Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Over Looked/under Rated Mods That Are Actually Worth Something

(PSN)theelix

What I mean is, what mods have you experienced that gained worth after an update or that you love to use because it had wonderful utility for you?

For me, those mods are:

Reflex Guard: It's basically free Iron Skin to me. It'll stop damage (now anyway. Thanks Melee 2.0) whilst doing things that you couldn't usually block during and while shooting as long as you have a constant firing weapon. Or a fast enough trigger finger. Also protects you while reviving teammates, jumping, wall running amongst other things.

Shield Flux: This ties into about everything for me, really. Basically, at that point, my stamina doesn't matter. And, as I main Excalibur and (now) run Vitality, those shields are gone by mid game anyway. It helps so that I can sprint after I melee for a while, wall run for longer, general sprint for longer and since I use Rage and Quick Thinking, it gets the shield out of the way so that it actually lets them do their thing. 

Energy Channel: This one is very recent, but it's not on just about all of my melees. I block a lot, and channel a lot, and Radial Blind a lot and use energy like I'm a GD Energizer Bunny. 

I had a recent thread questioning what Energy Channel does. It, at max rank, takes whatever energy you use and converts it into bonus damage. Which means channeling's energy gets instantaneously turned into extra damage. 

Now, it's not much. Most people have higher channeling efficieny than me, mine being at ~200, but that's not the point. I did testing, the bonus damage amplifies elemental damage. I didn't understand what that was, but after using it for so long I realized it adds all that damage to your base elemental damage. So, say your fire damage is at 100, if you proc it, it's base damage is now 300. This helps if you, say, are fighting infested with gas damage on. That's a 75% boost to light infested. So, that 175 damage gets boosted to 525 damage. That's quite a substantial difference, if you ask me. 

Those are my three, what are yours? You don't have to explain if ya' don't feel like it.

Just punch-through... I'll never understand why punch-through didn't catch on. Firing down a hallway with punch through is -THE- single highest damage mod in the game. If you hit six targets that's the same as +500% damage.

The rest is mostly preference. People don't like randomly blocking, or don't mind managing their stamina.

Though I will say that the tactical alert opened up a lot of these. Defense buffer mods are 20-40pts each but that "useless", "band aid" resist mod for fire resist was only three points. I often wondered how many of the people I rezzed had ignored that mod when making their builds thinking it was pointless.

Just punch-through... I'll never understand why punch-through didn't catch on. Firing down a hallway with punch through is -THE- single highest damage mod in the game. If you hit six targets that's the same as +500% damage.

The rest is mostly preference. People don't like randomly blocking, or don't mind managing their stamina.

Though I will say that the tactical alert opened up a lot of these. Defense buffer mods are 20-40pts each but that "useless", "band aid" resist mod for fire resist was only three points. I often wondered how many of the people I rezzed had ignored that mod when making their builds thinking it was pointless.

Does punch-through increase damage as it goes through people or do you mean damage per bullet, as it's doing 100% damage to each and that's adding to the total damage that bullet has done?

Edit: Thank you for explaining and I've started using mods like Shred and Seeker. You're right! I'm killing tons of enemies with just one clip. Especially on two of the tilesets in sechura. They fall like flies.

Edited by (PS4)theelix

I did this a S#&$ TONNE with my Brakk before they rebalanced the Damage Drop-Off. Just park my &#! at the entrance of a hall just outside the door so that enemies could spawn, and then hose down the door. I still do it with my Stillettos and Dex Furis, though...

Does punch-through increase damage as it goes through people or do you mean damage per bullet, as it's doing 100% damage to each and that's adding to the total damage that bullet has done?

damage per shot x targets hit

It does not increase damage per shot, just number of targets.

The only time it actually increases damage vs a main target is when you have an inaccurate weapon (or operator) shooting at an enemy in partial cover. Every shot can hit, rather than some hitting the rail / ledge / window / ramp / box / whatever.

Edited by VKhaun

I did this a S#&$ TONNE with my Brakk before they rebalanced the Damage Drop-Off. Just park my @$$ at the entrance of a hall just outside the door so that enemies could spawn, and then hose down the door. I still do it with my Stillettos and Dex Furis, though...

I try to tell people this while leveling guns on Apollodorus all the time and they just don't want to hear it.

All you need is the patience of a five year old to let them come down a hall and they'll spawn forever and ever for you to farm like a boss and punch-through makes it twice as fast. Just had a guy, not twenty minutes ago, tell me I 'fail at logic' because of some nonsense he made up on the spot about LoS... I let a rank 4 hang out with me and kill a ton of stuff while I dropped packs, and I still finished 200 kills higher than everyone else who argued with me.

At least the rank 4 gets it now though.

Edited by VKhaun

Don't know how underrated Equilbrium is, but that is one extremly handy mod. It kind of lets you stay in the fight and live to fight another day.

With Oberon and Nekros this can keep you tilt the balance in your favour to use skills, and for everyone else except Trinity perhaps it's pretty much the only way of getting more HP (while it gives you energy for health too, energy is much more common).

Enemy sense is nice too, helps you get the most out of those aoe-skills.

Not a mod, but using scanner + melee seems like a underused technique (works great with glaive)

Fortitude.

Shield regen is highly underrated. It actually will boost your sustainable Dps by minimising the time you spend out of combat.

Plus 20% chance to ignore enemy bs is a big plus in my books.

In my honest opinion, you should change that with Reflex Guard. That can also boost your DPS by making it so that you don't have to take cover at all and you can just keep shooting. Reloading is the only time it really hurts but if you just turn you back for the duration, you'll be fine. 

Just my opinion, though. You don't have to listen to me.

Did they fix how Reflex Guard will prevent you from reloading or shooting or ... anything until the animation finishes?

I ditched it because I could do literally NOTHING until the animation finished...

I only have that problem during reloading. I think it's because reloading is made to be an interruptable thing. So that you can pull out your melee and other weapons.

Edit: Also, if you're stuck in a block loop, doing a quick melee and trying to shoot usually fixes the problem unless you don't have bullets.

Edited by (PS4)theelix

Mine would probably be diamond skin because during the event, when I farm on Europa for Cryotin, you get hit with lasers. Lots of lasers. Like walls and walls of lasers. SInce i run a rhino+iron skin most of the time, the added protection against the lasers for when my skin fades is fantastic.

Also warm coat is real nice as well.

All the Damage Resistance mods, they are very underrated, but they are life savers in PvP. Anti-Toxin, Lightning Rod, Insulation, Flame Repellent. Specially the Anti-Toxin because Toxin Damage is very OP in PvP because it bypasses Shields and do +50% damage to Tenno Health.

Reflex Guard underrated? What? Reflex Guard is one of the most OP mods in the game. It was never underrated.

Edited by RexSol

All the Damage Resistance mods, they are very underrated, but they are life savers in PvP. Anti-Toxin, Lightning Rod, Insulation, Flame Repellent. Specially the Anti-Toxin because Toxin Damage is very OP in PvP because it bypasses Shields and do +50% damage to Tenno Health.

Reflex Guard underrated? What? Reflex Guard is one of the most OP mods in the game. It was never underrated.

I've seen little to no one use it. 

And only now it is, really. Before melee 2.0, Reflex Guard was absolutely worthless. xD It just interupted your shooting or reloading to block and negate no damage. 

I've seen little to no one use it. 

And only now it is, really. Before melee 2.0, Reflex Guard was absolutely worthless. xD It just interupted your shooting or reloading to block and negate no damage. 

Yeah but you just have to get away from direct fire and it will stop blocking... On PvP there is a bug that if you are shooting and Reflex Guard procs, you continue to shoot while blocking. There is also a bug (both PvP and PvE) that the mod Rage will give you energy when you are blocking, which makes it even more OP.

Maybe Reflex Guard is not so popular for PvE players, but on the Conclaves is considered the most OP thing in the game along with Quick Thinking. So OP that good players don't use it, it's unfair and stupid, it completely changes the outcome of a PvP fight.

I wouldn't know if Reflex Guard is underrated because i play PvE stuff only when new content comes out, then i fully forma the weapons if i like them, and go back to the Conclaves. :)

Yeah but you just have to get away from direct fire and it will stop blocking... On PvP there is a bug that if you are shooting and Reflex Guard procs, you continue to shoot while blocking. There is also a bug (both PvP and PvE) that the mod Rage will give you energy when you are blocking, which makes it even more OP.

Maybe Reflex Guard is not so popular for PvE players, but on the Conclaves is considered the most OP thing in the game along with Quick Thinking. So OP that good players don't use it, it's unfair and stupid, it completely changes the outcome of a PvP fight.

I wouldn't know if Reflex Guard is underrated because i play PvE stuff only when new content comes out, then i fully forma the weapons if i like them, and go back to the Conclaves. :)

Reflex guard, to me, is invaluable in PvE. Getting shot from all directions, I never have enough time to pull out my melee to block and RG just does it for me, especially when a heavy gunnner starts. 

Also, I've never had a problem against people in PvP using QT and Rage. I think they keep forgetting that Magnetic removes shields, and Energy, and basically leaves you open. 

Fortitude.

Shield regen is highly underrated. It actually will boost your sustainable Dps by minimising the time you spend out of combat.

Plus 20% chance to ignore enemy bs is a big plus in my books.

Approved.

I stated how shield regen was important when I ran the suspicious shipment event. It helped me a lot.

Reflex guard, to me, is invaluable in PvE. Getting shot from all directions, I never have enough time to pull out my melee to block and RG just does it for me, especially when a heavy gunnner starts. 

Also, I've never had a problem against people in PvP using QT and Rage. I think they keep forgetting that Magnetic removes shields, and Energy, and basically leaves you open. 

Quick Thinking Alone is OP but is not a problem, the problem is if used with Reflex Guard, because of that bug that makes the mod Rage give you energy while blocking. Then this happens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL-TS3SvOC8

No joke, the Undying Will and Provoked mod combo are pretty damn good (at least early game).

As far as I can tell (can't confirm on wiki), going down many times in a row comes with 0 penalty in this game.

I can't begin to recall all of the defense levels I cheesed by rolling around on the ground dealing 110% damage, it's really strong especially early game when your secondary tends to be stronger than your primary.

Edited by Vallerian