Koumei & the Five Fates: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So Now That I Have Learned A Bit Of Fourier Transform (For Fun)...

Renegade343

Not gonna lie, I'm still not sure what you want to find nor why. 

For one of Warframe's soundtracks, use the Fourier series to represent the sound as the sum of simple sinusoidal functions. 

And I am doing this for fun. After all, math is fun when we start to get to the more complex things.

For one of Warframe's soundtracks, use the Fourier series to represent the sound as the sum of simple sinusoidal functions. 

And I am doing this for fun. After all, math is fun when we start to get to the more complex things.

Its mind-boggling to me, I am not very proficient in mathematics...

What about Valkyr's screams? The wavelength of her screams?

Guessing asking for a translation in normal people English would be too much? LOL

I need a way to find a clean recording though. 

I'd be shocked if the End User License doesn't forbid this, but you could definitely unpack a copy of the game files on your computer to get pristine copies of the source audio tracks. Maybe put a copy of the game files on a Ubuntu box and unpack it there. Just don't use any DE intellectual property for anything besides the frivolous and harmless A to D stuff you contemplate here. They won't have encrypted the audio files, as it adds too much overhead.

Guessing asking for a translation in normal people English would be too much? LOL

Well, those curves you see on those heart beat machines can be called sine-waves if i am not mistaken. If i am correct though, then you could apply those curves you can also find in the heart beat machines to the fourier series since they are simple sine-waves but then placed in a wave pattern.

Well, those curves you see on those heart beat machines can be called sine-waves if i am not mistaken. If i am correct though, then you could apply those curves you can also find in the heart beat machines to the fourier series since they are simple sine-waves but then placed in a wave pattern.

yeah, you're mistaken about heartbeats being sine waves

But you could, technically, model them as the sum of sinusoidal waves. 

you can model ANY waveform as a sum of sinusoidal waves

no offense, buddy

for example, a square wave is the sum of a sinusoidal wave and all of its harmonics

anyway, I don't want to stifle your creative process...where were you going with this?

For fun. 

Because I am bored. 

Believe it or not, this creative urge is what I admire and respect most about youth. Your mathematical aptitude and general intelligence are revealed and would probably be enhanced by the exercise of converting a moment of streaming audio into a snapshot of the frequencies and amplitudes that comprise the audio. So it would NOT be a waste of time.

That said, it would also not be GOOD use of your time. Any oscilloscope will provide continuous Fourier transform data on any complex signal, including audio. It's what they do. You should cast around for something to apply your intelligence and creativity to that can't be done perfectly and instantly by a machine.

Not to push you in any particular direction, but the field of artificial intelligence has thousands of problems suited to your capabilities. You could start with ways for machine intelligence to transform text into a symbolic/mathematical expression with which it can perform operations. The mess that is the current state of the algorithms involved would throw you into giggle fits.

If you could hang onto your creativity long enough to pick up a basic knowledge of CUDA v 6+, which is free by the way, you could take a look at the math I have so far and tell me where I'm missing the point. I don't think you necessarily need to be able to use SQL, but basic Java would be a big help. Incidentally, Java and Python are both free, and NetBeans is arguably a better development environment that MS Visual Studio. I'm just saying I have free NetBeans (free from Oracle by the way) and $2k MS Visual Studio, and I never actually use Visual Studio.

If you're still bored after solving symbolic algorithms for artificial intelligence, then maybe you could look into theoretical physics. There is still some very interesting work to be done in making a good unified theory. To be honest, I think the entire 'superstring' direction is a complex way to model something that in principal MUST be much, much simpler.

But even theoretical physics would be done vastly better and faster if you learn to use CUDA 6.x from nVidia.

If you have any interest in these directions, and you're willing to spend your gaming time learning to use the best tools currently available, here's my suggestion:

1. Start with Java. It's easy to learn and surprisingly interesting on Khan Academy. (NOTE: Khan Academy is FREE, and is the best and most efficient way to learn almost anything. But especially Java.)

2. Install the latest free CUDA from nVidia. You will need to register, but that's it. They don't pester you.

3. Do all the CUDA tutorials and read (or at least skim) the AI forums

4. Install the latest free NetBeans from Oracle. Install ALL the extra content and libraries. Also registered, but it's a tool that will serve you the rest of your life. Do the tutorials and figure out all the provided demo software.

5. You need Java, at a minimum, to show people what you've done in CUDA. But to get 'er done fast enough that writing code doesn't become a time suck, I strongly suggest you run the Python tutorials and get comfortable with Python. It's just way faster and better than straight Java.

6. Profit/fun

Either start from scratch with an entirely new idea that you come up with, or take the gruesomely plodding logic I originally wrote in SQL and make something useful out of it. Or, do something entirely different. Really, I think you might have more fun working with symbolic math. It's just that the symbolic processing engine I wrote fast to prove or disprove the symbolic layer already works much better than the conversion of text to symbolic math.

In theory, I'm supposed to be making an application that can provide text support to online users. But the larger problem is that the bulk of the data on the net is basically noise to machine intelligence. Being able to decipher all that 'noise' and interact with it as machine intelligence is the next real breakthrough in big data. I do have a working symbolic layer that runs in T-SQL, but it is laughably slow on a serious server, and horribly error-prone. I know my choice of SQL probably seems counter-intuitive, but it's so much faster and better than non-setbased logic that it's not funny.

(Edit) NOTE: 

-  All of this is FREE, because I purposely showed you the best free tools to massively amplify your effectiveness. In actuality, the similar tools you have to pay for are inferior.

-  CUDA will use your video processors to do massively parallel processing. CPUs are quaint and outdated.

-  If you put in the effort to make these tools your own, you will become powerful in ways that really matter.

Come on, Renegade. Take that intelligence, drive, and creativity and shake the foundations of the universe. I dare you.

Edited by Derpo