Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Who Misses Charge Attacks? Returning Confirmed-Edition + Poll

BoomToon43

I wish charge attacks were part of certain weapons such as the heavy ones. Hate used to have this awesome spin-up animation before unleashing a powerful swipe. I mean, many weapons still have charge attacks like the Glaive and Redeemer...at least bring them to the Heavy class weapons again and people will probably enjoy the Galatine again.

I MISS THEM!

Guys, guys, don't worry they said they were re- experimenting with them in the devstream, they are probably gonna return.

There's got to be some way to get back charge attacks and keep channeling.

Yes, and it's super simple. Just do what they did with Glaive. "Hold E to charge" How hard is that? There's literally no downside to this.

watch this guys.....

Why not both?

Edited by BoomToon43

They are CONSIDERING bringing them back. Just because their considering it doesn't mean their coming back. You will have to wait until 2016 for confirmation.

To be honest i hate the idea of past charge attacks, unless the DE finds out a way to make them not stupid and spammed i will be mad if they come back. >.> Everyone who spammed charge attacks is a noob in my book.

#2222 post! HYPE

Edited by Feallike

They are CONSIDERING bringing them back. Just because their considering it doesn't mean their coming back. You will have to wait until 2016 for confirmation.

To be honest i hate the idea of past charge attacks, unless the DE finds out a way to make them not stupid and spammed i will be mad if they come back. >.> Everyone who spammed charge attacks is a noob in my book.

#2222 post! HYPE

lol well if they returning it wont take them a full year, like all they need to do is make new charge attack animations for the kronen,Silva & aegis, venka, and katanas,(which kronen and silva and aegis had charge attacks on their concepts) the rest will just use their old animations, and also probably won't take very long to make a balanced charge attack system. 

I think charge attacks should be implemented as the 'heavy attack' type that replaces all 'pause' situations in combos.

Instead of: E, E, Pause, E, E, E

You have: E, E, R, E, E, E, R

First heavy attack initiates combo, second ends combo.

meh, I like charge attack because it's satisfying to charge up a weapon like a hate or reaper prime and slice them in half with one powerful blow but what you are doing it just asking a new key to replace the pauses in the combos, and they have recycled the charge attack animations, like the first attack in crimson deverish and the 2nd attack in the "shadow wing" combo on stalking fan. Edited by BoomToon43

meh, I like charge attack because it's satisfying to charge up a weapon like a hate or reaper prime and slice them in half with one powerful blow but what you are doing it just asking a new key to replace the pauses in the combos, and they have recycled the charge attack animations, like the first attack in crimson deverish and the 2nd attack in the "shadow wing" combo on stalking fan.

They've placed charge attack animations where they fit, but that doesn't mean they can't make different ones.  Or better yet, use the current "recycled" animations at the proper points in the combo where charge or "heavy" attacks normally would make sense.  Both visually and for damage purposes.

What you're asking for is the return of the old charge system.  Your point about recycling animations bodes worse for the old system more than my suggestion.  I like charge attacks, but I think they'd work better in melee 2.0 as a properly placed attack rather than the spammable attack they once were.

Maybe allow charged attacks to be combo breakers that just immediately end any combo with a heavy strike.

Edited by Thaumatos

i didn't bother to read through all 23 pages to see if this idea i suddenly thought of was already mentioned

regarding bringing back the charge system, how about tying it in with the combo multiplier counter system thing?

it would be so that the weapon would need 20 melee hits on their combo multiplier during "melee mode" / "one handing" before they can hold E to use a charge attack until they let go of E (the multiplier won't go away while the player is holding the E button (like the dual ichors))

i also have an idea for controlling it, if the player was standing still or just holding any directional keys, they would use the charge attack in their current position, but if they were also holding their sprint key (shift by default), they would have a burst of increased movement speed while until they let go of the E button, thus being able to have some sort of mini excalibur slash dash to get near the enemy they want to use the charge attack on, they could also let go of the sprint key midway for additional distance control

also the damage that the charge attack will deal will also deal the player's current combo multiplier, so if say, the player's current combo multiplier was already at 2x and they decide to use a charge attack, the charge attack will be computed to deal that combo multiplier, and then the multiplier will be "spent" accordingly either maintaining the multiplier at 2x, or at 1.5x.

DE could also add mods for like say, reduced counter cost for charge attack (similar to channeling efficiency), charge attack physical damage (similar to serration), charge attack charge up rate decrease (similar to the old reflex coil), hell, maybe even a slight chance to swing twice (similar to split chamber or something)

there could also be an additional, unique swing to the charge attacks depending on the stance mod equipped, to do that, after letting go of the E button, when another E is pressed, that unique swing will be executed

i think this would add more importance even if only a little to the combo counter we have now, it would bring back the old charge mechanic as the "old, veteran" people in this thread wanted, it could also give the other "bad" stance mods (crossing snakes.........) some use with the additional unique swing, and it would also add a bit more mods to throw into the pool (oh boy rng)

and if i haven't strayed from my train of thought yet, by the end of the day, the controls won't be changed much, with more focus on the melee button

feel free to point out any point i might have missed out that will make this system (or at least similar to it) impossible to implement

TL:DR: hold E charge attacks costs combo multipliers (more details above)

i didn't bother to read through all 23 pages to see if this idea i suddenly thought of was already mentioned

regarding bringing back the charge system, how about tying it in with the combo multiplier counter system thing?

it would be so that the weapon would need 20 melee hits on their combo multiplier during "melee mode" / "one handing" before they can hold E to use a charge attack until they let go of E (the multiplier won't go away while the player is holding the E button (like the dual ichors))

i also have an idea for controlling it, if the player was standing still or just holding any directional keys, they would use the charge attack in their current position, but if they were also holding their sprint key (shift by default), they would have a burst of increased movement speed while until they let go of the E button, thus being able to have some sort of mini excalibur slash dash to get near the enemy they want to use the charge attack on, they could also let go of the sprint key midway for additional distance control

also the damage that the charge attack will deal will also deal the player's current combo multiplier, so if say, the player's current combo multiplier was already at 2x and they decide to use a charge attack, the charge attack will be computed to deal that combo multiplier, and then the multiplier will be "spent" accordingly either maintaining the multiplier at 2x, or at 1.5x.

DE could also add mods for like say, reduced counter cost for charge attack (similar to channeling efficiency), charge attack physical damage (similar to serration), charge attack charge up rate decrease (similar to the old reflex coil), hell, maybe even a slight chance to swing twice (similar to split chamber or something)

there could also be an additional, unique swing to the charge attacks depending on the stance mod equipped, to do that, after letting go of the E button, when another E is pressed, that unique swing will be executed

i think this would add more importance even if only a little to the combo counter we have now, it would bring back the old charge mechanic as the "old, veteran" people in this thread wanted, it could also give the other "bad" stance mods (crossing snakes.........) some use with the additional unique swing, and it would also add a bit more mods to throw into the pool (oh boy rng)

and if i haven't strayed from my train of thought yet, by the end of the day, the controls won't be changed much, with more focus on the melee button

feel free to point out any point i might have missed out that will make this system (or at least similar to it) impossible to implement

TL:DR: hold E charge attacks costs combo multipliers (more details above)

A restriction related to the combo multiplier to avoid spamming? Hmmm that's a way to solve the problem...

I'm a little ambivalent,but it's a way to solve it.

I never understood. There are already weapons like Glaive, Kestrel, Redeemer that have a special attack that is activated by holding down R1/melee attack. Why heavy weapons and swords don't have a special attack activated by holding down the button?

Because DE

I think charge attacks should be implemented as the 'heavy attack' type that replaces all 'pause' situations in combos.

Instead of: E, E, Pause, E, E, E

You have: E, E, R, E, E, E, R

First heavy attack initiates combo, second ends combo.

meh, I like charge attack because it's satisfying to charge up a weapon like a hate or reaper prime and slice them in half with one powerful blow but what you are doing it just asking a new key to replace the pauses in the combos, and they have recycled the charge attack animations, like the first attack in crimson deverish and the 2nd attack in the "shadow wing" combo on stalking fan.

Hey HeyHey why do you fight? Let's do both, men.

"R/reload" for heavier attacks, & pauses replaced. Holding "R/reload" lets you do a good ol' charge attack we all know.

Edited by unknow99

I never understood. There are already weapons like Glaive, Kestrel, Redeemer that have a special attack that is activated by holding down R1/melee attack. Why heavy weapons and swords don't have a special attack activated by holding down the button?

Well they took out charge attacks in melee 2.0 and were going to replace them with a more decisive heavy attack system.  DE, as per Geoff, had the original intent of including charge attacks in combos as opposed to a separate choice to make while fighting.  That eventually turned into a toggle switch that we know as channeling.

My opinion, and this may or may not get into the realm of conspiracy theory to some of you, is that they didn't have the time frame they wanted to work out all the issues on a light/heavy attack system on top of all the new animations and controls for melee 2.0.  Honestly, I think melee 2.0 was probably the biggest project DE has followed through on so far excluding Warframe itself (unless there's something that went on in-house that players didn't get to see).  Tons of new mods, new controls, multiple combo sequences, weapon categorizing, hit counter, melee weapon main-handing, blocking re-work, channel system, and all the animations...the animations...wow.  The work that went into animations alone...

Anyway, yeah.  If they put in the original charge attacks they talked about from nearly day one of melee changes, they'd have been without melee 2.0 for even longer.  Possibly even into this year since they've stated on stream 44 that they (seemed to be recently) had issues worked out with control schemes.

I would say charge attacks were put on hold as other things were worked out.

Well they took out charge attacks in melee 2.0 and were going to replace them with a more decisive heavy attack system.  DE, as per Geoff, had the original intent of including charge attacks in combos as opposed to a separate choice to make while fighting.  That eventually turned into a toggle switch that we know as channeling.

My opinion, and this may or may not get into the realm of conspiracy theory to some of you, is that they didn't have the time frame they wanted to work out all the issues on a light/heavy attack system on top of all the new animations and controls for melee 2.0.  Honestly, I think melee 2.0 was probably the biggest project DE has followed through on so far excluding Warframe itself (unless there's something that went on in-house that players didn't get to see).  Tons of new mods, new controls, multiple combo sequences, weapon categorizing, hit counter, melee weapon main-handing, blocking re-work, channel system, and all the animations...the animations...wow.  The work that went into animations alone...

Anyway, yeah.  If they put in the original charge attacks they talked about from nearly day one of melee changes, they'd have been without melee 2.0 for even longer.  Possibly even into this year since they've stated on stream 44 that they (seemed to be recently) had issues worked out with control schemes.

I would say charge attacks were put on hold as other things were worked out.

yea seems like it.

• 3 weeks later...

They might talk about it on Devstream 46.  I think they might still be debating the best way to do it outside of simply bringing back the old attacks and without making too much work for themselves animation-wise in each of the combo attacks.

Though I could be wrong; DE doesn't seem to know the meaning of "too much work" ... they're like robots over there.

Edited by Thaumatos

• 4 weeks later...

ok tenno live is coming and U16 in the next week or so, i excited to see if they show the charge attacks for the new weapon types that were added after U13(sword & boards, claws, nikanas, tonfas,)

Edited by BoomToon43

Charge attacks are boring. How about they just fix channeling?

To fix channeling - would require alot of back and forth ideas and testing .While  bringing charge attack back seems a lot easier 

yea and charge attacks are SOOO much more satisfying