The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De's (Small) Step Toward Pw-Like Business Strategy

fractal_magnets

If it's variation DE's worried about?

Why not just let us buy color palettes for Kubrows like we do on Warframes.

Not enough? How about let us also buy patterns on different parts?

Say forefoot right legs patterns, hindfoot left leg patterns, face patterns, ears patterns, back patters, tail patterns? (or more if you really want variety).

(Kinda like how you let us buy armors, EDO, Ilac, Daedalus, Eos - separately).

Make them cost ridiculously high, i don't think I will care, its better than paying 10p and get a S#&$ty result and probably spend 1239129038120983play before you get a nice look (but even then, its probably still not what you wanted).

They should just let us pay plat to get a fur color pattern that most closely matches the current color set we're using for our frame. That too complex and difficult? Up the price to 100 plat, and let us actually pick the fur pattern + color of our choice. Tired of this RNG BS.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

Made an entire thread about this over in feedback. Here's the OP from that, which is my opinion on the whole thing:

I'm fairly certain that DE stands to make more money off this 10p randomized color picker than they do charging 50-200p for a custom designed kubrow. 10p isn't all that much, nor does it seem like that much at first glance (especially if you frequent trade chat). 10p on a randomized color selection is something that encourages impulse buys. Anyone with a gambler mentality (guilty as charged) will purchase the thing repeatedly in hopes that the next time is the jackpot. I blew through a fair bit of plat earlier on my first kubrow (she was a member of the 501st), and I'm probably going to do the same with my newest kubrow if I like her body type.

TL;DR- 10p encourages impulse buys and will probably generate more income than a 200p custom kubrow build. I can't help but think that many players would look at the 200p price tag for a custom kubrow, and turn around and accuse DE of money grabbing. 

I'm fairly certain that DE stands to make more money off this 10p randomized color picker than they do charging 50-200p for a custom designed kubrow. 10p isn't all that much, nor does it seem like that much at first glance (especially if you frequent trade chat). 10p on a randomized color selection is something that encourages impulse buys. Anyone with a gambler mentality (guilty as charged) will purchase the thing repeatedly in hopes that the next time is the jackpot. I blew through a fair bit of plat earlier on my first kubrow (she was a member of the 501st), and I'm probably going to do the same with my newest kubrow if I like her body type.

TL;DR- 10p encourages impulse buys and will probably generate more income than a 200p custom kubrow build. I can't help but think that many players would look at the 200p price tag for a custom kubrow, and turn around and accuse DE of money grabbing. 

Yes, while it does encourage impulse buying, DE(L) has to also look at the long-term buying as well. 

After all, gambling with real money as a mechanism in games never goes down well with players.

Does this make it ok? No, it does not. Creating a system that encourages impulse buying is precisely a money-grabbing practice.

Yes, while it does encourage impulse buying, DE(L) has to also look at the long-term buying as well. 

After all, gambling with real money as a mechanism in games never goes down well with players.

IMO, impulse buying is more likely to keep generating income than custom kubrow designs for a higher price. Once you get what you want, you aren't going to go back for a redesign. Not when the price is so high.

Does this make it ok? No, it does not. Creating a system that encourages impulse buying is precisely a money-grabbing practice.

Impulse buys are usually what keep F2P games afloat. Also, since the thing in question is PURELY COSMETIC, it is perfectly fine for DE to lock it behind a paygate.

IMO, impulse buying is more likely to keep generating income than custom kubrow designs for a higher price. Once you get what you want, you aren't going to go back for a redesign. Not when the price is so high.

The Chinese have a proverb: 細水長流

What it means is: It is better to have a steady stream than a large burst. 

So, why not remove this impulse buying (since then players are going to see the flaws and stop), and instead give a more palatable and satisfiable buying option so players will continue to buy? 

In fact, I do have a suggestion for the Kubrow Scramber to make it work, if you like to see it.

wasted 200 plat to try and get a nice scheme color but nope wasted a little to get a decent one gonna wait for DE to give us other option like the OP said

DE won't give another option. I expect more aspects of the game to be like this in the future, where you pay plat for a random chance at a certain result.

Well I'm sure you also think it's perfectly fine to lock this behind an RNG gate as well.

The cosmetic portion? Yes. Why wouldn't it be? What color your Kubrow is doesn't really matter at all.

The Chinese have a proverb: 細水長流

What it means is: It is better to have a steady stream than a large burst. 

So, why not remove this impulse buying (since then players are going to see the flaws and stop), and instead give a more palatable and satisfiable buying option so players will continue to buy? 

In fact, I do have a suggestion for the Kubrow Scramber to make it work, if you like to see it.

The problem is that of the two, I think color gambling is more likely to create the steady stream than the large burst that the custom option would likely create.

Yes, I would definitely like to see your suggestion.

DE won't give another option. I expect more aspects of the game to be like this in the future, where you pay plat for a random chance at a certain result.

I'm fairly certain that this system is not going to carry over onto anything that isn't a kubrow (or another kubrow like companion that may come later, fingers crossed for space cats). 

The problem is that of the two, I think color gambling is more likely to create the steady stream than the large burst that the custom option would likely create.

Yes, I would definitely like to see your suggestion.

Players are going to see the flaw in it (which most of them have) and will stop buying it and spread the word about this, effectively cutting off revenue for DE(L) from the purchase of the current Kubrow Scrambler. That will make the Kubrow Scrambler be a large burst. 

And the suggestion is here: 

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/236973-some-suggestions-to-improve-gameplay-edit-30-kubrow-scrambler-improvements-with-additional-suggestion/ (see EDIT 30)

Well, I'm no gambler, don't like it, so I guess that's why I'm so against RNG. When it comes to common item drops and such, I'm fine with it. When it comes to rare items, or things where I want a particular, specific choice, then I'd rather pay a price to get it than to pay a price to get a random chance at getting my choice.

Understand that PW's method of acquiring gear (in large part through lockboxes) is a large part of why PW has a bad reputation and why the community blew up when news came, second hand mind you, about a deal between PW and DE. It's something a vocal part of the community doesn't want to see. Things like this ultimately hurt DE's reputation with their community, as it has for PW.

The main problem I have with this is, is that it deviates from DE's general business plan in regards to cosmetics. Up until now, cosmetics, no matter what item or color or whatever, were purchased with platinum and then applied in any fashion you want within the limits of the system itself. If they're going to change to a business model that promotes not only a gate to access cosmetic variation each time you want to make a change AND an element of RNG playing a role in that selection - it has to be all or nothing.

Kubrows should either work EXACTLY the same way sentinels, Warframes, and weapons do where cosmetics are purchased and altered at will without additional purchases - or sentinels, Warframes, and weapons need to work the exact same way Kubrows now do where all changes are dictated by platinum. It should be one or the other, not both.  

Kubrows should either work EXACTLY the same way sentinels, Warframes, and weapons do where cosmetics are purchased and altered at will without additional purchases - or sentinels, Warframes, and weapons need to work the exact same way Kubrows now do where all changes are dictated by platinum. It should be one or the other, not both.  

Well, I think it is alright for Kubrows this time, since we are messing around with cosmetic genetic traits (besides, the idea is unique for Warframe in itself [the random cosmetic genetic traits, not the Platinum + RNG roulette]), although I do agree that Platinum + RNG do not go well together.

Yeah I saw them but it doesn't make sense in context because PWE would love this S#&$.

And then see the community reaction and maybe reconsider?

After all, Warframe has a market for every country in the world, not just Chinese and Koreans (intelligent overall, but stupid in game designs [no offence, but that is what I see the trend to be]).

Edited by Renegade343

I used a Scrambler once to change Misha's colours. All I got was some blonde fur on her head. Used another Scrambler to change her looks once more, and the damn thing RESETS her appearance. 20 platinum wasted for nothing.

"Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

So it begins...

Edited by RazorTip

And then see the community reaction and maybe reconsider?

After all, Warframe has a market for every country in the world, not just Chinese and Koreans (intelligent overall, but stupid in game designs [no offence, but that is what I see the trend to be]).

I see what you mean but I was thinking you'd know PWE wouldn't give a fration of a F*** about the playerbase's reaction.