Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who Misses Charge Attacks? Returning Confirmed-Edition + Poll

BoomToon43

I was really hoping for a combo system that incorporated quick and heavy (charged) attacks to make various attacks with benefits to using both. The channeling system is okay, but I feel like we replaced spamming charge attacks with just spamming normal attacks and the occasional guest appearance of the shift (block) button. Combat definitely looks cooler, but it doesn't really feel much different. 

Any and all threads in favor of doing something to return charged attacks have all of my yes. BOY do I miss them...

I want something as rewarding as that blocking combo in the Stance mod for fist weapons that knock enemies away, but without being forced go spam the goddamn melee key without holding block. Something that can actually make me feel like all my strength went into that swing. And that can actually let me FEEL I gave the enemies a serious hit. (NOTHING in this game for me feels better than be able to punch them with my Rhino so hard they fly away.)

Any and all threads in favor of doing something to return charged attacks have all of my yes. BOY do I miss them...

I want something as rewarding as that blocking combo in the Stance mod for fist weapons that knock enemies away, but without being forced go spam the goddamn melee key without holding block. Something that can actually make me feel like all my strength went into that swing. And that can actually let me FEEL I gave the enemies a serious hit. (NOTHING in this game for me feels better than be able to punch them with my Rhino so hard they fly away.)

loved the old Bo's charge and knock them too the moon  attack , miss it 

I'd love to see some of this ,,incredibly timed''  charge attack videos. Because the only one who did that in the groups I played was myself. I saw dudes running across the room and be like ,,DO DEM CONSTANT CHARGE ATTACK''

I may have seen a few good ones. And I do incredibly miss my dual kamas charge. To be honest, i really wouldnt mind DE giving us the charge attacks back with Melee 2.0

I had awaited much much more from Melee 2.0 then just being a few combos and blocking that come in hand with a stance mod. What I'd like to see is a more free combo system, leave channeling and combos for fancier stuff i dont mind. Lets take a dakra for example. When you would unsheath your weapon, you would get  E : being a vertical slice, R: doing a horizontal slash , T:doing an uppecut slash and G: doing a stab. And then that you could make your own combos, just add the option to hold the button while doing the attack to increase the DMG. For example , doing an uppercut slash and then when pressing and holding E the frame jumps up, spins in air to charge his strength and then lets it out on the enemy, cutting it in half.

THAT is what i would like to see more in melee 2.0 then to do timed button mash.

I hope Its understandable what I mean, i suck in explaining in english.

I miss charge-attacks all the time, I just can't aim well enough and fail on the timing.

Joke aside, I don't miss them, but I agree that charge-attacks and channeling should be options rather than forcing everyone to use channeling. There wouldn't be a need for additional mods actually. Most melee-weapons have two stances to choose from. Simply put: Give every melee-weapon type two polarity-fitting stances, one of them adding channeling, the other one adding charge-attacks while adding combos to both. No need for giving two weapons or stances of the same type different stance-polarities anymore, because both will be used then voluntarily because of their mechanics. Problem solved. Right?

Edited by RedEyedRaven

Honestly, I don't like Melee 2.0...

I really liked using the charge attacks....a lot.

The new combos are fancy, I suppose, but I preferred the simplicity of the old system.

And I really miss the sweeping/AOE you got from the charge attacks. I mean...most of the combos now toss you in all sorts of directions, send you jumping, leaping...it doesn't feel very intuitive to me.

The old system gave me a nice feeling of control...I controlled movement, and I controlled where and how I would swing the weapon.

Then Melee 2.0 came along, and basically said, "HEY GUYS! Let's toss precise melee combat out the window and just reward everyone for spamming! SPAM THE E BUTTON, SPAM IT!"

Plus, don't even get me started on channeling. I never use it...ever. It sucks up so much energy, you basically need to decide whether your want to use warframe abilities or use channeling, because you really can't use both... 

It makes me sad...the system that was supposed to make melee more rich and rewarding basically just made it cheap, annoying, and downright ungainly to use...

(Though selling rare stance mods for platinum never gets old.)

So yeah...I'm waiting for melee 3.0...(But not before hacking 2.0, please.)

The new combos are fancy, I suppose, but I preferred the simplicity of the old system.

And I really miss the sweeping/AOE you got from the charge attacks. I mean...most of the combos now toss you in all sorts of directions, send you jumping, leaping...it doesn't feel very intuitive to me.

The old system gave me a nice feeling of control...I controlled movement, and I controlled where and how I would swing the weapon.

Then Melee 2.0 came along, and basically said, "HEY GUYS! Let's toss precise melee combat out the window and just reward everyone for spamming! SPAM THE E BUTTON, SPAM IT!"

Plus, don't even get me started on channeling. I never use it...ever. It sucks up so much energy, you basically need to decide whether your want to use warframe abilities or use channeling, because you really can't use both... 

It makes me sad...the system that was supposed to make melee more rich and rewarding basically just made it cheap, annoying, and downright ungainly to use...

yea i agreed, especially about the channeling, like only 1.5x multiplier?! like Wtf and killing blow puts that to only 2.1 and with killing + corrupt charge is only 2.6!

Agreed. I'd say this:

* Bring back chargeattacks, and make them deal like 2.5x normal damage. Nothing too high, but not stupidly low either. Make the chargespeed moddable with attackspeed mods, damage by damagemods. No need to overcomplicate them or make them a seperate attacktype.

* Make Channeling consume STAMINA. Regular melee swings (and sprinting) should not consume stamina any more.

* Allow blocking out of meleemode. Could be less stamina-efficient, but it would at least let us use reflexes to block knockdowns and such.

* Allow melee combos in gunmode.

So, why go into meleemode then? 3 things

1) Efficient blocking

2) Channeling

3) These things

Melee 1.0: I spam [hold E].

Melee 2.0: I spam [EEpauseEEEEEEEEEEuntil I get dizzy]*repeat

In both systems I end up spamming some form of E. Really, by the time the utility of most combos take effect(most movement combos) everything is dead. If they want each combo to do something unique AND useful, the keystrokes that make the combo different need to take effect immediately and by the third keystroke.

Anyway, both systems promote spam of some sort.

lol for me I use mouse button 3 :D

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. I do miss charge attacks, but there was really very little point to using normal attacks when charge attacks could be done instead (I'm looking at you galatine users), unless you had those high attack speed type weapons such as dual-something or maybe an Orthos. Also, charge attacks had almost no down side, making it very spammable in just about every situation. Surrounded by infested? Charge attack with a heavy weapon, utilizing a charge build of course, and your monster problems are gone (until the next wave comes in). At least channeling drains your energy. Whether you run a channeling efficiency build or not is a different story.

I don't mind if it came back, but it shouldn't replace channeling. I know a lot of people who prefer channeling over charging, and would be a tad irritated if the system was reverted. Plus, what's not to like about the trail of energy that tails your weapon during a channeling phase? Almost feels like I'm wielding a light saber when using a sword-type melee weapon.

Edited by Eggzodiya

The only problem with having channeling and charge attacks is that for charge weapons (such as galatine) channeling would just make nothing compete. We could see 100k damage charge attacks from galatines before melee 2.0. Now imagine that with channeling on top.

Channeling would have to be made not to apply to charge attacks.

The problem that fast weapons had compared to charge weapons was lack of damage. Give non charge weapons a comparable damage level (just split over many hits) and they would be able to stand next to charge weapons. Hell some people would probably pick the non charge weapons simply for the speed as most charge weapons were generally overkill except at high wave/time in endless.

Hell, even though I had a Galatine built for charge I still had other weapons built for beating the S#&$ out of things since it was fun to hack and slash through infested just like it was fun to cleave swaths of infested in half in one blow.

The only problem with having channeling and charge attacks is that for charge weapons (such as galatine) channeling would just make nothing compete. We could see 100k damage charge attacks from galatines before melee 2.0. Now imagine that with channeling on top.

Channeling would have to be made not to apply to charge attacks.

The problem that fast weapons had compared to charge weapons was lack of damage. Give non charge weapons a comparable damage level (just split over many hits) and they would be able to stand next to charge weapons. Hell some people would probably pick the non charge weapons simply for the speed as most charge weapons were generally overkill except at high wave/time in endless.

Hell, even though I had a Galatine built for charge I still had other weapons built for beating the S#&$ out of things since it was fun to hack and slash through infested just like it was fun to cleave swaths of infested in half in one blow.

do you remember that awesome-rewarding feeling when you time your heavy weapon perfectly to launch them across the room? Yea I do, I wish I could still do that....