Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Will Any Warframe/tenno Ever Talk? Ever?

KaptainK3nny

You'd figure if we are about to go bowling and play arcade games at a sunny vacation retreat when these player hubs launch, that they will be adding another "human"-like feature to the warframes.. Silly poses, some catchy one-liners, tuxedos, sandals.....

I'm sure we'll get voice packs for em eventually, with the direction we're headed..

You'd figure if we are about to go bowling and play arcade games at a sunny vacation retreat when these player hubs launch, that they will be adding another "human"-like feature to the warframes.. Silly poses, some catchy one-liners, tuxedos, sandals.....

I'm sure we'll get voice packs for em eventually, with the direction we're headed..

maybe a little something posh for our gentleman Limbo?

Very unlikely. The devs talked about it many, many livestreams ago and, if I remember correctly, they basically said that they don't want to create an 'image' of a frame that would conflict with the player's. For example, you'd probably expect Rhino to have a relatively deep, powerful voice but, even if that's what DE give him, it could still be different from what you had imagined (which could hinder your attachment to that character). Aside from actual dialogue, they mentioned that they experimented with simple grunts, but I honestly don't remember why they decided against it (whether it was the same reason or something different).

Edited by Ailith

It's like Ailith and d3me said: The silence of the Tenno allows us to project ourselves/a personality we favour. It's the main stay of classic RPGs really.

Games with a lead player character often have either no written lines at all, dialogue options which aren't voiced and if so, rarely, or a combination of emotes. This lets you personalise somewhat, especially if you're prompted to change the character's canonical name. On the other hand, games like Fire Emblem Awakening let you make a character, but you're somewhat fleshed out through the given storyline and the main choices you have come down to the look of your Avatar, and how you lead/develop your army. It can work, but the difference is you're either playing 'your' story or your playing 'Character's' story. In God Eater Burst, you actually do get to select a voice and pitch for your avatar, used only in missions, but during all but two cutscenes you are stoic and silent throughout the game. Which can be a bit jarring as one minute you can go from poised to a Blood Knight in mission.

Warframe has the problem that for every single released Warframe, the only influence they want to have on your interpretation of that character is down to the Aesthetic traits. Even then, we are free to mix cosmetics, colour ourselves however we please and even the choice of which Idle animations we use is an expression of individuality. Even our loadouts and builds can 'speak volumes'.

Voices, even for simple things like groans of pain, can utterly wreck a person's interpretation of that character though. For example, let's look at Trinity. On the one hand, she could be given a 'sisterly' sort of voice, the kind you'd associate with healing and all that good stuff...Or, she could be given a darkly malicious voice that utterly flies in contrast with what someone else might expect to hear. Yet it'd be more than possible, considering some of the horrible things you could do with Well of Life storywise...*shudder*

Ever played Sanctum? If you kill enough critters, Skye will actually laugh sadistically, cackle, or taunt the rest of them. The first time I heard it was a bit of a surprise and instantly cemented her 'nature' from then on for me. Imagine you're playing Warframe with that favourite frame of yours and then you hear them say something and either it's something they'd 'never say' or 'not in the way they'd say it'. Total immersion killer.

And, the final issue with voice packs is that there is still the rampant, unrelenting debate on whether we are a single Tenno, Mono-Tenno theory, or multiple Tenno, Poly-Tenno theory. For the sake of consistency, the voice in the Mono-Tenno theory situation would be identical across all frames you use as that's the voice of your Tenno. Poly-Tenno can skirt this to a point, but then it's a question of whether the voices provided for each frame comes anywhere near what you hoped they would be like.

This leaves the problem that in the former, you can have all possible kinds of voices from any frame, which'd be weird as heck if Rhino started talking like a party girl or something; funny,sure, but it'd kill the mood. Poly Tenno just has to 'deal with it' when it comes to some voices being unsatisfactory, and even a simple grunt can be unwelcome. Imagine how...jarring it could be if, after Valkyr uses her Hysteria, she gasps in pain/exhaustion for a split second. Maybe it does actually hurt her to do that, maybe it doesn't...but as it stands currently, we get the final 'say'.

Let your imagination and your ability to RP serve to provide the voice you want, not what other people think would fit best.

Warframes will likely never talk.  Like what some replies have said above, if we put literal voices to the Frames, they would never live up to what different players feel they should sound like.  Everyone has a different view of what their Frame should sound like if they could talk, and leaving that a mystery is part of the fun I think.

In terms of the game silence is better for immersion, but the thing that always bugs me is if in reality the Tenno would be silent still. I mean looking at the frames in terms of not a game character but people.

So for a horrible example, if Warframe had its own movie, would the Tenno in that be silent still? Or would they be given voices for the sake of coherency in the movie.

However for the game it works perfectly. I would never want to hear my Banshee or Nyx speak because it would never match what I imagine their voices to be.

That raises the question will warframes ever show a face. If so it would be cool to customize their face like how DE George said everyone sees them differently.

Probably not going happen either, for the same reason: DE doesn't want to have to give the Tenno a specific ethnicity and stuff.

Warframes will likely never talk.  Like what some replies have said above, if we put literal voices to the Frames, they would never live up to what different players feel they should sound like.  Everyone has a different view of what their Frame should sound like if they could talk, and leaving that a mystery is part of the fun I think.

Will Tenno ever get chairs to sit on in their ship, kneeling like that must be horrible on their back 

Yes, we are talking through ours blades.

For me them being silent might be a gd thing, because i don't see them as human s at all ;) but like some kind of morphing energy that can change gender s at will.

They are a Tenno (a body that can radiate energy) wearing different suits (we go out finding suit parts some suits are female looking some male)

Silent protagonists are always better when it comes to allowing players to identify with their characters.

My thoughts, I totally agree with that :P

^^^^^^^ this a million times, tenno speak with their blades and their actions (for all we know, they communicate to each other telepathically or thru the void somehow, thus how lotus communicates with us)