Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Do You Even Crouch, Bro?

[DE]Momaw

So I spent some time playing another online shooter which recently went into F2P. Well, kind of F2P, but that's a topic for another forum.  And while that game is honestly pretty boring as a whole, it does have a few elements that struck me as being superior to Warframe.  One of those features was the tightness of integration between crouching, dodging, and regular movement.

Basically in Warframe there's no reason to crouch. Like, ever. There's a couple of places where you can crouch under obstacles but you should probably be using sprint-slide instead which is much faster. In Other Game, crouching both increases your firing accuracy and reduces the effects of recoil. Which is actually pretty realistic and adds a subtle flavor of badass when you take a knee in a good firing position and lay waste.

I would like to propose that Warframe consider doing the same thing: crouching increases accuracy and reduces recoil.  As a further mechanic, perhaps crouching could give you some degree of resistance to knockdown? Lower center of mass y'see.

do you even slide mate ?!

my whole armour is perhaps around 50, yes. but i can assure you that the rear of my leg is over 9000. i can slide on any surface. i dont even run anymore.

Edited by kimahn

I would like to propose that Warframe consider doing the same thing: crouching increases accuracy and reduces recoil.  As a further mechanic, perhaps crouching could give you some degree of resistance to knockdown? Lower center of mass y'see.

Chain it to automatic Handspring if knocked down while crouching. Use the mod if you want Handspring at all times, but a timed crouch in front of Ancients is rewarded by shorter downtime.

EDIT: The message is you bow to your Ancient overlords if you don't want pain. 

Edited by Shion963

Most of our guns already have a lot of stability/accuracy, so more from crouch would be sort of pointless (doesn't mean I wouldn't take/want it). If it was hard to shoot in this game, I'd give you so many ups but it's not. So you just get one.

Chain it to automatic Handspring if knocked down while crouching. Use the mod if you want Handspring at all times, but a timed crouch in front of Ancients is rewarded by shorter downtime.

EDIT: The message is you bow to your Ancient overlords if you don't want pain. 

This. I really want Handspring integrated into core movement. Or even having crouch as a sort of dodge (so knockdown resist, but through evasion) from melee attacks (most melee enemies swing high anyway).

THIS HERE is one hell of a good idea! 

So I spent some time playing another online shooter which recently went into F2P. Well, kind of F2P, but that's a topic for another forum.  And while that game is honestly pretty boring as a whole, it does have a few elements that struck me as being superior to Warframe.  One of those features was the tightness of integration between crouching, dodging, and regular movement.

Basically in Warframe there's no reason to crouch. Like, ever. There's a couple of places where you can crouch under obstacles but you should probably be using sprint-slide instead which is much faster. In Other Game, crouching both increases your firing accuracy and reduces the effects of recoil. Which is actually pretty realistic and adds a subtle flavor of badass when you take a knee in a good firing position and lay waste.

another great idea that probably wont ever see the light of day +1 anyways

#1 - I would love to see a recoil reduction/accuracy buff added to crouching.  It would not slow down gameplay for those who are run-n-gun fanatics, but for those of us who prefer methodical play, it would be beneficial without having impact on the run-n-gun crowd.

#2 - I use crouch quite a bit.  I also make use of cover quite often.  It goes with my methodical gameplay.  If there is a convenient wall feature, I will hide behind this to return fire on the 8-12 enemy shooting at me. If not, there are times when you can crouch behind low cover to reduce your chances of being hit.

Crouching has its uses currently.

Predominantly it's useful for hiding behind certain cover - With is very useful when playing a squishy frame or when not wanting to take additional damage at higher levels. There are a lot of times when I've found myself crouched behind a crate or something on my Nova waiting for shields to regenerate.

It can also be used to improve the ability to hit multiple infested with Punch Through weapons. Since a lot of infested are short, having a straight shot helps rather than a downward angled one.

Crouching is unlikely to affect Accuracy or Recoil, because it would invalidate the mods we currently have that affect them. It would also make Heavy Caliber massively OP if more weapons could utilize it and still be highly accurate...

Same reasoning about it not affecting knockdown resistance - It invalidates mods we have for it.

Edited by Tarille

Crouching is unlikely to affect Accuracy or Recoil, because it would invalidate the mods we currently have that affect them. It would also make Heavy Caliber massively OP if more weapons could utilize it and still be highly accurate...

Not sure about other people, but having a recoil reduction and/or accuracy buff wouldn't invalidate mods if the bonus was small.  It doesn't have to be x2 accuracy.  A +10% buff would be noticeable while not overwhelming.  You don't have to go overboard with a benefit for it to be of value.