Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

[Fan'frame] Svarog - The Cqc Grineer Experiment Warframe

SilverBones

5a9.gif

I think it succeeds as a Grineer counterpart of Valkyr, both in story and mechanically. The powers are pretty much well balanced and the addition of a passive makes for some interesting potential moments in game.

Oh, and I love the appearance.

Thank you! Appreciate the upboat gif!

The animating itself shouldn't be too hard, it is just run-of-the-mill jigglebones, I think the hard part may be in making a cosmetic item that can respond to player actions. If what I heard about the Edo armor is correct, armor can animate under certain conditions, so theoretically one could set an action of "decouple x from y" with the trigger condition of "use power 4 at Overheat level z".

Actually, the real issue with using physics-based objects is managing the collision box around each model. That's why a lot of syandanas screw up, because of the irregular collision box on the object (which I assume looks like a series of boxes snapped together like a low-polygon caterpillar) is interacting with the player model's fairly simple collision box. I'm not sure if the Evolution Engine 2 supports smooth collision spheres like Unreal 4, but I don't think it does.

Point is. It's a lot easier if the tubes never have to smack into the player, because it either clips into the irregular geometry (too few points of collision) or freaks out like a snake on speed (too many points). If you notice on Lech Kril, his tubes that interact with his movement hang down from the body while the others are hand animated. This is also the reason why syandana's have largely gotten shorter, or in the case of the Infested Syandana, move left and right and never touch the body. :D Developer ingenuity is a beautiful thing.

;D So if you do put physics based things place them accordingly. Of course if it's just simple animations that loop such as vents opening and closing, vents hissing (well that's not even 3D animation really, it's just a material with flip cards running on a plane). They can be placed anywhere. Best of luck with this frame! I hope to see it as the next male frame pick...which should, in theory, come after this Booby Trap Frame.

Edited by ZeroJackdaw

Very nice. The "teeth" on the front of the mask are a cool touch, I didn't notice those before.

A visual question/comment/whatever on the vents, especially the ones on his legs: would it be possible to make them a little more defined, maybe with a bit of grineer metal or something? They kind of blend in with the rocky texture when they're not glowing.

Very nice. The "teeth" on the front of the mask are a cool touch, I didn't notice those before.

A visual question/comment/whatever on the vents, especially the ones on his legs: would it be possible to make them a little more defined, maybe with a bit of grineer metal or something? They kind of blend in with the rocky texture when they're not glowing.

I wanted to have them seem like they were melting into one another and the Warframe had 'adapted' to them. I made mention to it in the lore part, how the writer was surprised to see how the 'Frame had adapted to the grafts.

I wanted to have them seem like they were melting into one another and the Warframe had 'adapted' to them. I made mention to it in the lore part, how the writer was surprised to see how the 'Frame had adapted to the grafts.

Ah. Well either way, good work. Have you finalized the color scheme yet?

I'm still playing with it... much work to doooo.

It seems like it might look cool with a ceres-ish color scheme, with the black rock and green grineer bits, but that could be a bit dull. I'm interested to see how it turns out!

It seems like it might look cool with a ceres-ish color scheme, with the black rock and green grineer bits, but that could be a bit dull. I'm interested to see how it turns out!

What about a mix between gun metal gray and the orange/red armor of the Grineer Scorches?

I am not sure about using reds. I am thinking for the base color, it should be a 'cool' palette, just so there is a lot of contrast with the glowing, heating effect. Keeping a kind of melted metal mixed with Grineer flat coloring should be cool enough, but I am still playing with it.

i wish this was real

I can think of no higher compliment. Thank you!

I am not sure about using reds. I am thinking for the base color, it should be a 'cool' palette, just so there is a lot of contrast with the glowing, heating effect. Keeping a kind of melted metal mixed with Grineer flat coloring should be cool enough, but I am still playing with it.

I can think of no higher compliment. Thank you!

So colours like tarnished steel, subdued browns and dim orange?

Rust, stone, dark wood... lots of potential for both the vanilla appearance and alternate colour schemes.

I would really like to see this brought to the game. I feel like this frame could have a seriously B.A. look to it - I love the concept of the Tenno adapting to what they put in him. The fact it ended with not really knowing if the guy was left alive out of sympathy or sadism (at least that's how I took it) can lead to some interesting character development in the lore, I think. Moral dilemmas of some sort (not just because of this; but use this as a foreshadowing thing)?

On a not-so-serious note: Is that a predator head? And he should totally have custom idle animations near frost - burst of steam in his direction, frost flinches.

Epic design! though for some reason I personally was still expecting to see some relatively functional venting hatches or something. Kinda forgot he was supposed to look melted, but I like this design anyway because it makes him look more like a regular Warframe.

I like the concept. Though two things I want to go over. First, how does that 3rd ability beam exactly work mechanically. What I have understood from DE's way of doing powers is that they all have singular element or some combo of physical damage to them. So would the beam be consistent and basically have two stances in short succession or? Would it be visually visible to see each stance if you look carefully enough?

And another thing I would like to point out is that even though the ultimate in concept sounds great, powers are usually affected by mods that do not directly alter the ability itself. A.K.A Streamline mod, power efficiency. So while damage, range, duration tend to affect powers, power efficiency doesn't and I think DE has intended it on purpose.

However. What is your design philosophy on this ultimate power decision. What would justify it? Would there be another way that would be consistent with how DE seems to like to do these things or is it specifically designed in such a way because of that very fact that there is no powers as of yet, that can not be affected by Streamline mod.

Edited by BETAOPTICS

• 1 month later...

I noticed that the other day.

There are a few frames out there in the Fanzone that share a name, and since this one fell into obscurity, I decided to leave it be.

Your fire mage version looks rad.. this guy is more of a... fire berzerker I guess?

Mine's not quite a fire mage, but he's a nanomachine wielder. He uses swarms of microscopic robots to do his bidding, rearranging things on a molecular level. This often creates friction-based heat, which while it may not ignite foes, it will make their bodies boil alive.

I can rename mine if need be, since it doesn't seem the whole idea of 'celestial fire' suits him nearly as much as Hive, Forge, Carbon (an allusion to Altered Carbon), or other means.

I like the whole concept of 'resurrected/grafted technology' in your concept. It would be neat to have an alternate fire caster, or perhaps even have him as an enemy?

Edited by Vaskadar