Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

The New Pbr Stuff Looks Great, But There's One Thing That Bothers Me.

Tails-san

The new texture for the corpus helmet shown during the live stream, while definitely more impressive than the existing one, doesn't really seem to fit the general corpus aesthetic very well. It has a rather rough, dirty, look to it, which doesn't really align with existing Corpus aesthetics. 

It can't really fit the design aesthetic at the moment since everything is pristine looking with the current settings. When the update ships I'm sure it will look much better and more fitting. I didn't think it looked dirty at all, more detailed sure, but not dirty.

I see what you're saying. All of the corpus tiles and the whole concept of them is a clean and spotless aesthetic, and the dirty, kinda worn down look of the new helmet seems off. I kinda agree but it looks too good to argue with. :3

I disagree but I understand where your coming from op :) But I love the look of it, and if the devs are holding true that this can work on low end pc's then I may be able to start using my PC again for Warframe, though I've made too much progress on PS4 at this point. Oh well :P

Im sure in due time when everything is updated with PBR it will all fit nicely and be concise.

If anything, even the old look looks too plastic, which also does NOT fix the pristine, highly reflective metallic look we see in their ships and bases.

I think a middle ground can easily be met to be honest, so I don't see why we have to either agree or disagree here (which seems to be most of the comments I see right now). They keep the metallic look in the pbr preview, but polish some of the textures a bit more to remove a few "stains," mostly keeping them on some corners and edges where it's more likely to get scratched, and there we go.

In fact, they can go even further by having regular crewmen with the current version shown in the Devstream, and have higher ranked crewmen (such as Elites) be cleaner and chrome-like. There's many possibilities and they will finally have the opportunity to go crazy with that.

Edited by Casardis

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I think the pbr corpus helmet fits corpus better. Its true, the corpus are definitely about no-bullS#&$, clean form, and and non-distracting grey and blue colors in an uncluttered, structured form. That doesn't mean the corpus necessarily value pristine cleanliness in style. I think Corpus culture arises from function in an ordered form, not letting things like helmet sheen or even matte paintjobs be a priority. Corpus don't seem to be concerned with beauty beyond the undeniable attraction of ordered function. In a big way it reminds me of some of the jobs I've had working on an assembly line for air bags. Form was constantly revised for efficiency, not for beauty.

I imagine the corpus helmet being forged in a a mold which was approved by an appointed design board, for gear suitable to meet conditions for which they researched. It was designed to meet only the approved level of function. I imagine planning went into conservation of resources and efficiency of production, and resources for strictly cosmetic applications. Corpus beauty arises seemingly when a more attractive design will not require any additional or wasted resources or time. 

The Grineer seem to have a stranger aesthetic. Grineer design is very pragmatic, but also clearly represents certain style that comes from more hands on type of manufacturing and a somewhat hacked together, modular type of approach to functionality. The grineer are probably more likely to weld structures together based on whats available to them. More concerned with explosives and raw materials, but they seem to take raw materials into consideration and shape them into more appealing designs, as we can clearly see from grineer weapons.

Beauty is a concern of the corrupted. Form and beauty in excess. The Corrupted, for some reason, have no lack of resources and scale for their projects.

PBR isn't limited to reskinning with a set material type. Its going to make:

Corpus aesthetic look more like an army of mechanical, purpose-efficient drones.

Grineer aesthetic look more like a very tactile, raw, passion driven (broken looking) gear.

Infested look even more sinewy and organic in contrast to their environment.

Corrupted, Clean, beauatiful, shiny, smooth and overly ornate.

For more information, this site has a great overview of the basic effects with some interactive sliders to see the effects in the unreal engine.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/PhysicallyBased/index.html