The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

This Is What I Don't Understand About Flux Rifle And Spectra

PeanutMonster

They have freaking limited range, that should mean that the gun should shine at short distances, but no. Spectra is still the third weakest secondary weapon in the damn game, despite requiring mastery rank of 4 and a Forma to craft it! Flux Rifle is mediocre at best, despite requiring mastery rank of 6(!!!) and a Forma to craft as well. Flux Rifle is a exact copy of Quanta, with reduced range and a lack of alternative firing mode.

Those guns should get a serious buff, even after being buffed twice already. Theoretically Flux Rifle should be as good as Synapse and Amprex. They all require mastery rank of 5-6, but yet Synapse and Amprex deal double (Amprex even more depending on how many enemies it hits) the DPS compared to Flux Rifle.

Here's a suggestion: Make Spectra and Flux Rifle have innate punch through. If that gets implemented, Flux and Spectra would finally be better at short ranges, being able to damage multiple enemies, without the DPS loss which comes when equipping Shred or Metal Auger at the place of some better mod. A slight damage buff on top of this is ought to do it.

Edited by PeanutMonster

I don't disagree that they could still use some work but the spectra at least. deals some decent damage now. Definitely wouldn't say it's the third weakest

DPS wise it is the third weakest gun only behind Lato and Aklato, maybe fourth weakest depending on how bad Ballistica is. Lato and Aklato also have unlimited range.

Edited by PeanutMonster

I've yet to try the flux since the change, but the Spectre is noticeably better. I've termed it the proc-stick, since its great at proc-ing whole fields of enemies. Throw a punch through mod on and all those ele+status mods in whatever combo you need and you'll be blasting, radiating, and corroding whole clumps of enemies. Works best against infested.

Still, I'd love to see both weapons further buffed. Really any weapon with a mastery requirement should be looked over and tweaked to make it worth the master req. 

The Spectra I've been polarizing lately (I had too much rum), it's surprisingly a good status effect weapons and putting something silly like viral on it does help offset the range, although it definitely needs to get its damage turned up a notch to compensate for it's extreme short range.

We need a reason to want to use the Spectra over the Embolist.

not everthing need explosions or punch through ... i would like that the dmg type would be wither pure fire or 50/50 fire and slash

and why not change it a bit with a 'waming up time' so at first ist low dmg and high ammowaste, when 'hot' nice dmg and good efficence ... i know lasers dont work that way ... but the dont have a limit in range too ^^

Edited by Ampera

I liked the Flux Rifle a lot before they lowered the frequency at which continuous-fire damage registered on targets — it just didn't feel as fun. Still, innate punch-through would be an excellent way to give the Flux/Spectra a niche.

This.  The desire to "stop the numbers fountain" of continuous weapons hobbled the entire class of weapons as a whole.  It doesn't even make sense when weapons like the Soma still create huge numbers fountains.

A handful of continuous weapons have the raw stats to overcome this inherrent flaw, but they would be so much better if they reverted the behavior of continuous fire weapons.

They have freaking limited range, that should mean that the gun should shine at short distances, but no. Spectra is still the third weakest secondary weapon in the damn game, despite requiring mastery rank of 4 and a Forma to craft it! Flux Rifle is mediocre at best, despite requiring mastery rank of 6(!!!) and a Forma to craft as well. Flux Rifle is a exact copy of Quanta, with reduced range and a lack of alternative firing mode.

Those guns should get a serious buff, even after being buffed twice already. Theoretically Flux Rifle should be as good as Synapse and Amprex. They all require mastery rank of 5-6, but yet Synapse and Amprex deal double (Amprex even more depending on how many enemies it hits) the DPS compared to Flux Rifle.

Here's a suggestion: Make Spectra and Flux Rifle have innate punch through. If that gets implemented, Flux and Spectra would finally be better at short ranges, being able to damage multiple enemies, without the DPS loss which comes when equipping Shred or Metal Auger at the place of some better mod. A slight damage buff on top of this is ought to do it.

This arguments are getting tiring, and I'm getting tired of hearing them.

So, in order to to save EVERYBODYS time, let's do it this way:

You obviously know all the mods as well as we do, so, pick the 8 you would put on a Flux Rifle, list them here, and then just state exactly what the Flux Rifle should do in DPS - EXACTLY - and any other "effects" it should do, as percentage Procs, or Crits etc etc.

I'm serious, you are asking for a buff, but I want to know what the Flux Rifle will do, after a player mods it, and then I want you to explain where you would use the gun for best effect.

PS: It just happens to be my fav gun, hence the question.

Edited by DSpite

I actually think the Spectra's great fun to use now. It's not nearly as frivolous with its ammo as it had used to be. I haven't used the Flux, but I can only imagine it's similarly improved.

Anyway, I honestly think all of the "give X punch through" is an incredibly boring buff, even moreso than just giving it damage, oddly enough. After the Lanka got it, it seems like that's all anyone can ever think of giving weapons. I think Renegade343 suggested something like it being stronger the longer you hold the beam, which I find a little more meaningful.

I'm serious, you are asking for a buff, but I want to know what the Flux Rifle will do, after a player mods it, and then I want you to explain where you would use the gun for best effect.

Given the content of the OP (i.e. their DPS is too low), I imagine he wants more damage. Alternatively, a more flavorful buff might be something like killed enemies are detonated, inflicting an AoE heat proc (Flux rifle looks more like it'd do Heat damage anyway) to enemies around it. Maybe justify it with something ridiculous, like it superheats the target's blood, causing their atoms to be spontaneously ionized.

Naturally, it'd be nice at targeting weak enemies and subsequently stunning the bigger people.

Granted, my buff sounds a little lame, but I'm not really that creative.

Edited by Otenko

I actually think the Spectra's great fun to use now. It's not nearly as frivolous with its ammo as it had used to be. I haven't used the Flux, but I can only imagine it's similarly improved.

Anyway, I honestly think all of the "give X punch through" is an incredibly boring buff, even moreso than just giving it damage, oddly enough. After the Lanka got it, it seems like that's all anyone can ever think of giving weapons. I think Renegade343 suggested something like it being stronger the longer you hold the beam, which I find a little more meaningful.

Given the content of the OP (i.e. their DPS is too low), I imagine he wants more damage. Alternatively, a more flavorful buff might be something like killed enemies are detonated, inflicting an AoE heat proc (Flux rifle looks more like it'd do Heat damage anyway) to enemies around it. Maybe justify it with something ridiculous, like it superheats the target's blood, causing their atoms to be spontaneously ionized.

Naturally, it'd be nice at targeting weak enemies and subsequently stunning the bigger people.

Granted, my buff sounds a little lame, but I'm not really that creative.

Yea, but fully Forma'd It used to put out around 8K DPS (before buff) I don't know what it might do now. I already mod it for Blast, and only have 2 polarized slots, and I do knock down mobs in a area sometimes. When I tried a mission with 38 level mobs, I still had the old build for extra ammo, and it was taking around a 1 second beam to kill them. Heavy gunners were another story, but my damage mods are no where near maxed.

Based on the limited effects mods can do, I don't think there is something unique you could get the Flux Rifle to do. I don't personally like the overheat idea, but it's probably as good as I've heard so far. I have already used it to snipe across the map with Volt, way to make snipers look worse with a 25m beam weapon :)