The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What Is The Word "cert" Mean On Wf

Certification. Sony requires that updates go through their certification process before they are released. If a game has a slow update cycle it's not so much of a problem, but DE puts out new content pretty much every week, and I guess Sony doesn't like that so they only take the updates in chunks.

Seem like I only here of a cert process on this warframe

All games have a cert process, but DE doesn't delay PC patches so the time spent on localizing (DE's developers porting it to PS4) and the time Sony spends certifying (making sure it doesn't break the console) is obvious.

How is it the "rainbow bridge" is not built

Because DE has promised that PC updates will not be delayed for the PS4's sake, meaning the PC will always be a more recent version of the game. And because the two versions won't match up, they can't create a cross-play "rainbow bridge" (which absolutely needs both clients to be the same version).

but you can easily get owned by PC planes playing war thunder on ps4?

Because the developers behind War Thunder are willing to delay their PC development until the PS4 update is released, allowing cross play because the versions sync up. This also holds true for Square Enix and FFXIV, as well as other cross-platform PS4/PC/PS3 games. DE is possibly the only developer who doesn't delay the PC client updates and patches for the PS4's sake.

------------------------------------------

To address the title: Certification is a process that ALL game updates for the PS4 go through. It's a process in which Sony takes update data supplied by the developers for a specific game and tests it on PS4 units. It's a process to figure out whether the update is safe to deploy or not, whether the update follows the rules laid out by Sony.

All updates for the PS4 have a cert time. It's not as noticeable on other games because other games aren't like Warframe and other developers aren't like DE. If DE decided to delay all of the PC updates for the PS4 version to be released, I can guarantee you that you wouldn't even know about or notice the cert process to begin with. But because there's a version mismatch and delay between the PC development and the PS4 development, you notice it and now know about it.

When DE sends a patch to Sony, Sony has to approve it. This also called certifying the patch (cert), if it is approved, the patch is sent out to all the PS4's that have warframe on it.

The rainbow bridge is something long dead. It was something DE was using to describe when warframe would be on the same build for both PS4 and PC so that account migration could happen. However, they being on the same build is not very likely. So DE found a way todo it without the rainbow bridge (account migration doesnt exist because DE is still in talks with Sony to get it approved by all of Sony's departments).

-Googles cert on playstation.

-Only this game comes up about the topic

'The amounts of wut is unbearable

Because Warframe is the only game where the PC version isn't delayed for the sake of the PS4 version. All other developers/games have the PC versions delayed for simultaneous patches.

If Warframe's PC patches were delayed to sync up with the PS4, there wouldn't be a single mention of cert time anywhere at all whatsoever. But because DE won't delay PC patches, both the porting and the certifying are noticeable.

There is no amount of 'wut' because no 'wuts' are to be had. It's very simple: all games have it, but because of how DE deploys PC updates, Warframe is the only game where it matters/is noticeable.

Absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Just because you don't see it on other games doesn't mean it isn't there.

Absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Just because you don't see it on other games doesn't mean it isn't there.

Quoted for truth.

Dust 514 players have complained hardcore about the cert process since closed beta. It keeps things that have been sorely needed from arriving in a timely manner. 

It took them around a year and a half to almost add all the weapons for each race; they still haven't done it completely yet either...

CCP gave up trying to push development for PS3 as a result, and they've started prototyping the game for PC instead. Development has essentially stopped because of the certification process. 

Edited by DavidSPD

-Googles cert on playstation.

-Only this game comes up about the topic

'The amounts of wut is unbearable

I believe Sony can take a new certification every 2 weeks.. and then it takes about a week to deploy..

Most games get around this by only patching once a month or every other month.. and those games usually have retail copies, subscription fees, and/or DLC purchases to fund the dead period between patches..

However, for a F2P game to be successful it has to keep pushing content and events, or be established enough so that its existing gameplay & content can carry the game for months at a time between new content patches on a slower patch schedule.

Edited by DietEbolaCola

Because DE has promised that PC updates will not be delayed for the PS4's sake, meaning the PC will always be a more recent version of the game. And because the two versions won't match up, they can't create a cross-play "rainbow bridge" (which absolutely needs both clients to be the same version).

Wow. So in a way they are saying screw the fanbase of PS4 and get a PC or play the crappy version. Doesn't matter if I am wrong but that just said more than I needed to know. I think I'm done with warframe. This just disappoints me so much. I was so happy about the game on PS4 but now seeing as how they treat it and the fanbase I have lost faith. I just can't believe it had so much potential for the PS4 if they would just take the time and update the at the same time but apparently PC is so much more important that PS4 players should just buy a damn PC if they want to have a full experience and have fun. But no I have lost faith. Thank you DE for the time but you guys need to pull it together or choose one but not both. It seems to be too much of a hassle for you guys and way too much work apparently. 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/151215-warframe-ps4-next-update/page-3

Kz shadowfall had numurous updates with very little "cert time". Since the time that thread was posted until now this game is still the only game that has the weirdest cert time, and just because one game has a stupid method, doesn't mean all games follow suit.

Wow. So in a way they are saying screw the fanbase of PS4 and get a PC or play the crappy version. Doesn't matter if I am wrong but that just said more than I needed to know. I think I'm done with warframe. This just disappoints me so much. I was so happy about the game on PS4 but now seeing as how they treat it and the fanbase I have lost faith. I just can't believe it had so much potential for the PS4 if they would just take the time and update the at the same time but apparently PC is so much more important that PS4 players should just buy a damn PC if they want to have a full experience and have fun. But no I have lost faith. Thank you DE for the time but you guys need to pull it together or choose one but not both. It seems to be too much of a hassle for you guys and way too much work apparently. 

Over reacting much hehe, Dont blame DE blame $ony, Warframe was PC first, hence we get the updates first and its fair, Also us getting the updates first means we are your beta testers =) All the junk that messes up each update we tell DE.. it gets patched and then you get the better patched version with no hassle later down the line. =)

Edited by MLPDiamondHeart

You're overreacting. The simple fact of the matter is that all of their primary development is on and for the PC, and unlike the consoles they can push out PC updates, hotfixes and the like as much as they want as fast as they want. It can't be done for the PS4 because the PS4 is not the primary platform in terms of development. There's a time delay for the PS4 dev team to take the content produced by the PC devs and localize/port it. Telling the PC players "too bad you have to wait while we port it to the PS4" is much more of a "screw the players" move. Especially when the PC player base acts as the first wave of testers for content (we're finding all the bugs and stuff so you don't have to).

If DE forced PC players to wait to get updates in sync with the PS4, the PS4 would be getting a WAY buggier build of the game, and the PC players would be forced to wait when the update was technically ready to ship but stuck on a shelf for a month or more. It's a lose-lose.

Seems like you are pro pc for your own benifit. It would be the same outcome if pc players had to wait aswell. What letter is saying is pc players should always be a step ahead because it's fair.

Don't twist my words.

It wouldn't be the same outcome. For starters, DE would be reneging on a promise they made. Secondly, the patches released would be WAY buggier for both platforms because there hadn't been thousands upon thousands of PC players testing the content for a month or two while the update was sitting on the shelf. Thirdly, the bugs would take MUCH longer to fix, because DE would have to delay a 1MB hotfix for PC by at least a week while the fix is ported over to the PS4... And this fix/bug might have been entirely avoidable on the PS4 had PC players found it during the time period that the PC-to-PS4 development was taking place. 

I'm not belittling DE's QA team, but I don't think that their QA staff is anywhere on the level with thousands of players.

P.S. delaying the PC version of the game won't make the PS4 version release any faster. It would just make it way buggier.

What I'm saying is if the sides where flipped, it would be the same complaints.

And the complaints would still be wrong.

Edit: If the sides were flipped and we had the same complaints, the same answers would still apply.

Edited by Archeyef

Edit: If the sides were flipped and we had the same complaints, the same answers would still apply.

but what if the playing field were even. Tis the million dollar question Edited by (PS4)clips_ahoii

Over reacting much hehe, Dont blame DE blame $ony, Warframe was PC first, hence we get the updates first and its fair, Also us getting the updates first means we are your beta testers =) All the junk that messes up each update we tell DE.. it gets patched and then you get the better patched version with no hassle later down the line. =)

No, we get plenty of our own bugs, and ours usually aren't fixed until the next update around a month later. We had serious connection problems with 12.4.4 I believe, and they put out two patches for us. I didn't notice anything better, but apparently the next update fixed them. Apparently, there's also different spawns between the versions for some reason. Our Kappa doesn't spawn Oxium drones even though it's under Corpus control, for example.

Indeed they would.

I'm not even twisting your words you stat the sumark of what I said after you said p.s.

And you were twisting my words. "What letter is saying is pc players should always be a step ahead because it's fair". Nowhere did I say "fair". I said that with the way DE is developing the game, delaying the PC version would be shooting themselves in the foot. It would hurt development and result in buggier releases on both platforms, and because the development occurs on PC and since PC has no restrictions for update deployment, for a Beta like Warframe it makes very little sense to delay patches and updates.

If the opposite were the case and all of the development occurred around the PS4 and the game was ported to the PC after the fact, I'd say that PS4 updates shouldn't be delayed for the sake of the PC playerbase. 

Here's the jist of what I'm saying: delaying updates on any platform regardless of reason is a silly thing to do for a game like Warframe (for a cross platform MMO like FF14 it makes a lot of sense, but for Warframe it doesn't). Warframe is still in its primary phases of development. Radical changes are being implemented. Delaying updates by several weeks or more for a single platform is preventing potential bugs from being found, potential hotfixes from being implemented and potential exploits and loopholes from being patched.

but what if the playing field were even. Tis the million dollar question

They'll never be even. The only way to "even" them would be to delay updates, which would cause much more harm than good for both platforms. It would hurt both PC and PS4 players alike.

some PS4 players are funny not delaying the PC version is unfair for PS4 but its cool to delay the PC version so PS4 can catch up... its the same thing if they delay PC players they are screwing us over and there wouldn't be a PS4 version if it wasn't for PC, DE has their own servers for PC so theres no point to delay it they can patch and hotfix all they want and fix all the bugs before they send it to sony 

@(PS4)Budukai_Man
Pretty much the Xbone would have the same process.
After the PC patch is made and pushed out the Xbone team would translate it over and send it to microsoft for certification.
Microsoft would approve/deny it and then DE would either fix it or it would be pushed out to Xbones.

Depending on cert differences between the two companies they would have pretty much the same delay as ps4 currently has, afterall it would most likely have its own team in DE to get the updates to Xbone so it shouldn't interfere with ps4 patches at all.

@Met4lh34d
Honestly the biggest sentiment I get from most (definitely not all but at least the most vocal ones) of the PS4 community is that they dont care what's fair for anyone else or what inconveniences anyone else, they just want what is "fair" to them and what is the most convenient for them.