Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

All This Talk Of 32Bit Winxp Support.

CedarDpg

I want Warframe for my CP/M runnin' 2MHz 8-bit 64k RAM 8080 machine! That thing is a beast in all of its monochrome beauty. Can you give us that version of the program in punch card format?

(Otherwise 8 or 5.25 inch floppies would be fine.)

Edit: Or Warframe for my Mac 128/Apple ][ gs would be ok too.

Edited by CedarDpg

I support discontinuing the support for XP.

Hell, even Microsoft is not supporting it any longer.

Yeah, I'm sure Microsoft is happy they don't have to support it any more. It'll be a while until XP is finally dead though. I have a 32 bit XP machine around for playing games that really don't wanna work correctly more modern hardware. Useful for DOS based games too that won't work on DOSBox. 

(Also, I think part of XP's appeal is how easy it was to pirate compared to the newer versions of Windows.)

Edited by CedarDpg

supporting wXP (more like supporting DX9 at this point) is a noble thing to do.

(Also, I think part of XP's appeal is how easy it was to pirate compared to the newer versions of Windows.)

pls

security is a sham. everything can easily be broken into. there is no such thing as 'secure'. 

You cant play most games without XP try to play starcraft on windows 7 and you will know why!!!!

Also games like uprising 1+2 , battlezone, cnc and more are not working

Dont even ask about playing fallout on windows 7 the screen gets black and you cant see anything every 2 seconds!

Its the same reason im NOT BUYING next Gen crap ... its not backwards compatible!!!

Windows 7 is a real PAIN i have to fiddle around a WEEK to get a simple game to run ... you have to get a 3dfx or voodo graphic card emulator, glide wrappers,inofficial "patches" and more to get a single game to run that simply RUNS in XP without any hassel and even shows the correct colors!!!

Im just HUGELY diasppointet by windows 7 i though that thing could play games ... but i was clearly mistaken as most games in my collection (around 70%) wont run anymore on that lame incompatible OS

Im sorry if i have gotten angry i collected every game in MINT condition and now i cant play them at all ... im thinking about getting a XP Desktop only to play my games!!

Edited by Severuslanskerr

You cant play most games without XP try to play starcraft on windows 7 and you will know why!!!!

Also games like uprising 1+2 , battlezone, cnc and more are not working

Dont even ask about playing fallout on windows 7 the screen gets black and you cant see anything every 2 seconds!

Its the same reason im NOT BUYING next Gen crap ... its not backwards compatible!!!

Windows 7 is a real PAIN i have to fiddle around a WEEK to get a simple game to run ... you have to get a 3dfx or voodo graphic card emulator, glide wrappers,inofficial "patches" and more to get a single game to run that simply RUNS in XP without any hassel and even shows the correct colors!!!

Yeah, that's why I keep an older machine around which runs XP for older games. Well, that, and I like "vintage" machines.

Edited by CedarDpg

Win XP worked fine until this last update.  Should not be forced to by a new computer to play this game

Nobody forces you to buy a new PC. Only new OS.

Besides, discontinuing the support means only that they would not bother with bugs that occur only on Win XP, you'll still be able to play. For quite a while, at least, since after some time game being unplayable on older systems is inevitable.

Win XP worked fine until this last update.  Should not be forced to by a new computer to play this game

No-one's forcing anyone to buy a new computer/OS or to play the game. But yeah, if I only had the option of playing on XP on a geriatric system that couldn't take Win7 or 8, I'd stop playing if a game wouldn't run on it anymore after an update.

Sadly, the most common reason I upgrade my hardware or get a new system is to play a game that won't run on it. Occasionally it's due to hardware failure or flakiness...but mostly it's to play a game. :)

No-one's forcing anyone to buy a new computer/OS or to play the game. But yeah, if I only had the option of playing on XP on a geriatric system that couldn't take Win7 or 8, I'd stop playing if a game wouldn't run on it anymore after an update.

Sadly, the most common reason I upgrade my hardware or get a new system is to play a game that won't run on it. Occasionally it's due to hardware failure or flakiness...but mostly it's to play a game. :)

The reason I am using XP is because it takes less memory and the OS should not suddenly be unable to launch Warframe.  The only drawback of my older system is that it is a 32-bit system and that limits how much memory it can utilize.  I've had no problems until now and it is not gameplay.  Warframe will not launch....

i love windows XP, it was simple, it worked, easy to get.  but the OS is getting really old...  to make company's have to support isnt to much of an issuse unless that company is paying microsoft to make XP machines up to date on stuff for buisness related pratice.  which means that the windows XP they may have vs the windows XP you have may be cause shut updates they are able to get fixed to work on their machine but not yours.

something you could look into is find somebody who is going to college, see if they get student discounts on OS systems (i know a few friends who do) and see if you can get them to buy it for while just using your cash to do it. as some have mention, older software dont tend to support new and new parts coming off the line now and days.  heck, the z97 motherboards were sort lived with the new z99 motherboards that support DDR4 ram (even though its damn near 500 bucks for 15gigs x.x)

nobody said you had to buy all the parts All at ounce.  the computer im using right now, took several months of planning, buying parts, saving up money and long work hours when i could.  sometimes i even go down and donate plasma twice a week for 1st 20/ 2nd 40 bucks to save up money.

even now its not done, but since i started the gpu i was going to get was avg around $680 (gtx 780ti) but has came down ALOT with the interduction of the GTX 970/980 series (right now i was lucky enough that a friend of mine upgraded his gpu and thrown his 560ti to me as high processor tend to have not so great intergraded graphics).  i have now cut my build from 2200 down to near 1900/2000 total.  this doesnt include the OS, which i will be changing to win 7 x64 pro.  and i could have done without a few items (NZXT HUE for example) but you can find sales to buy parts.  and if your system can handle it you might be able to just stick your old HHD/GPU into your system and get a new copy of the OS.  although i am using examples for my computer that i am building, doesnt mean you need to build a 2.2k system just to play warframe.  even a system that cost 500/600 dollars would be able to play this game at a pretty good 60fps or so.

i built my system myself and tested it and have not gone to college to learn about building a computer.  honestly, i went to youtube and watched NZIX/ Linus tech tips/ tech quickie to brush up on my information. (last time i was involved with computer was back when quad cores start to become the new kid on the block and not long after windows xp)  

if you wanna know what i built to get a general idea, OR i could actually through a few system ideas out there.  you know... cyber monday is coming near the end of the month.  never know what good deals you might find that would help you.

sorry about the runaway/ unneed long post guys >.<;  i love computer more every day...

holy fk!  8 hours of countless download retry errors from launcher and i heard the drums.  those drums are the sweetest noise i heard all day today :.)

[DE]Glen himself said in the devstream that he would LOVE to drop windowsXP but there are just way too many players using it.

You don't just cut a notable portion of your consumer base. DE will continue to support windows XP as long as there are enough paying customers from there to justify the extra work. Especially since the devs want to hit a broad range of players, and a good way to do that is making a game that runs smooth and enjoyable on low-end machines. But low end machines and Windows 7 just don't go well together. Granted, better than Win Vista, but still not really desirable.

Besides, a good number of issues for windowsXP with U15 are also related to 32bit systems in general. AND there was the nvidia issue as well. So it was not "just windows XP". Besides, I have not yet seen a 64bit XP user (( and this system exists )) complain about not being able to play Warframe. Of course, I might have missed them reporting it, since I don't comb the forums for every single thing, and WinXP 64bit users are few and far in between.

Heres why XP is still supported and they have to make it work.

https://warframe.com/faq

it may be listed, but people should remember, the more OS that is needed to be supported, the more often company's like Digital extremes and such are going to have bugs, problems, hotfixes that break other parts of the game that was not even a issues as before.  ALSO  if you play on min requirements, you dont have much leeway when the game encounters a problem and has to ramp up in order to power through it.  which can cause it to crash.  even with the 560ti im using, there were times my frame rate dropped to single digits when enemys would desolve and physX was off the charts.

its like this, playing the minimum is like buying a car for $1,000, there will be a point where the car cant keep up or the confines it worked within get alot smaller.  computers, after they hit about 5 or so years old, if they were okish machines at the time, they start degrading in preformance or having hic-up's.  the old computer i build back in 2005, still works, but it has issues.  just turning on is long and difficult. if i tried to run crysis on it like i did back then (which i played, it was barely the min to play it) it would crash and bluescreen the system.

by the way, if you get windows then for a year microsoft should be able to help you with problems.  a fresh install can do wonders.  but having more than 2 different OS on a system if its the same company, may cause issues.  windows 7 is really not that bad.  and if your oppose to something new and learning it, why did you get into computers?

ounce again sorry for this long post, and i apologize if this offended anyone, its my 2 cents.  i would love to hear from you if you see it in a different light.  because i love to learn and hear both sides/multiple sides to things.

btw, when i read the link, i thought that last part had a G at the end instead of a Q.  haha

Games that don't run in newer OS are usually old games that can run on a toaster. Get a Virtual Machine and done, instead of having to deal with a outdated OS for everything.

Does it run correctly in XP Mode on Win7/in a WinXP VM on Win8?

It's just the more of a pain they make it to pirate the OS, the less people do it. The hurdles for XP were a lot lower than for Win 7 or 8, etc.

It is faster to pirate windows 8 because it installs 10x faster, and assuming you know how to internet, you can easily find a pre-activated version.

Omg, it erks me so bad when someone says, "oh yeah since Microsoft doesn't support it anymore anyways".

How many of you really looked to Microsoft for support when you have a computer problem?

How many of you even care about security on your computers.

They are not cutting WinXP support just yet because DE are not a bunch of tools, and they understand that people will probably just quit rather then pay $50+ to upgrade their OS when the game is already F2P.

Also, it is still easy to pirate all Windows operating systems.

Microsoft 7, 8, while they might be more capable with new hardware,

faster even, are just money grabs. Everybody knows this.

They are already onto releasing Windows 9 at the end of the year.

It's more like a f&$#ing hassle what MS is doing these days, rather then building one strong OS.

XP will never die, not really.

Honestly, it might suck for some people but here's the thing, keeping the game windows xp compatible is using resources to what could very well be detrimental to the game in the long run. I mean yeah they were able to incorporate a 64-bit client. But what about when we hit that point in time when windows 7's or vista's systems suddenly become one of the few ways to truly advance the game?

Here's the hard truth:

windows xp was released in 2001, a 13 year lifecycle which was pretty fantastic. windows xp was a simple OS that ran fantastically, but what made it simple also made it limited. For those of you crying about compatibility, try playing 7th legion on XP, without a LOT of tweaking it became a quick disaster, mostly because xp didn't support the older 16-bit systems well.

"well golly gee what does that have to do with this?" I hear you cry.

the same change in basic systems and how they work are moving closer to 64-bit platforms and windows 7/8 systems on a daily basis. With windows xp no longer being supported, it also means that no more directx updates, no more IE updates (which a lot of sites don't even support IE8 anymore), and even to a larger extent no more basic functionality updates to windows xp itself. It will never run any worse, or better than it does right now, and taking a game that's constantly evolving and trying to keep it stuck on an OS frozen is time is going to eventually start to cause major drawbacks to exactly WHAT they can do with the game.

my suggestion: gets windows 7, it's really a great OS. Just stop judging it because you can't run your old dos-based games without dos-box. and for those of you who wanna run windows xp made games, there's an xp SP3 compatibility mode I've not seen many issues with. besides, I'd be surprised if IE8 could hit most websites in a year. also, new parts for computers RARELY put out xp compatible drivers anymore.

It's time to move on, the golden era was great, so lets leave it golden and get on with our lives.