Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Ships Are A Step Backwards In Player Experience

jawnt

It would have taken design council months to find the bugs the general playerbase has found in a day. Not to mention there are bugs associated with having many players all try and do the same thing at once, which a smaller group would not have noticed.

how long would it have taken them do you think to give their opinion on the new UI?   not that long at a guess, bugs etc yeah but in this updates case theres a lot wrong thats noticeable instantly.

how long would it have taken them do you think to give their opinion on the new UI?   not that long at a guess, bugs etc yeah but in this updates case theres a lot wrong thats noticeable instantly.

Again, those are all overlay features. Take a step back, and remember how you felt when they said you were gonna get a spaceship you could walk around in. I'm referring to the idea as a whole, not easily fixable problems with menu navigation.

Again, those are all overlay features. Take a step back, and remember how you felt when they said you were gonna get a spaceship you could walk around in. I'm referring to the idea as a whole, not easily fixable problems with menu navigation.

actually when i heard of the ships back then i expected the exact same thing as eve online which funnily enough is exactly what happened, a walk around menu system, so i knew expect exactly nothing.

this is merely history repeating itsself to some of us.

eve promised "Walking in stations" being able to interact with other players, walk around stations with your avatar, instead of staring at a chat window with some menus around you, instead it all got dumped in favor of being trapped in a small room (the captains quarters) where you walk in your cramped little room interactign with consoles/panels in place of the 2d menus but ultimatly stuck there on your own.

fast forward many years later and warframe aquires the exact same thing in every detail.

look familiar?

An efficient UI which got complained about constantly for being too utilitarian and immersion-breaking. If pressing esc took you right back to the old UI, would people be complaining? The ease of accessibility complaints have somehow broadened to include complaining about player ships as a whole.

By who? I'm back roughly to the 1st of may in the Ui forum(Going every other page, around page 17), and I haven't found one thread complaining about the old UI being immersion breaking. It didn't break immersion, it didn't really add all that much to immersion, but it by no means broke it. 

That would still be one more button to push and would actually break the immersion created by having a ship. 

eve promised "Walking in stations" being able to interact with other players, walk around stations with your avatar, instead of staring at a chat window with some menus around you, instead it all got dumped in favor of being trapped in a small room (the captains quarters) where you walk in your cramped little room interactign with consoles/panels in place of the 2d menus but ultimatly stuck there on your own.

So...did you play any of the Mass Effect games?

By who? I'm back roughly to the 1st of may in the Ui forum(Going every other page, around page 17), and I haven't found one thread complaining about the old UI being immersion breaking. It didn't break immersion, it didn't really add all that much to immersion, but it by no means broke it. 

That would still be one more button to push and would actually break the immersion created by having a ship. 

What about this: instead of the esc button taking you to that funky scrolling menu, it takes you back to the old UI?

What about this: instead of the esc button taking you to that funky scrolling menu, it takes you back to the old UI?

Not quite enough, without adding a place for it in the ship it would actually then break the immersion. 

I'd say maybe pull it up on the front window, esc key is a jump to it just like it does now with all the different stations.

Not quite enough, without adding a place for it in the ship it would actually then break the immersion. 

I'd say maybe pull it up on the front window, esc key is a jump to it just like it does now with all the different stations.

Break the immersion? My tenno literally teleports to different locations of the ship when I change between UI elements.

I don't really see why they didn't just use the old starchart for the nav console.

I really like my ship, but I will admit the menus are extremely clunky. As I mentioned earlier, I would be incredibly surprised if we didn't see some big changes within the next month or so. I'd like to see the esc menu reorganized and simplified, the console menus locked to the camera, and the starchart properly labeled and de-mystified. 

However, as this thread is about player experience and not the UI menus specifically I had to disagree with the OP.

However, as this thread is about player experience and not the UI menus specifically I had to disagree with the OP.

Menus are a large portion of the player experience I would say, technically. It's more one step back for streamlined player interface, one step forward immersion and world build.

Although I suppose one could call it a victory since they have shown in the past they are capable of a nice menu system, now they've shown they're capable of a nice home base. 

Menus are a large portion of the player experience I would say, technically. It's more one step back for streamlined player interface, one step forward immersion and world build.

Although I suppose one could call it a victory since they have shown in the past they are capable of a nice menu system, now they've shown they're capable of a nice home base. 

They just need to put the two together. Really, with the amount of feedback they've been getting for this update I seriously doubt it'll stay the way it is.

My response to OP is this.

I haven't actually sat down to play this game in months and months. As a veteran player I sat down and played the prologue and loved it and though it was A LOT BETTER than just being dumped into the game on a stupid star chart with no direction on what to do or where to go.

So far to me the ship is awesome. I actually enjoy walking from point A to point B on the ship to do stuff. Makes me feel like I'm playing a new game entirely. The star chart is nifty and its a lot easier navigating around than playing connect the dots with the planets with the old UI. I have played all day today and I've been loving it. All and all its a nice distraction between missions than staring blankly at a screen of orbiting balls wondering what I'm going to do next. Basically what I'm saying is that you're wrong go die.

Look forward to them adding more ships in future updates. Was mentioned on the stream today. Ships are here to stay.

Edited by grillv20

So...did you play any of the Mass Effect games?

cant recall any of the mass effect games giving me the game then patching in something that downgraded my gaming experience, co-incidentally i like perhaps you/others came to warframe (in U10 in my case) after playing ME3/MP from its release hoping for a bigger/better version of something similar, tho after around U11ish ive been going back to ME3 now and then.

cant recall any of the mass effect games giving me the game then patching in something that downgraded my gaming experience, co-incidentally i like perhaps you/others came to warframe (in U10 in my case) after playing ME3/MP from its release hoping for a bigger/better version of something similar, tho after around U11ish ive been going back to ME3 now and then.

I'm just using those games as evidence that that sort of interface can work if executed properly. I'm honestly not sure what to say to people who want it removed entirely, that's not really a realistic request at this point. 

I'm just using those games as evidence that that sort of interface can work if executed properly. I'm honestly not sure what to say to people who want it removed entirely, that's not really a realistic request at this point. 

I think people want it more re-purposed than removed. Less about the menus and more about the engaging out of missions components like Kubrow care and development.

Maybe we can put a scanner-image gallery in there to flesh it out.

Worse isn't a reflection on "looks cool" its a qualification about its UTILITY... and U14's utility is definitely WORSE... Here's why...

1. More clicks to achieve a task

2. Less information provided on more screen real estate.

3. Motion sickness from shaky UI components.

4. Color blind people are at a severe disadvantage.

5. Many previously simple tasks are now buried within menus.

6. The ability to quickly shift between actions in literally a single click has been removed... no more messing with your weapons while you wait on the next mission.

7. Mods and cards show less information.. similar to the above comment but they also show many fewer cards at once and require significantly more effort to "review"

8. the "at a glance" navigation of U13.x no longer exists.

9. Alerts/Operations lists with a convenient countdown timer is no longer prominently displayed on your screen.. you are now required to read white on white text on a small screen... so long as your frame is pointed in the right direction... again this is not an improvement it requires more actions/activity to achieve the simple task of identifying the "next" mission.

10. The new player ship does not add any story context, it doesn't improve immersion... it only serves to force controller style navigation and creates obstructions to fast and convenient navigation of in game options and mission entry

11. The Planetary system... all the planets are pretty much identical, they are no longer easy or fast to select by relative distance from the sun.  These planets also show less information... 

12. The Planetary system... Previously the number of incomplete locations was readily visible.. this is no longer the case. 

13. The Planetary system... Previously the path to unlock the next location was readily visible.. this is no longer the case.

14. ESC to view menu items? Why? Previously the menu icons were visible on the screen at all times... this is no longer the case... and it SHOULD be the case... the ESC button is a completely unnecessary level of indirection to events/actions that were previously in direct view.

+10.