The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Suda: A Benevolent Lovecraftian "deity"?

Brimir

A little.

She wants knowledge. The only reason she's interested in preserving things is because if things were destroyed their knowledge would be lost.

Of course, the implication there is that once something's knowledge has been acquired, that thing is now meaningless to Suda. 

Cthulhu is a strong old god and he don't need no greater evil.

Long before mankind existed, The Old Ones trod upon the Earth. They worshiped the Elder Gods and served them as slaves. But in time, the Old Ones gained the knowledge of dark magic and dared to use their sinister powers against their masters. The wrath of the elder Gods was merciless and terrible. And those who rebelled against them were banished to distant dimensions and imprisoned deep within the darkest recesses of the Earth.

In deathless sleep, the Old Ones dream and lie in wait for the time when they shall rise again. For when the stars come right, they shall awaken from their eon-old slumber.

Then shall they return to hold dominion over our world once more, bringing woe and destruction unto mankind.

TL;DR - Cthulhu is, relatively speaking, a wimp :)

Edited by Brimir

If SUDA was tangible, I'd probably hug it.

And oh, Knowledge is Power.

Seize him.

Xuimma is surrounded and grabbed by Red Veil operatives.

Cut his throat.

One pulls a knife.

Stop. Wait. I've changed my mind, let him go.

The Veil operatives back off.

Step back three paces, turn around, close your eyes.

The operatives obey.

Power is power.

Sorry, had to.

Seize him.

Cut his throat.

One pulls a knife.

The operatives obey.

Power is power.

Sorry, had to.

Finally, someone gets it.

Hah! Now that's a very proper nihilistic way to put it. Lovecraft would be proud.

Ironically enough, Lovecraft is the only constant for his stories and the universes they make when you think about it.

Finally, someone gets it.

If Cantis doesn't have an incredible love for wine now I will be DEEPLY disappointed.

Hah! Now that's a very proper nihilistic way to put it. Lovecraft would be proud.

I'd like to think Lovecraft thought the same way.

Some contemporaries I've read think that the only reason he let humans win in The Crooked House and The Dunwich Horror was to show that even beings greater than us are, in the end, just another being. They may exist on a scale greater than our own, or live in the cracks between worlds or whatever, but they'll suffer the same fate as humans eventually.

I'd like to think Lovecraft thought the same way.

Oh no doubt. Lovecraft was incredibly nihilistic - especially about the self-righteous importance we humans put on ourselves. In his universe, humans are nothing but ants in the grand scheme of things and the various deities and beings out there might crush us accidentally as we might step on an insect.

Which, if you ever think about the vastness and indifference the universe displays towards us, is probably correct.

Some contemporaries I've read think that the only reason he let humans win in The Crooked House and The Dunwich Horror was to show that even beings greater than us are, in the end, just another being. They may exist on a scale greater than our own, or live in the cracks between worlds or whatever, but they'll suffer the same fate as humans eventually.

Aye, quite a few of the civilizations/species he created are shown in decline. Like the starfish-shaped aliens in Mountains of Madness, or Cthulhu's Ry'leh.

Edited by Brimir

So... the talk about Suda suddenly changed into Lovecraft dissussion :D

Well, the discussion started with me comparing the "conciousness" behind the Syndicate reminding me of a Lovecraft deity, albeit a benevolent one whereas actual Lovecraft beings are generally either indifferent or outright malevolent towards humanity.

Not really the impression it gives me, OP. Lovecraftian deities have no use for the knowledge Suda seeks... beings such as Nyarlathothep just are, and it could be argued that they are but avatars of the absolute cosmic destiny. At once, they don't need knowledge and they know all. Nothing can escape the gaze of the burning three-lobed eye.

Suda, on the other hand, is a corporeal entity, more-or-less ruled by the same set of rules we mortals must follow. Put in proper scale, when compared to the true cosmic horrors, Suda and us are indistinguishable, utterly irrelevant motes of dust. So you better remember...

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Seize him.

Cut his throat.

One pulls a knife.

The operatives obey.

Power is power.

Sorry, had to.

tumblr_nb59k8kHqn1roorhto1_500.giftumblr_n90ot82HJB1t3jmtdo1_250.gif