Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

What's A Tenno?

Innocent_Flower

So tenno are people who were affected by the void got powers. Then they got suits to improve their power. 

Question is; are tenno...

A: imbued with raw energy, and have suits to shape that power, or are tenno

B: mutated to have different powers, and the suits merely optimize/refine that power? 

A

Mirage strongly supports this, as being "long lost" means that they'd have to fill the frame with any-old-tenno (or maybe a clone, or maybe there were a bunch of mirage tenno that kept quiet whilst they were suitless. both fairly weak explanations) 

B: 

If the players just had raw power and different suits, why are they different characters and come in all different shapes and sizes? If we were raw power with different suits, wouldn't we be one character in different suits, as opposed to a huge array of mostly-non anatomically correct characters? (it isn't just oberon/nekros with odd proportions. Many frames have helmets that are too small or other features) 

Furthermore, wouldn't we have a significantly larger degree of control over tenno powers if it was the suit that decides them? 

Ember prime's lore states that she burnt the face of an orokin soldier when she was discovered on a ship from the void. 

Nova being commissioned by the "tenno high council" could simply be that that there were a bunch of anti-mater tenno without suits. 

(valkyr could be modified both suit wise and person wise) 

Edited by Innocent_Flower

I kinda like to agree with Captain vors statement. It fits in with my belief that Valkyr (forgive me snake) is an tenno that has been subjected through harsh treatment and was forced into this incomplete frame (default helmet shows two sides of it). Hence the reason why she is so aggressive. Because she cannot cope with the frame that she has been forced into and the instability results in high levels of aggression.

Very little is confirmed save the following points.

* The Mirage Warframe design was lost when either the only or last Tenno to wear it was vaporized by the Sentients. Our Tenno build a copy of that Warframe based on Void imprints that Mirage's last pilot left.

* Ordis states "You have a helmet for a whole new class of Warframe" That states that Waframe types are "classes" supporting the idea that they are not unique.

* Some Tenno can express void powers without a Warframe (Ember codex) however that entry may well have been talking about the _first_ Tenno to express fire powers and thus Tenno the first Ember Warframe was constructed for (Note there is only suggestion that a single child had fire powers not necessarily all the children).

Personally I think that DE knows how to make a game, hence as they have designed all progress mechanics, event scores, story arcs to depend on a single point of view then we _must_ be controlling a single character for that single POV to make sense. Warframes must be advanced, void channeling, techno-organic armour but still just armour. Something to be equipped just like a weapon.

How do all the different shapes/sexes work? I don't know, I like the idea that the Warframe adjusts the pilot and they have fixed powers/shape/personality fragments based on the first Tenno they were designed for.

However there is precedent here, in Dark Sector the 5'5 Nadia Sudek had no issues fitting into the Nemesis armour (Male, 7ft tall and missing a forearm, due to a 5ft long blade) There is no way her skeleton lined up with that suit _something_ had to be happening to her body

I kinda like to agree with Captain vors statement. It fits in with my belief that Valkyr (forgive me snake) is an tenno that has been subjected through harsh treatment and was forced into this incomplete frame (default helmet shows two sides of it). Hence the reason why she is so aggressive. Because she cannot cope with the frame that she has been forced into and the instability results in high levels of aggression.

well, regarding valkyr, her codex entry says something like "the original valkyr was subject to experimentation blablabla" that means there was AN ORIGINAL and COPIES, so your valkyr is a copy of that original and my valkyr is ANOTHER copy.

So... any opinion on A or B? 

You seem to be mixing ideas from my perspective it's a little from your A and a little from your B

A as far as Powers go (Energy from the Tenno, effect's from the Warframe)

B in the case of one-Tenno-per-account-many-Warframes-per-Tenno

Tenno are filled with Void energy that protected them and their Warframes from he tech-control of the Sentients, allowing them to use powered armour and shields where the normal Orokin Military had to make do with suits that had "Zero Tech" (Mag codex)

Some rare Tenno (Ember codex) my well be able to express an actual effect without a Warframe, and I believe the Warframe abilities are mostly based on these unique few. Mostly due to the Orokin having a hard time understanding Organic Void-power (Excalibur codex "Where our science and reason failed")

As Ordis said in the Mirage quest "Now you have the helmet for a whole new class of Warframe" Warframes are not unique by have "classes" indicating there are many of a given type of Warframe.

How does a single Tenno fit in all those different shaped Warframes? We don't yet know. I like to think that the Technocyte material in the Warframe modified the pilot to fit as they enter.

Both and neither, I think its more like in EvE. The warframes are build around and for specific human beings with specific powers (valkyr being kinda an exception). We are the consciousness put into those bodies just like in EvE. That would explain everything. Vor said we are energy, and he is right, we are only the consciousness inside the bodies, we are just energy. Whenever our Warframe in a mission dies, we don't and can revive the warframe/body inside the warframe or just take another one. Also, Lotus was only in fear to lose us as Vors Ascaris started to invade our mind, our consciousness. And that is also why Mirage was considered "lost". The warframe and the body inside were "lost" but we are able to use it again as we put our consciousness into it again.

Therefor, WE are only the consciousness, the energy empowering a warframe. But, what a Tenno is is still unanswered. Is the body inside the Warframe considerd a Tenno, or is the consciousness (or soul) wich was able to free itself from the body it once belonged to a Tenno? This would also put "We turned ourself to the void and came back" into a new light, wouldn't it?

Warframe's are a glass, we Tenno are the water that fills them...  "Be like water my friend".

*mystical music playing*

*Warframe theme plays*

Personally, I believe that the Tenno are living beings that were exposed to the Void. Those that survived, "the twisted few" (or many, seeing we're a lot of players :P) were taken by the Orokin as a last resort against the Sentients, building Warframe armors around them. Thus the war was turned.

I think it's pretty much explained all throughout the various Codex entries.

Edited by NightmareT12

Guest Tehnoobshow

No one knows. The devs don't even know. It's best to ignore any lore in this game until the devs decide to actually write a complete story instead of just putting whatever sounds cool into a new event or codex entry.

*Warframe theme plays*

Personally, I believe that the Tenno are living beings that were exposed to the Void. Those that survived, "the twisted few" (or many, seeing we're a lot of players :P) were taken by the Orokin as a last resort against the Sentients, building Warframe armors around them. Thus the war was turned.

I think it's pretty much explained all throughout the various Codex entries.

It does, that that doesn't explain our Tenno collecting Warframes. No does it explain Our ability to re-create Mirage and use it.

While the Codex entries must be accurate I think they only describe the First Tenno for whom the first Warframes were made.

Because Mirage confirmed that a Warframe type is considered a "class"

Basically excalibur's lore covers what tenno are, people of the orokin who where taken to the void to be tested. They would either go mad and would be unfit for the suits or they would come out sane and as warriors with the strengths and capabilities of their given suit.

Valkyr would be considered one of the unfit frames who by chance is only part of the tenno because of pure coincidence Alad V was using her for Zanuka. Why she didn't kill the other tenno is beyond me since shes obviously not stable.

Nova on the other hand didn't go through the test because of history reasons. The tenno never had to go with those forms of tests anymore after they killed their masters.

Basically excalibur's lore covers what tenno are, people of the orokin who where taken to the void to be tested.

I don't believe it suggests any kind of test, much more likely that humans were twisted by the Void in accidents (mis-jumps) and only _later_ when the Orokin though they may be useful did they start trying to twist people deliberately build Warframes for them.

I don't believe it suggests any kind of test, much more likely that humans were twisted by the Void in accidents (mis-jumps) and only _later_ when the Orokin though they may be useful did they start trying to twist people deliberately build Warframes for them.

Just to clarify test and in trial and not test as in experiment.

Anyway they were twisted beings and they were put in the void to adapt to their skills those who came out where considered tenno and those who didn't were left in the void to rot.

It would also make sense for prime frames since they would be considered outcasts that built their frames around the void and adapted to the harsh place.

Excaliburs lore clearly states the sentinets had won and that in desperation they put those who were left in the void, those who came out alive or not insane were given suits designed for them, given the weapons of the old ways and from there these "tenno" killed the sentinents. Excalibur was the first.

So basically Excalibur's lore was pre great war up until the end of it.

Theory time: Now that I think about it.. Twisted beings, J3/J2K's talk about us being their flesh..

Maybe before we were infested who evolved from humans while the current infested are just slabs of mutated flesh.

So keeping to the ACTUAL released lore behind Warframe, Hayden Tenno from Dark Sector where this originates. He was your US army run of the mill Spec Ops type during the Cold War when became affected by the virus. SPOILER ALERT! Long story short it took over his body and he became Excalibur. So cryostasis * 2000 years = a lot of history that Ordis somehow knows and you have a blank confused look on your face. As for the rest of the Warframes we will use this REAL LIFE theory. All sicknesses of any kind mutates. This is why we have the Infested, Corpus and Grineer. Some became normal people. Some became heroes. A detailed description is in the link below.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Story_and_History

So keeping to the ACTUAL released lore behind Warframe, Hayden Tenno from Dark Sector where this originates. He was your US army run of the mill Spec Ops type during the Cold War when became affected by the virus. SPOILER ALERT! Long story short it took over his body and he became Excalibur. So cryostasis * 2000 years = a lot of history that Ordis somehow knows and you have a blank confused look on your face. As for the rest of the Warframes we will use this REAL LIFE theory. All sicknesses of any kind mutates. This is why we have the Infested, Corpus and Grineer. Some became normal people. Some became heroes. A detailed description is in the link below.

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Story_and_History

DE stated already the events of dark sector and warframe have nothing in common besides the technocyte plauge. Same universe is canon but the history doesn't link directly.

Excalibur isn't Hayden it was confirmed hayden died years ago by DE.

Excalibur is one of the people however who were in the great war and may or may not have been subjected to the technocyte plauge when the tenno originally wanted to use it as a weapon.

Edited by Blk_Mage