Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Wtf, One Of My Friend Finds Out How To Use Firewall Setting To Block All Other Players From His Game In Ds Wars

cary2010haha

Sounds like he's just pulling out his network cord for 10 seconds or however long it takes to force connected clients to timeout.  I remember Letter13 mentioned he figured out how to detect player connections and block them individually so he'd never encounter that player again while he was hosting.

I suppose if a host really wanted to sabotage without getting marked as exploiting then they'd throttle down their connection just enough so it's not slow enough to drop clients but is slow enough to put everyone into the bullS#&$ lag experience.

Edited by KnotOfMetal

I suppose if a host really wanted to sabotage without getting marked as exploiting then they'd throttle down their connection just enough so it's not slow enough to drop clients but is slow enough to put everyone into the bullS#&$ lag experience.

Yup you can do that with tons of programs.

The problem is, this kind of behavior works and isn't really "illegal" per-se (streaming Youtube video during the match isn't against the ToS, afterall).

And in normal matches, nobody cares if you want to go solo or you want to DC other game members (well, it is kinda a jerk move to DC someone intentionally while hosting).

But yet in a PvP game, that's a whole 'nuther story, especially if you're doing it to make sure your side wins.

But the problem then becomes, how do we enforce it?

IMO, I think DE is going to have to go with dedicated servers, but ONLY for PvP Matches on Rails. Think about it -- there are only a handful of Dark Sectors, right? Maybe we could make dedicated servers that'd allow for X number of battles to go on at any given time? That'd remove the possibility of there being someone causing DCs or something.

Or maybe make it so that 1 human player is required on either side and that anything beyond 500ms ping invalidates the match? This would prevent people from ensuring matches vs Bots and completely lagging people out intentionally.

Though I will remind people that I always said PvP was a bad idea way back when Conclaves were introduced and that it was a slippery slope. It started with Duelling rooms in Dojos, to which I said "Meh, but OK if it is only duelling in Dojos".

Then Conclaves came and I said "Uh, I don't really like this, the game is NOT set up for PvP" and now we have Dark Sector conflicts and I said "Uh, ok, don't really like it, but since it is Players vs Bots and mobs, fine." now we have full-on PvP and the obvious stuff is happening. "I told you so" anyone?

Edited by Xylia

and they can just face the AI as the attack side.  And the defense side can do nothing to defense their rail.

DEV should remove the function about attack side can start a game without opp. frist

This is something not to be taken lightly a complete exploit that should be fixed ASAP.