The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

De's (Small) Step Toward Pw-Like Business Strategy

fractal_magnets

The gumball analogy is flawed. If you want to pay for another gumball you still have the first gumball. And you aren't going to use that gumball as a fashion accessory, which is what the rerol is about. If you don't like the way something looks, it's likely because you have an idea of how you want it to look. And if DE is going to charge us plat to change the way something looks, then we want to actually have a say in changing how it looks, not leave it up to RNG.

If you don't like the first gumball then you are unlikely to keep it when grabbing a trying for a second gumball. The system is purely cosmetic and therefore fine. You have a say, you can simply not play the lottery and roll with whatever you get the first time.  It will not change how the Kubro plays.

Again, we can get randomly generated Lotus patterns as a product of "breeding"? Ok. Continue to try to make this scrambler sound logical.

Yes, Lotus patterns. Weirder patterns show up in real life creatures. The scrambler does not seem to even be trying to be grounded in the game's universe. It is exactly what it seem to be, a plat purchaseable cosmetic option that doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you try to explain it using in-game logic. Just like us being able to swap skins, colors, and even models of some items in-game.

10p may be 'nothing' but none the less its still money wasted since One

1) Its totally random, you dont even get to choose the colour

2) or the pattern.

3) And if you dislike the pattern you pay again

So all in all it adds up to be a total  nuisance. 

I'd rather pay 30p for a list of pre selected colours for my kubrow and a desired pattern, than take a random chance at something that may come up total crap. 

I will pay when i know what im going to get.

Period. 

10p for the scrambler is ridiculous, but what's even worse is when someone has a white Kubrow and gets... white. That's terrible man lol, you should at least get a cool color pattern.

I do think the the scrambler should have something put in place to prevent users from getting the same thing twice (or more) in a row.

10p may be 'nothing' but none the less its still money wasted since One

1) Its totally random, you dont even get to choose the colour

2) or the pattern.

3) And if you dislike the pattern you pay again

So all in all it adds up to be a total  nuisance. 

I'd rather pay 30p for a list of pre selected colours for my kubrow and a desired pattern, than take a random chance at something that may come up total crap. 

I will pay when i know what im going to get.

Period. 

Sounds like you should be looking for imprints in trade chat.

Guys, painting your dog is bad and, you should feel bad for thinking about it.

Now, go and kill some wild dogs because you really want those dog mods!

What.

How about not feeling bad because your virtual space dog is not of some rainbow color you want, and at the same time, not feeling bad about killing virtual space dogs? 

There, dilemma solved. 

If you don't like the first gumball then you are unlikely to keep it when grabbing a trying for a second gumball. The system is purely cosmetic and therefore fine. You have a say, you can simply not play the lottery and roll with whatever you get the first time.  It will not change how the Kubro plays.

You've missed the point. The objection is to the mechanic. As long as it's for a cosmetic, you're right. It's not a big deal. But if they start doing it for other things, what then?

We are telling them that we don't like the precedent set by this system. Do I think that they will absolutely expand this type of system to other areas of the game, areas where it actually would be a problem? No, I do not. I have a higher opinion of DE than that. But I didn't think they'd add this kind of system in at all, given their previous way of handling cosmetics. So I'm damn sure going to let them know that I don't like it, and it seems I'm not the only one.

The point is not the cosmetics. The point is the system of getting them. DE's system so far has been just fine. We get to see what it is we are buying. We are asking them to switch to that system, because it is one that has thus far worked, and one that we don't object to.

You've missed the point. The objection is to the mechanic. As long as it's for a cosmetic, you're right. It's not a big deal. But if they start doing it for other things, what then?

If they start doing it for things other than cosmetics then I would agree that it was a bad thing.  That is not the case here, and I am not going to buy into the slippery slope argument. Personally, I don't think they should have given the ability to change their looks at all, but since they did, the scambler is the best option.

I don't know whether PW has any involvement in this decision, but...

The playerbase can only stop this in one way, don't pay for an RNG dice roll.

I never will, unfortunately reading the threads I see that some have.

Unfortunately this is not a recent practise, look at Mod and Key packs.

RNG dice rolls that you can pay for have been in the game since the beginning. Unless they removed the random mod packs you could buy off their shop. 

I think everybody is over-reacting personally. You don't -have- to have a kubrow. Its optional. You can build a perfectly good sentinel and mod it the way you want to and even throw platinum at if you want all the fancy little add-ons. You get to color your sentinel and everything. Sure, Kubrows can be a little bit better but you shouldn't feel like you're getting screwed out of something if you have to wait a little bit. 

Now, if you want to complain about the mod drop rates for kubrows then thats totally understandable. However, you shouldn't feel totally mad at the fact that you have to do the whole breeding thing and wait around. Everybody has played this game long enough to expect that sort of thing from this game. They -do- have a thing in the game where you can copy dominant genes from one kubrow to the next one you're breeding. Its not all RNG based. People need to learn how to be patient. 

Edited by grillv20

If they start doing it for things other than cosmetics then I would agree that it was a bad thing.  That is not the case here, and I am not going to buy into the slippery slope argument. Personally, I don't think they should have given the ability to change their looks at all, but since they did, the scambler is the best option.

Untrue. Myabe, you know, keeping their promises might be the best option.

RNG dice rolls that you can pay for have been in the game since the beginning. Unless they removed the random mod packs you could buy off their shop. 

I think everybody is over-reacting personally. You don't -have- to have a kubrow. Its optional. You can build a perfectly good sentinel and mod it the way you want to and even throw platinum at if you want all the fancy little add-ons. You get to color your sentinel and everything. Sure, Kubrows can be a little bit better but you shouldn't feel like you're getting screwed out of something if you have to wait a little bit. 

Now, if you want to complain about the mod drop rates for kubrows then thats totally understandable. However, you shouldn't feel totally mad at the fact that you have to do the whole breeding thing and wait around. Everybody has played this game long enough to expect that sort of thing from this game. They -do- have a thing in the game where you can copy dominant genes from one kubrow to the next one you're breeding. Its not all RNG based. People need to learn how to be patient. 

True, but the mechanism of Platinum + RNG for a cosmetic option is quite distasteful. 

The Mod and Key packs I can understand since they would affect gameplay somewhat, but I think it may have crossed the line with Platinum + RNG for cosmetics.

I gotta say, between the Kubrow situation and the PWE situation, I've lost a lot of faith in DE(L).  Which is kinda sad.

It's also sad that how badly they fumbled Kubrows is kind of overshadowing the really good things they did with U14.  But, when you start changing how you do things (real money used for uncertain, gambling mechanics) you begin to break trust with your players, and I get the feeling it's going to be hard to get that trust back.

Well, as I said before, I have two kubrows and I won't be getting any more, given how their current in-game functions.

You don't have to buy into the slippery slope argument to tell them that you don't like the system. If you can see that it might be applied to non-cosmetics, even if you think it won't be, that's reason enough to let them know now that you don't approve of it, when it still is only on cosmetics.

You don't have to buy into the slippery slope argument to tell them that you don't like the system. If you can see that it might be applied to non-cosmetics, even if you think it won't be, that's reason enough to let them know now that you don't approve of it, when it still is only on cosmetics.

Okay, I think this system is the best option for cosmetics, especially in regards to tamagotchi.  This is a terrible system for needed gameplay mechanics like unlocking planets and such.  So please limit it to cosmetics.

Happy now, Arch?

Okay, I think this system is the best option for cosmetics, especially in regards to tamagotchi.  This is a terrible system for needed gameplay mechanics like unlocking planets and such.  So please limit it to cosmetics.

Happy now, Arch?

So, just to get this straight, when they introduce RNG color changes to the actual Warframes, based on Platinum, you are okay with this, right?

I mean... it's just cosmetic...

Happy now, Arch?

No, because I still want to be able to pick exactly what my pet looks like from the options given to me, not leave it up to RNG. If they had not allowed customization I would not feel the need to argue for it, but since they did, I'm going to let them know that I think there is an option that would make many players happier (though, clearly not all). And that system is, make the scrambler credits based, and allow us to pay a higher plat price than the current one to buy the cosmetics we want, the way they always have with cosmetics.

I guess we just disagree, although I think that solution would still accomodate you.

No, because I still want to be able to pick exactly what my pet looks like from the options given to me, not leave it up to RNG. If they had not allowed customization I would not feel the need to argue for it, but since they did, I'm going to let them know that I think there is an option that would make many players happier (though, clearly not all). And that system is, make the scrambler credits based, and allow us to pay a higher plat price than the current one to buy the cosmetics we want, the way they always have with cosmetics.

I guess we just disagree, although I think that solution would still accomodate you.

No, that solution would not.  If it is random for one person then it should be random for all. Personally, I would prefer if they type and color came based on how they were raised or breeding (think FF7 chocobos) and were unchangeable.  Since you can change it, though, random is best. 

Happy now, Arch?

I'm not putting words into your mouth.  They are your actual words.  See underline above.

You sound like you don't like/aren't interested in Kubrows, so of course it's not an issue for you.  But if I say 'warframes', suddenly you aren't so comfortable?  Why is that?  You said you're okay with paying RNG for cosmetics.  Color options on warframes are cosmetics. 

Now, do I think that DE(L) is going to go there?  Probably not.  Or at least, not anytime soon.

Doesn't mean it can't happen ever though...

I'm not putting words into your mouth.  They are your actual words.  See underline above.

You sound like you don't like/aren't interested in Kubrows, so of course it's not an issue for you.  But if I say 'warframes', suddenly you aren't so comfortable?  Why is that?  You said you're okay with paying RNG for cosmetics.  Color options on warframes are cosmetics. 

Now, do I think that DE(L) is going to go there?  Probably not.  Or at least, not anytime soon.

Doesn't mean it can't happen ever though...

You are twisting my words and applying them in ways which I never did and trying to put them into my mouth.

I am quite interested  in Kubros so, again, stop trying to put words into my mouth.

If you have something YOU want to say then just say it.  If you have something you want to know about how I think of something then ASK me.  Don't assume and don't try to put words in my mouth so you can set up a straw-man fallacy.  It is not only disrespectful, but it hurts your own argument as well.