Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

"i Find Your Lack Of 'haggle' Disturbing"

Cowhawk

As a trader, other than the gain of platinum, and the capability to get anything i need...i'm now noticing a very common trait in a lot of people on the trade channel...

Nobody haggles.

There is nothing i love more than saying a price, then people say what they want to pay, then meet in the middle.

It just feels like good business, everyone wins. It's just so annoying, saying a price which i know is selling a lot lower than otherrs and people just going

"Too high" *Player is now ignoring you*

I can't be the only person who WANTS to haggle...can i? 

It's part of the reason I started just buying well below the market and offering package deals instead of discounts in my mega-mart.

In the trade chat, players are exactly as you described so I just buy at a firm price and I don't allow them to ask for more.

I then repackage it together with mods that might be useful for the average player and sell an entire package, which means they don't have to haggle with me and it creates a more pleasant experience overall.

I guess people just lost the idea of haggling, but I also feel it's easier to calculate profit when I don't change the prices of my wares ^^.

i know what you mean, my "safe" haggling method consists of adding 10 and in most cases only 5 more plat to the price i really want to sell the item for people usually say if i can sell for 10 or 5 less and i accept, maybe you are not very good at haggling... although it is true that haggling is kinda considered "rude" by many players, in my personal experience is kinda a waste of time since im not really into the "meta game" of trading, i still enjoy killing grineer and corpus.

It's quite common. I don't usually sell things, and when I go to buy things, I ask what price the person has in mind.

SO often, they respond with "well, how much do you want to pay for it". I insist they name a price(their duty, as the seller!), and they insist I name one instead.

So then I tell them what I think it's actually worth, and they generally laugh or ignore me.

I mean, they don't even attempt to name a price, just "not enough"... What's the point of claiming you'll sell something if you're not willing to say how much you'd part with it for?

On the other hand, many trades I know have spoken of ridiculously bad prices on things as asked by buyers.... the most common one is this idea that arcane helms should sell for 35 plat or fewer.... when it costs 75 plat to buy a new one with less power. o.0 You would imagine they'd offer at least market value for something that is no longer obtainable.

Admittedly, it's not really a bonus I would pay 75 plat for, but it is an object that cannot be acquired any other way.

It's quite common. I don't usually sell things, and when I go to buy things, I ask what price the person has in mind.

SO often, they respond with "well, how much do you want to pay for it". I insist they name a price(their duty, as the seller!), and they insist I name one instead.

So then I tell them what I think it's actually worth, and they generally laugh or ignore me.

I mean, they don't even attempt to name a price, just "not enough"... What's the point of claiming you'll sell something if you're not willing to say how much you'd part with it for?

On the other hand, many trades I know have spoken of ridiculously bad prices on things as asked by buyers.... the most common one is this idea that arcane helms should sell for 35 plat or fewer.... when it costs 75 plat to buy a new one with less power. o.0 You would imagine they'd offer at least market value for something that is no longer obtainable.

Admittedly, it's not really a bonus I would pay 75 plat for, but it is an object that cannot be acquired any other way.

yea... it's funny because if we really get to choose how much to pay i will always choose the minimum amount possible: 1 platinum, off course that can't be a serious offer, but i think that people pretending the buyer to name the price are kinda asking for it : P

Honestly, i'm pretty good when it comes to the trading, i make myself a comfortable profit with anything i sell, especially the Event mod sets :P

But as Llyssa said, people have a number in their head...but seem adamant to not let the person they want to sell it to know...makes so little sense...

I suppose it's a problem from western civilization. The stores have pre-named prices, and you pay exactly that. You cannot go into a big box retailer and convince the cashier to give you a discount over the marked price by any virtue--the company has set the price, and you will pay that, or you will leave empty handed.

It's kind of sad, really, as I find that haggled prices on things tend to feel more satisfying. You both agreed to what you deem a good price, so you know both of you feel like you came out ahead. Given the wide range of flux in actual prices(consider how much a farmer sells corn for versus what some fancy retail outlet does), it's obviously still existent. It's just not a practice for the unwashed masses.

I haggle all the time.

Heck I've been known to give a few white lies to knock down the price a bit.

"Hey I'm interested in buying this"

[seller says price]

*I wait a minute or two* 

"Err, I hate to say this but there's another fellow who's selling it for less... But I did contact you first, any chance you could match their price of [insert more reasonable and/or slightly lower price here]?"

yea... it's funny because if we really get to choose how much to pay i will always choose the minimum amount possible: 1 platinum, off course that can't be a serious offer, but i think that people pretending the buyer to name the price are kinda asking for it : P

I'm always reasonable. The thing is, I'm *VERY* good at haggling, though, so my offers tend to predicate upon "prices I've paid for similar things".

For many people, I guess this would be fair, but on a certain MMORPG, I once acquired a max level staff for a sack of fish and 2 potatoes. The person with the staff had gotten a version with better stats, and the fish could make a healing potion that was extremely useful for them, but which gave almost six times as much health as I had max, so it was worthless to me. I acquired shoes and a nice dress too, but they were of much less value than the max staff.

If I can get shoes, a dress, and a max level weapon for a sack of fish and 2 potatoes...

I haggle all the time.

[seller says price]

*I wait a minute or two* 

"Err, I hate to say this but there's another fellow who's selling it for less... But I did contact you first, any chance you could match their price of [insert more reasonable and/or slightly lower price here]?"

Er, lying is bad, and they're not "white" lies if they're hurting someone else(in this case, the other person's bottom line).

I haggle all the time.

[seller says price]

*I wait a minute or two* 

A moderator telling white lies? You disappoint me... :(

Well just kidding, when buying I tend to just offer a price I think is fair, if they don't like it tough. I'll find what I want eventually =P

Though I never use trade chat to sell, only to buy.

Selling is done through my mega-mart :D

I haggle when I can.

I do get the trading channel cold shoulder fairly often, though. 

"You wanted the Blind Rage, right"

"Yeah"

"How much are you willing to offer?"

[no response]

I guess a lot of people want you to spoonfeed them an answer so they can (most likely) disagree with it.

Edited by Noble_Cactus

I guess a lot of people want you to spoonfeed them an answer so they can (most likely) disagree with it.

Exactly this. A lot of players seem very reluctant to take the leap and suggest a price, and that's both buyers and sellers.

Edited by Dualice

Haggling is a dying art in today's world/culture/society. Nobody in their right mind would go and try to haggle in a supermarket, for example. We've grown accustomed to paying what the seller wants without asking any questions. Contrary to my grandfather; he grew up when haggling was common. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to haggle at a supermarket!

Honestly, as much as I like haggling, the lack of it makes me hope they might introduce an auction house in the public areas when they come out, so I don't have to sit in trade chat all night when I'm trying to sell stuff. 

Edited by HiTekRedNek

I also got 50 lbs of steak for $100 once... and had the salesmen throw in the actual moving and storing of it for free.

They were so proud of their efforts to get it all in to the storage space available that I had to chase them down to pay them.

Same here. Getting sick of offering a slightly higher price the I want (after making it very clear I haggle) only to be abused or ignored.

Or worse, they blindly take the deal and hurt themselves by wasting the opportunity.

No matter how clear you make it that you will negotiate people still ignore that fact.

I always post "WTB [whatever]" and sift through the responses.  I usually get a few.  If one is already at the price I want to pay, I buy it and tell the others "Already got it thanks".

If the prices asked are too high, or if someone won't name a price, I'll offer what I'll pay and see where it goes.  The ones who won't name a price are the ones who have no concept of the true value of an item, or are looking to take advantage of someone.  I won't deal with them beyond saying "I'll pay X plat".

Haggling requires two people in the transaction who BOTH understand the value of money and who BOTH understand the value of the object they're haggling over.  Warframe doesn't usually have that.