Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The Hunhow 2.0 (Utility-Only Companion Concept) The Rebirth

ZeroJackdaw

I would love to use these in combination with my kubrows. Then i can be a full pet master ^^, Cos picking between these and kubrows is gonna be a hard choice. I love this concept! The different species and how to obtain them seems like fun as well.

this idea is awesome, i've always wanted de to add more species to our current roster of companions so that there's some more variety and this idea just feeds into that dream so well. we also do need more companion functions than what is just provided, as you noted kurbrow are damage while sentinels are a fine mix of support and damage, where or where is our support focused companions? 

really hope this concept gets taken somewhere, it'd really help the companion system flourish. (also those designs are gorgeous and i want pls)

You mean, like Kubrows who can bite a level 30 Lancer in half with a single attack? :P

Or level 60 heavy gunners with maxed bite/maul. w/ x4 corrosive projection. God help them if it's a huras Kubrow doing a charge attack.

This concept is incredible. I just can't help but check in on it every now and then :P. Awesome job!

But don't leave me out on all the fun! I feel like helping you draft some secondary abilities.

Scout (Uncommon): (active out of combat, but primarily based on precept order) the Hunhow flies far ahead of the squad and its handler, moving to and revealing undiscovered portions of the map to the squad. Places/objects of interest (such as Orokin vaults, caches, syndicate artifacts, and other secondary objectives) will be given a unique waypoint by the Hunhow upon their discovery. The waypoint is permanent until a Warframe happens upon the location it points to. In addition, Scout will allow the Hunhow to give the exact location of party members, waypoints, and other minimap objects that it shares a tile with (as opposed to having such objects limited to the local tile door that leads to them when the minimap is expanded). The location of a Scouting Hunhow also appears on the expanded minimap to all allies, giving insight as to its exact location and the areas it has covered. The rank of the mod would expand the Hunhow's scouting range. Note: I'm not entirely sure how DE has set up tile generation or map optimization protocols, so I am not certain as to how feasible this ability would be to implement. Still, I think that it could easily happen if recources were provisionally allocated to work in favour of the Hunhow and map schematic only (without loading the tiles) while it is scouting in other areas. But I'm not a level designer, so take that with a grain of salt.

Rebirth (Rare): Upon dying, the Hunhow falls to the ground and reverts to an ethereal egg which is immune to damage and untargetable by enemies. A player may pick up the egg (datamass-style) and collect health and energy orbs, which will feed into the egg (not the player) while the egg is held. Upon reaching a certain threshold of energy/health, the egg will levitate upwards and the Hunhow will be reborn at full health and shields. The efficiency with which a player can collect orbs into the egg, in addition to the number of times it can occur per mission (probably capped at 2-3) would be depandant on the rank of the mod.

Avatar (Rare): (active on ability use) When the Hunhow's handler uses an ability, it will emulate the ability's energies and gain a copy of that ability to use for itself. Whenever an ability is stored (only one can be stored at a time), the Hunhow will glow brightly. When the Hunhow is ready to store an ability, it will emit a faint chiming sound to the player. How the Hunhow uses the stored ability will depend on what kind of ability it is (offensive tactics for Ember's Fireball, for example, but defensive ones for Loki's Invisibility and area-based ones for Vauban's Bastille). The actual strength of the Hunhow's copy relative to the one its master used would depend on the rank of the mod. Note: I'm actually on the fence about whether the Hunhow may be able to store ultimate abilities. While the answer might seem obvious (No) the thing is it might be balanced if (and only if) the ability-strength transfer efficiency afforded by the mod's rank doesn't have a high cap (Say, if it was 50% transfer efficiency as opposed to 100%). Of course, there's also the issue about transferring, say, a Hysteria or Peacemaker (I laughed a little thinking about that). Let me know what you think about this one.

You might have noticed that I kinda emphasized "space magic" in the latter two abilities. You can count this as just another idea: I just thought that it might help to solidify a unique identity for the Hunhow (as mystical, high-class Orokin pets, allusory to pheonixes or chimeras or dragons) maybe as opposed to the Kubrow (which are savage, warlike beasts, allusory to very real wolves and hounds). Let me know what you think about that and the abilities. And keep it up! As many have already said, I WANT ONE. Lol.

May I suggest for the Guardian hunhow instead of being linked to it, the player could be linked to 1 other enemy unit? Similar to link, but being limited to 1 unit, when the warframe is under low health and there being a short transition bewteen the next link.

It seems that at higher leveled content the hunhow would be going down very quickly, so this way its able to extend its usability.

Or alternatively the hunhow could have a very high shield reserve and this could be linked to the player instead?

If I may suggest alternate names to fit in with the Kubrow style of naming things:

Outrider - Cockatrice - The Outrider is the most geared towards offense of all the Humhow, fitting with the Cockatrices' many ways to kill.

Mimic - Phooka/Puca - Named after the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P%C3%BAca , which were known to bring good AND bad fortune and were shape-changers; this last part I felt was particularly fitting with Mimic's abilities.

Plunderer - Roc - Wasn't able to find anything particularly "clever", but the Roc was known for its great strength I'd imagine being able to pick through alloy armor and carry items back to its master would require such strength.

Guardian - Pheonix/Griffin - The Pheonix was the first thing that crossed my mind for him because of... well, PHEONIX guard (and Shimmering flare giving me a huge "firebird" impression, but that's ALSO why its such a lame choice. Enter the Griffin - in antiquity thought to be a guardian of the divine.

I'm really liking the ideas you guys are brewing up. I'll have to add them in later. So far the topology on the first 3D model (the Plunderer) is cleaned up and done now comes texture work. Which is half way done. Should be able to show it off by the end of this week. :D

I'm really liking the ideas you guys are brewing up. I'll have to add them in later. So far the topology on the first 3D model (the Plunderer) is cleaned up and done now comes texture work. Which is half way done. Should be able to show it off by the end of this week. :D

I look forward to seeing it very soon.