Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So How Much Destruction Can The Engine Handle?

noveltyhero

Hey guys,

This is primarily a question to whom it may concern

How much destruction can the engine handle, we have started with simple fans and weird tubes that drop ammo and now we have the Lepanthis breaking off an entire floor as well as ships coming down. Now problem is that most of these are within a cutscene which tend to break immersion, any chance of real time proper destruction?

Similar to the way windows break but something bigger:

For example in the PVP map a spaceship may randomly crash into the top after being followed by another spaceship, yeah *hint hint* we need more stuff happening outside the maps so we stop feeling like single great gods and actually feel like part of a Tenno "network" as mentioned in Vor's Prize.

Thanks! :D

You want to know how much the engine can handle?

Remember 14.0.0.

10 Man squads + Mirage's unnerfed "Hall of Mirrors" with Angstrum

So much.

Or do you mean "GeoMod": Destroyable parts of the map itself instead of pre-placed objects?

Have a lockdown? Great, just blow the wall with the Ogris beside it.

You want to know how much the engine can handle?

Remember 14.0.0.

10 Man squads + Mirage's unnerfed "Hall of Mirrors" with Angstrum

So much.

Or do you mean "GeoMod": Destroyable parts of the map itself instead of pre-placed objects?

Have a lockdown? Great, just blow the wall with the Ogris beside it.

Yeah pre-placed objects. Remember the Cicero Event? When there was a bridge which would occasionally break down causing you to change you approach to the level (in a small scale).

Well if stuff like that gets more implemented the levels would be more dynamic, now a bigger problem would be that until the Havok physics engine (I believe they mentioned that for Cloth physics so would suggest using that engine as well for geo physics) the items look unnatural. Was I the only one who thought that the ship getting destroyed in the Prologue looked slightly too light?

I would love deformable terrain.

Blow holes through walls.  Enter vents at will.  Demo charges to bring down pillars and/or change the shape of the arenas when fighting bosses.

Get caught in the open?  No cover?  Get out your Shovel Prime and dig a fighting position quick-like.

I would love deformable terrain.

Blow holes through walls.  Enter vents at will.  Demo charges to bring down pillars and/or change the shape of the arenas when fighting bosses.

Get caught in the open?  No cover?  Get out your Shovel Prime and dig a fighting position quick-like.

That's too battlefieldy, but small things add up, e.g the windows on corpus ships, if they were made much harder to blow out but actually suck out the enemies (you too but much much slower so you can walk against it) it would change the way we approach certain levels.

That's too battlefieldy, but small things add up, e.g the windows on corpus ships, if they were made much harder to blow out but actually suck out the enemies (you too but much much slower so you can walk against it) it would change the way we approach certain levels.

Imagine the scene. 

A Tenno Liset suddenly has a frozen Corpus Crewman body splattering against the windshield because a Tenno cell somewhere broke the Corpus ship reinforced glass. 

That depends on the kind of destruction you are talking about. Runtime, live, procedural destruction? With the current setup, not a lot of chance of that happening. Pre-defined events suchs as pdos crashing into wall, bridges collapsing? Way better chance and we include as many as we can.

The problem with these is: they take time, lots of it. We always need to make sure the bang for the buck ratio is given with these. A collapsing bridge is cool. Is it still cool when you see it for the 500th time collapsing the exact same way as you've seen it before?

That depends on the kind of destruction you are talking about. Runtime, live, procedural destruction? With the current setup, not a lot of chance of that happening. Pre-defined events suchs as pdos crashing into wall, bridges collapsing? Way better chance and we include as many as we can.

The problem with these is: they take time, lots of it. We always need to make sure the bang for the buck ratio is given with these. A collapsing bridge is cool. Is it still cool when you see it for the 500th time collapsing the exact same way as you've seen it before?

Aha, thanks for clarification! :D

In short that means we are more likely to see them in quests (since you mostly only do them once) rather than your day to day mission :)

Question, could it be made part of the level gen?

Like in the shipyards, there could be a tile with a bridge that say, spans 2 sides of an "Open" dock, but when the other door is locked, approaching the bridge triggers it to collapse (Say, leaving wallrunning plates to get to the other side and the chests by it's door)

Little things like that would be awesome and make the game more dynamic, heck, rather than it just "Collapsing" it could get nailed by a shell from a ship and be blown apart, knocking both friend and foe to the ground.

So you don't know whats going to happen, especially with the enemy design winners coming in the future, they could use some cool entrances involving destroyable terrain, same for some of the bosses in the game (Phorid busting out of a wall and landing in the room, rather than just being on a platform growling at you, for instance)

(Simple way, if one is going to spawn, it has a certain set of tiles it can spawn in that feature the destroyable element, so say the bridge tile spawns, it has a chance to be the one that gets shelled, or the one that doesnt, depending on what the level is laid out like)

Not sure how practical that is, but it's that kind of immersion that a lot of things lack right now.

Edited by Zerethon

Like in the shipyards, there could be a tile with a bridge that say, spans 2 sides of an "Open" dock, but when the other door is locked, approaching the bridge triggers it to collapse (Say, leaving wallrunning plates to get to the other side and the chests by it's door)

Not sure how practical that is, but it's that kind of immersion that a lot of things lack right now.

I know for sure we do have stuff exactly like this in the upcoming Infested set. I'd expect more of these in the future for sure!

HaHaHa "...Get out your Shovel Prime and dig a fighting position..."... thx this made my day :)

I know for sure we do have stuff exactly like this in the upcoming Infested set. I'd expect more of these in the future for sure!

Also, since you mentioned that it takes a lot of time.

Any information on the community making their own tilesets? I know for sure there are lots of creative Tenno and those who love level design (such as myself) and they could add in to the amount of content available in the game, similar to the way Valve does it with their CS:GO maps :)

^You guys did mention that sometime ago very vaguely

... Is it still cool when you see it for the 500th time ...

:O

Cat's out of the bag! Turns out its not RNG after all and the intent is to have us run missions 500 times on every node to get what we need!!! PROOF!!!

...but seriously, it would be fun to have more crates/ boxes in game like the ones in the upper region of the Lephantis scenario. This could be fun for people that like to race in missions. Example: Use large crate to vault across room,turn fire and destroy crate, removing the crate could give a player a significant lead over other players as now they would no longer have the option to use that asset for vaulting.

i know this might be more than the engine can handle, but IMHO this is exactly why a developed physics engine like say the Source engine is so useful for

you can setup terrain and objects and say have an explosion effect go off, and of course its going to blow the building/bridge/etc up each time, but the parts/chunks are not going to fall the same way everytime (thanks to some RNG)

certainly scenes like Vor shooting down the liset and/or intro's benefit from being scripted to run the same way every time, but it is SO much more beneficial for the immersion of the player, to have a believable interactive world that responses accordingly, but not EXACTLY the same way every time

Can the levels have dynamic objects at creation time? I know that containers are placed randomly and Arc Traps seem to be placed randomly (or use preset positions).

I assume that a "tile" could be default set to be a lot more empty, and then either dynamic objects like containers put down or simply have arrangements determined by a preset?

Has any of those concepts ever been discussed by the devs or forums?

Edited by DSpite

Can the levels have dynamic objects at creation time? I know that containers are placed randomly and Arc Traps seem to be placed randomly (or use preset positions).

I assume that a "tile" could be default set to be a lot more empty, and then either dynamic objects like containers put down or simply have arrangements determined by a preset?

Has any of those concepts ever been discussed by the devs or forums?

They are not fully random, at least not sure for Arc Traps. If they were they would spawn in awkward places and right now sometimes they already do and problem with having more dynamic things is that their placement for best map optimization and nav meshing for the AI would have to be on or off.

Meaning the container is either there or not, which would not be a crazy feature as it can still get repetitive, so it would more be a waste of time :/

Meaning the container is either there or not, which would not be a crazy feature as it can still get repetitive, so it would more be a waste of time :/

There is a reason for making the containers have a static spawn. 

After all, it would be rather annoying if the container somehow spawns behind a green door.