personally i'd prefer atleast 10, but 8 would also be good. 

Edited by taiiat

Seems like a pretty good build, but I don't think you'll need that many fans.

Also, you should definitely get an aftermarket CPU cooler. While Intel CPUs run exponentially cooler than AMDs, stock coolers are not that great. 

There are some pretty cheap self-contained liquid cooling systems available for the CPU that cost around $50~100, however these can be a bit tricky to install at times versus an air cooler like the Cooler Master V8 series.

That being said, I remember my first computer build. It's a lot of fun to build your own system. 

Seems like a pretty good build, but I don't think you'll need that many fans.

Also, you should definitely get an aftermarket CPU cooler. While Intel CPUs run exponentially cooler than AMDs, stock coolers are not that great. 

There are some pretty cheap self-contained liquid cooling systems available for the CPU that cost around $50~100, however these can be a bit tricky to install at times versus an air cooler like the Cooler Master V8 series.

That being said, I remember my first computer build. It's a lot of fun to build your own system. 

Yeah, I thought about an aftermarket cooler but seeing as I'm not overclocking it doesn't really bother me ATM. Also, I debated for a LONG time with myself whether it was a good idea too build one myself or to just buy a pre-built one  and I realized that I could learn alot from it so I was like , what the heck and now here I am.

Edit: and yeah, I went a little overboard with the fans but I heard that the 780ti runs pretty hot.

Edited by BecomeLikeWater

Yeah, I thought about an aftermarket cooler but seeing as I'm not overclocking it doesn't really bother me ATM. Also, I debated for a LONG time with myself whether it was a good idea too build one myself or to just buy a pre-built one  and I realized that I could learn alot from it so I was like , what the heck and now here I am.

Edit: and yeah, I went a little overboard with the fans but I heard that the 780ti runs pretty hot.

you'll regret it quickly. IvyBridge and Haswell Processors' IHS isn't Soldered to the die, it's some cheap thermal paste. they can get very hot while under load because of this. 

the only way to solve this without voiding warranty is to get a very efficient cooler that will literally create a cool zone on the IHS to pull the heat from the cores better.

(if you don't mind voiding your warranty though, i can suggest a method that can cure this issue, and the CPU will drop in Temperature dramatically once done. just remember the Warranty on the CPU is void then).

the 780Ti will run a bit hot, but the ACX cooler, like all coolers nowadays, vents out of the case. 

having enough fans can't hurt though, i suppose. just remember to build your case for positive pressure, as that gives nearly identical cooling as negative pressure, but results in a lot less dust collecting in your case.

(and if you get a Closed Circuit Cooler, i'd recommend having the Fan(s) attached to pull through the radiatior, as then you can clean the radiator with a single swipe from a damp paper towel or something, super convenient).

windows 8?  eewwwwwww....excuse me while i barf

You know, I thought about this choice alot but I gotta say, Windows 8 is improving and I love to stay on top of the new things as far as OS' go. Plus the modern feel of it has got me. IT'S ALL MY OCD, I SWEAR!

You know, I thought about this choice alot but I gotta say, Windows 8 is improving and I love to stay on top of the new things as far as OS' go. Plus the modern feel of it has got me. IT'S ALL MY OCD, I SWEAR!

well, it's your pc...and if you find out you don't like 8 later on, you can always pirate...er, i mean buy 7 and go with it

Pricey for sure, but it looks like a fairly solid build for the most part. I did my first build a little over a year ago, though it was on a much tighter budget of about $800. I did go with AMD because I got a card that was actually really good for the price, and still lets me play warframe at full settings and 1080p with little difficulty (albeit minus the physx). From my own findings, two recommendations, both of which have been mentioned before by others:

Consider getting the 16 gigs of ram. It'll give you a lot more breathing room, and ram is one of the cheapest things to get; I doubt it'll set you back more than $50-100 for another eight.

Get a better CPU fan right off the bat. While the stock fan I used for a while on mine did the job, mostly because I avoided overclocking, it was loud as all hell. The cheap thermal paste it came with ended up drying and cementing the heatsink to the CPU in time, and it became less effective after about a year, and was a royal pain in the &#! to get off without damaging the components when I did swap it out for an aftermarket cooler. You can get a good cooling system for under $50 if you look for them.

Eventually I'll get the money to upgrade my graphics card to an nvidia. It'll be worth it for the pretty lights in warframe.