Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Upcoming Color Customization Fix (Planned For Hotfix 14.0.9)

[DE]Steve

Yes they need a fix but rather than crying "change it back" actually suggest a fix.

There have quite a few suggestions been made on how to fix this problem. But since neither DE_Steve nor anyone else from the art team has responded to this thread after the initial posting, it hardly seems worth the trouble by now.

Yeah, I've made suggestions, but am generally fed up with being called a whiner or dryer because I've presented a legitimate problem. DE's lack of a response also makes me fed up. I know DE_Steve is sorry that people don't like the colors, but for me it's not about what I like and dislike. It's about actually having the right colors, whether people like the right colors or not. And if they like all the colors the way they are, then they should just change the palette colors to match them. But I'd prefer if they would brighten those two left columns to make the color on the frames match the palette colors, since they are too dark. And again, it might even be better to leave the end column the way it is, and to just fix the next one over, so that you'd still have a column with dark colors, and then another column with lighter, but not too light colors. Ultimately, I just want DE to figure out why the colors don't match in these two columns, and for them to fix it. Just acknowledging that here would be a great start.

But it doesn't matter how many times I suggest this, or something similar to this. Those who want to pretend like the color changes are perfect will slam this post as "whining", and it's stuff like this that makes me fed up, especially when community mods fail to see the rational arguments being made, and instead try to claim that it's just "my opinion". That kind of attitude only fosters the one - sided negativity in these forums and hinders the effect of constructive feedback by marginalizing/devaluing any feedback that highlights a problem with the game. Yes, it creates a community of "yes men", that only say yes and never no. The analogy, and point of that, is that positive feedback is praised, and negative feedback is shunned as whining. . Some may consider that mere name calling, but it describes the atmosphere that is fostered when every piece of negative feedback is considered whining or crying or mere complaining. DE's lack of response here only serves to contribute to this atmosphere.

But it doesn't matter how many times I suggest this, or something similar to this. Those who want to pretend like the color changes are perfect will slam this post as "whining", and it's stuff like this that makes me fed up, especially when community mods fail to see the rational arguments being made, and instead try to claim that it's just "my opinion". That kind of attitude only fosters the one - sided negativity in these forums and hinders the effect of constructive feedback by marginalizing/devaluing any feedback that highlights a problem with the game. Yes, it creates a community of "yes men", that only say yes and never no. The analogy, and point of that, is that positive feedback is praised, and negative feedback is shunned as whining. . Some may consider that mere name calling, but it describes the atmosphere that is fostered when every piece of negative feedback is considered whining or crying or mere complaining. DE's lack of response here only serves to contribute to this atmosphere.

Yes this! A thousand times yes! I agree with these words 100% It does seem that any constructive criticism or feedback and an issue on any issue turns out looking negative only because there is someone to post afterwards saying they are complaining, therefor putting anything they say in a negative light. The "community mods" from what I have seen basically are there to cleanup and lock threads that people start to try and get the rest of the community with them on an issue, but they never get a chance since they are shut down before people have a chance to share their opinion.

On to the continued issue of the color changes. I ran the game on my fiance's computer and it looked better. Now this is why I take issue with these changes. Not all people can see the same colors in the same way they are portrayed. Also, not all monitors are the same either. So here is my problem. I have never messed with my monitor colors and neither has she, and they look way better for her, only due to the fact she has a newer rig and monitor than I do. I will admit, yes, we can make the colors match by messing with our gamma in-game, or adjust our monitor settings, but why should we have to change our graphical settings to make the colors match now. Sure they didn't match before, and while I am glad they have fixed this "issue", they should have asked us before they forced this update on us. With DE not giving us any sort of response so far, it is clear to us that they will not do anything to potentially revert this, or even provide a workaround for those of us who want the old style back, or for the colors that still simply don't match. Sadly the best thing to do now is just get over it, and while I don't want to do that at all, its just what we will all have to do since they apparently don't care about our thoughts or suggestions. Hell I have been waiting for almost 5 days now to get a support ticket resolved for good, and this is after two and a half days of going back and forth trying to get problem replicated and logs sent. My point is, if I can't get a simple response of " ok great thanks for working with us", we shouldn't expect to get a retroactive fix for our colors.

@Freq1989  I don't think "getting over it" is the right answer.  It may be the easiest answer, but it's not the right one.  Otherwise I agree with your post.

I'm, honestly, more than a little surprised and disappointed that Steve hasn't posted anything more in this thread as I really respect him and he's probably my favorite Dev from watching the live streams.  Like I said earlier in the thread, I do understand the reasons why he did the fix, but I disagree that the gamma pack was enough of a 'peace offering' for it's radical changes to the colors we all bought based on what they looked like at the time of purchase.  

The Tenno pack (to me) seems the most affected by this and is the one I am personally concerned about the most (I am sure some agree with this and others don't).  If there is to be no gamma version of the Tenno palette and the other palettes (for the purchasers of these palettes) then I think DE should really offer platinum reimbursement for those players that no longer want these packs tied to their accounts.

I've been holding off making a support ticket on this because I really thought there would be more interaction from him and the others at DE here. :(

Edited by AZAG0TH

There are some of us who like the muddled washed out colors, you know. We liked them enough that it was a reason for recommending the game to people who were sick of every multiplayer game looking like a Technicolor weeboo wetdream. There has to be some way to give us back those reserved colors without rolling back the changes for people who want the galaxy to look like a Parkour pride parade (Say that five times fast) I don't think a simple filter would work very well either, as it would interfere with the already faded environmental colors. So it's something that would probably take some time and effort. Which has me wondering if we'll be waiting for it for the year it took them to 'fix' the colors this time around.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be too hard just to put a check bot that reverted the warframe to have the previous color pallet effects. a "washed out" effect checkbox xD

All my frames have similar colors, shouldn't be too hard to fix.

As long as the colors were viewable by all in the party in the same way I see them I would be 100% fine with this.  

I'd hate to be playing with my gf and have her say she can't see me on screen because I am too dark when on my screen I look fine.

Edited by AZAG0TH

Yeah, I've made suggestions, but am generally fed up with being called a whiner or dryer because I've presented a legitimate problem. DE's lack of a response also makes me fed up. I know DE_Steve is sorry that people don't like the colors, but for me it's not about what I like and dislike. It's about actually having the right colors, whether people like the right colors or not. And if they like all the colors the way they are, then they should just change the palette colors to match them. But I'd prefer if they would brighten those two left columns to make the color on the frames match the palette colors, since they are too dark.

Any colour pallettes in particular? 

I'm finding most of them match up pretty accurately. A couple colours might be too dark like the dark blue and purple of storm. But I don't find any that are two full columns of off colours.

Any colour pallettes in particular? 

I'm finding most of them match up pretty accurately. A couple colours might be too dark like the dark blue and purple of storm. But I don't find any that are two full columns of off colours.

From what I've seen, all of them, and the two left columns. The saturation looks like it's actually fine, but the colors are too dark in those two left columns.

It's not the tints. I went back and checked, and it's those last two columns that look too dark. It's the colors.

Fair enough. I personally still have to wonder about the internal mechanics of the shaders (because different surfaces on different weapons seem to have different gloss values, and so at times seem to render colors differently—unfortunately, I would need to spend more time in-game analyzing this than I at present can afford in order to be certain); but, for the time being, I'm willing to take your word for it that the colors are rendering incorrectly.

Steve said the issue was that they "missed" the conversion from the picker's sRGB value to the Linear value the material shaders require. I wonder if, perhaps, the issue might be in the engine's rendering of the applied shaders (applied to the textures in Linear format), as opposed to the already-sRGB color pickers?

I think it's more so he just got fed up with even trying to be passive. As, In a lot of the earlier threads, Just because he, or anyone else was against the new Color change, People flipped out and completely were rude for no reason.

I can understand, and even sympathise, with that frustration—I was somewhat annoyed, from the opposite side of the spectrum, when I kept coming across folks being snide about bugfixes being released for stability or crash issues instead of rolling back the color aspect of 14.0.9. In fairness, I mostly decided to actually come participate in this thread specifically in response to someone in the 14.0.10 hotfix thread referring to everyone expressing their joy at having stability and crash fixes as "yes men".

That said, the 14.0.9 came out all of five days ago, and since that time DE has been occupied with numerous bugfixes and a damn DDoS attack. Taking their silence since then on this specific issue to mean they are ignoring you entirely, in addition to adopting a toxic presentation of arguments, does not speak of much patience.

There have quite a few suggestions been made on how to fix this problem. But since neither DE_Steve nor anyone else from the art team has responded to this thread after the initial posting, it hardly seems worth the trouble by now.

It's been all of five days, and it's apparently been all hands on deck for a number of issues. Have a little patience.

Yeah, I've made suggestions, but am generally fed up with being called a whiner or dryer because I've presented a legitimate problem. DE's lack of a response also makes me fed up. I know DE_Steve is sorry that people don't like the colors, but for me it's not about what I like and dislike. It's about actually having the right colors, whether people like the right colors or not. And if they like all the colors the way they are, then they should just change the palette colors to match them. But I'd prefer if they would brighten those two left columns to make the color on the frames match the palette colors, since they are too dark. And again, it might even be better to leave the end column the way it is, and to just fix the next one over, so that you'd still have a column with dark colors, and then another column with lighter, but not too light colors. Ultimately, I just want DE to figure out why the colors don't match in these two columns, and for them to fix it. Just acknowledging that here would be a great start.

See, this is a good argument. I'm with you on this, despite me liking the new colors.

...but this makes me then feel less inclined to debate with you on the topic. I actually tried to respond to your posts in the 14.0.9 thread (which, in fairness, you might've missed because the forum's notification system is buggered as all hell), but you never responded.

In fairness, you shouldn't need to "grin and bear it", but that's the nature of online forum-based arguments, it seems—reasonable arguments get whittled down due to the vocal jackasses, until otherwise-reasonable individuals are strongly inclined to be rude right back.

On to the continued issue of the color changes. I ran the game on my fiance's computer and it looked better. Now this is why I take issue with these changes. Not all people can see the same colors in the same way they are portrayed. Also, not all monitors are the same either. So here is my problem. I have never messed with my monitor colors and neither has she, and they look way better for her, only due to the fact she has a newer rig and monitor than I do. I will admit, yes, we can make the colors match by messing with our gamma in-game, or adjust our monitor settings, but why should we have to change our graphical settings to make the colors match now. Sure they didn't match before, and while I am glad they have fixed this "issue", they should have asked us before they forced this update on us. With DE not giving us any sort of response so far, it is clear to us that they will not do anything to potentially revert this, or even provide a workaround for those of us who want the old style back, or for the colors that still simply don't match. Sadly the best thing to do now is just get over it, and while I don't want to do that at all, its just what we will all have to do since they apparently don't care about our thoughts or suggestions. Hell I have been waiting for almost 5 days now to get a support ticket resolved for good, and this is after two and a half days of going back and forth trying to get problem replicated and logs sent. My point is, if I can't get a simple response of " ok great thanks for working with us", we shouldn't expect to get a retroactive fix for our colors.

This is something I've been meaning to posting a thread about, but haven't gotten a chance to as yet—it does seem like color rendering may be somewhat wonky at times, and working out what exactly are the "intended" settings can be a bit tricky.

The delay on follow-up should not be surprising; the support desk is under extreme load with bug reports, and five days is not that unreasonable with how busy they've likely been lately.

From what I've seen, all of them, and the two left columns. The saturation looks like it's actually fine, but the colors are too dark in those two left columns.

Fiddling with visual settings here. 

Colour Correction+Bloom seems to make certain colours way brighter and others way darker than they should be. 

Are you playing with it on/off? What about bloom?

Edit: And just generally messes over red tones. Bloom alone isn't too bad. Colour Correction is slightly worse. Colour Correction+Bloom = Death of Colours especially reds. 

Edited by LukeAura

Fair enough. I personally still have to wonder about the internal mechanics of the shaders (because different surfaces on different weapons seem to have different gloss values, and so at times seem to render colors differently—unfortunately, I would need to spend more time in-game analyzing this than I at present can afford in order to be certain); but, for the time being, I'm willing to take your word for it that the colors are rendering incorrectly.

Steve said the issue was that they "missed" the conversion from the picker's sRGB value to the Linear value the material shaders require. I wonder if, perhaps, the issue might be in the engine's rendering of the applied shaders (applied to the textures in Linear format), as opposed to the already-sRGB color pickers?

I can understand, and even sympathise, with that frustration—I was somewhat annoyed, from the opposite side of the spectrum, when I kept coming across folks being snide about bugfixes being released for stability or crash issues instead of rolling back the color aspect of 14.0.9. In fairness, I mostly decided to actually come participate in this thread specifically in response to someone in the 14.0.10 hotfix thread referring to everyone expressing their joy at having stability and crash fixes as "yes men".

That said, the 14.0.9 came out all of five days ago, and since that time DE has been occupied with numerous bugfixes and a damn DDoS attack. Taking their silence since then on this specific issue to mean they are ignoring you entirely, in addition to adopting a toxic presentation of arguments, does not speak of much patience.

It's been all of five days, and it's apparently been all hands on deck for a number of issues. Have a little patience.

See, this is a good argument. I'm with you on this, despite me liking the new colors.

...but this makes me then feel less inclined to debate with you on the topic. I actually tried to respond to your posts in the 14.0.9 thread (which, in fairness, you might've missed because the forum's notification system is buggered as all hell), but you never responded.

In fairness, you shouldn't need to "grin and bear it", but that's the nature of online forum-based arguments, it seems—reasonable arguments get whittled down due to the vocal jackasses, until otherwise-reasonable individuals are strongly inclined to be rude right back.

This is something I've been meaning to posting a thread about, but haven't gotten a chance to as yet—it does seem like color rendering may be somewhat wonky at times, and working out what exactly are the "intended" settings can be a bit tricky.

The delay on follow-up should not be surprising; the support desk is under extreme load with bug reports, and five days is not that unreasonable with how busy they've likely been lately.

Probably the BEST post I have read in these forums ...

Respectful, balanced, informative and imminently readable - VERY refreshing +1 Sir

Such judicial temperament should be a goal for all 

Fiddling with visual settings here. 

Colour Correction+Bloom seems to make certain colours way brighter and others way darker than they should be. 

Are you playing with it on/off? What about bloom?

Edit: And just generally messes over red tones. Bloom alone isn't too bad. Colour Correction is slightly worse. Colour Correction+Bloom = Death of Colours especially reds. 

Nope. I don't play with either on.

Well, apparently DE isn't taking any new support tickets at the moment.  lol

Oh well, maybe Steve will come back to the thread in the meantime.

:crosses fingers:

What? Yes they are; I just submitted a support ticket a few seconds ago. O.o

Really?

Huh, weird.. I hit submit request and all I see is

Warframe support is currently under Extreme load right now. Please be patient with us while we do our best to clear the backlog!

with nothing underneath it.  I'l try again later, or with another browser.

Thanks.

Edited by AZAG0TH

Really?

Huh, weird.. I hit submit request and all I see is

Warframe support is currently under Extreme load right now. Please be patient with us while we do our best to clear the backlog!

with nothing underneath it.  I'l try again later, or with another browser.

Thanks.

Weird. Did you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page? Because it does show that over the ticket submission form...

Awesome!!!

Just an offtopic question: When will Trinity's new ability icons be released in-game? The official website uses the new ones since U10, because that's when you said she got her new icons, but they couldn't reach the game yet.

Whoops, sorry about missing those. They should be fixed in the next hotfix.

Well, at least we know someone at DE is looking at the thread!

Hi Draice!  Any word on if anything is going to be done about Tenno pack's radical shift in pre-"fix" colors and how they are all washed out now?

Куда делись тёмные оттенки в красках тэнно???

Я не говорю на русском, но Google помог с этим.Тенно пакет является наиболее пострадавших от этого изменения. Я ненавижу это слишком.
Edited by AZAG0TH

I see they still refuse to address this. Devs can come here to address a completely offtopic issue yet they can't come here to address the actual topic at hand? Oh well. I wonder how many other things they will ignore due to negative feedback.

Edited by AntoineFlemming

I see they still refuse to address this. Devs can come here to address a completely offtopic issue yet they can't come here to address the actual topic at hand? Oh well. I wonder how many other things they will ignore due to negative feedback.

I personally may not have any problems with the color customization changes... but speaking in general sometimes it begs the question yes.

I wonder how much more beer cans some of the Devs are opening (just to quote Scott from one of the Livestreams) to even read our feedback and then abandon it anyways to the void of the archives. xD

Edited by MeduSalem