The Lotus Eaters: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Good Game Design Unexpected Effect On Lore.

PookieNumnums

WOW *deep breath*

I'm probably opening up that already opened up huge can of worms, but I think I figured something out.

Im going to work backwards for this one..

There are as you may have seen posts discussing what the Tenno actually are, and how so many frames occupy our liset. The term Equip is used in the arsenal. There are a lot of assumptions and implications one can associate to all things warframe, perhaps thats why we like it so much. The whole discussion about energy being vs flesh and bone. The discussion of genderswapping. 

Few months back our selected warframe just hovered in space. There was no player ship. Origin topics were just that, and didnt involve Us the player really.  

I think that when warframe was being designed they made a smart choice in regard to account management. Lots of games force players to have their characters on different saves. You get the option to have so many 'characters' per account, and theyre individual of eachother. Warframe's developers ultimately made the decision to allow us to purchase slots for more 'characters' under a single account. That is a great thing. Purchases are then shared among all characters. The players dont have to log in and out to play different characters. They made it easy to have everything at your finger tips without having to go back and forth. Sending items between accounts. BLAH BLAH BLAH. You know the routine. 

Bringing this back around: The Tenno are most likely different individuals and DE didnt really anticipate our need to have lore for every single thing in game and logical reasoning behind it. Thus, We are just playing the different characters, and its not some single entity being transferred between the empty frames.

This is all wild speculation but w/e. What do you think? Are we thinking too far into it? 

Edited by T4LCOMX

Image is from a DevStream:

7diZ7je.jpg

^Above is how we fit so many Tenno on one ship (yes, that dot on the right is a Liset). Steve has confirmed, in fact, that we're only seeing a glimpse (as of now) on the scale of the ship. Player ships are actually roughly the size of a Corpus ship, but, seeing as ships were promised in U14, essential modules were gathered into the small space we see now for the time being.

Also, Vor says we are energy, but how does energy bleed? How does energy choke in a vacuum? The answer is simple: it doesn't. Vor was simply using a metaphor.

/thread?

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

Well apparently we're going to get some new, vital lore that will be added to Rhino Prime's Codex entry. I'm just going to wait on that before making any new comments about whether we're one or many Tenno. (I'm still opting for the one Tenno using multiple frames)

http://www.reddit.com/r/Warframe/comments/2ksp3t/we_are_members_of_digital_extremes_and_we_develop/clobwqn

Edited by Liacu

Hmm I never payed much attention to it, from descriptions in game I never got the idea that Tenno are ...people anymore. They were "thrown" into the void just for kicks and they describe as containing whatever came back into warframes.

I don't know, the first mental image that gave me was probably an indescribable higly radioactive lump of goo XD or probably just energy (sentient energy? =O) so at that point whether they look like female or male just really doesn't matter any more so they could easily jump from one suit to another to channel their energy in different ways.

(As always sorry in advance for typos and grammatical horrors)

I take it you haven't seen the last Ordis quip for the

Limbo Theorem questline? 

You can inhabit any Warframe.  You inherit powers from the Warframe you wear, which is shaped after the original wearer.  Think Eldar Phoenix Lords.

91tAmNO.jpg

Well apparently we're going to get some new, vital lore that will be added to Rhino Prime's Codex entry. I'm just going to wait on that before making any new comments about whether we're one or many Tenno. (I'm still opting for the one Tenno using multiple frames)

Can I inquire on how you came across that tidbit? Like anyone who cares for the lore, I'm also quite excited for the official stance, but (IMHO) it does seem to lean towards "Player as Tenno".

^Ordis gives us good info too.

How are we supposed to fit tons of different Tenno on the ship if we have so many Tenno? Why does it say to buy another "warframe" slot if we're buying another character(according to you) and why can we buy more guns and weapon slots then? Shouldn't the "characters we buy" just carry the weapons for us?

Why is it that we ALL share credits? Wouldn't we all get mad at each other for spending credits for a weapon that another "character" doesn't want?

IF they are all unique characters(Poly tenno theorists bring up a semi-good point with the revives) then why do we all share the same ship and death marks? Wouldn't only one of the frames be targeted because the rest are innocent?

Explain why we can't see any other Tenno, outside of their suits, on the ship. Wouldn't they be uncomfortable staying in the suit for so long?

"Oh but the suits r different for each person cuz male & female"

Our Tenno don't HAVE to switch suits at all. Also, given there are more and more signs, explain Hayden Tenno. His suit pretty much grew around him. Who says we can't create our suits around us too and just make it look like it has a golden codpiece or something? There's writing on certain frames and stuff saying Model # __________ I forget what exactly. Why can't we switch from frame to frame though? It's not as if men don't dress like women or women don't dress like men from time to time. Nekros' suit also says Evolve, translated from the Tennobet. Who says we didn't evolve enough to make us able to switch genders at will, or maybe even (re)generate organs at will? We could even have our genders being modified or switched as we swap frames.

Sorry for rant.

TL;DR Explain some questions going against your theories rather than avoiding them.

One major addon/edit: If we can fit our Archwing in our ship, that MUST mean that we also have space to have other Tenno in there too... but then where are they?

Edited by ArcariusAero

Limbo Theorem questline? 

Can I inquire on how you came across that tidbit? Like anyone who cares for the lore, I'm also quite excited for the official stance, but (IMHO) it does seem to lean towards "Player as Tenno".

Limbo was the name of the guy's suit, he created it we get the pieces and call the suit Limbo, so now we add that suit to the wardrobe 

Limbo Theorem questline? 

1) Steve said that that line from the Limbo quest would be edited or removed.

2) Steve also mentioned on a Devstream that someone's theory about the Tenno basically being a brain and spine that get shoved into the suits is not a million miles from the correct answer, and the upcoming lore from Rhino Prime's codex will clarify the situation a bit.

Image is from a DevStream:

7diZ7je.jpg

^Above is how we fit so many Tenno on one ship (yes, that dot on the right is a Liset). Steve has confirmed, in fact, that we're only seeing a glimpse (as of now) on the scale of the ship. Player ships are actually roughly the size of a Corpus ship, but, seeing as ships were promised in U14, essential modules were gathered into the small space we see now for the time being.

Also, Vor says we are energy, but how does energy bleed? How does energy choke in a vacuum? The answer is simple: it doesn't. Vor was simply using a metaphor.

/thread?

i can give you a simple answer the lore dev's of DE got prolly confused them self or just did not have insight of the older lore of warfame its also called "plot hole" and the reason they used the current lisset is because they already created the lisset in the "original dark sector concept"

I certainly can't understand why you people refuse the single tenno idea so much, what is it about it that rub you so much the wrong way?... i just don't get it. But anyway LORE has confirmed MANY times already that we are ONE single tenno, so you can keep starting this tinfoil hat theories as much as you want but LORE has confirmed we are one tenno, it's not an assumption based on mechanics, there are many pieces of LORE that refer to frames as suits.

Edit: typos

Edited by Orbister

Limbo was the name of the guy's suit, he created it we get the pieces and call the suit Limbo, so now we add that suit to the wardrobe 

Umm... I don't see what relevence that has to my post? The idea of the "original" naming the suit isn't all that odd, in the monoTenno sense.

2) Steve also mentioned on a Devstream that someone's theory about the Tenno basically being a brain and spine that get shoved into the suits is not a million miles from the correct answer, and the upcoming lore from Rhino Prime's codex will clarify the situation a bit.

Ah, okay. Again, I would like to know where the "Upcoming Rhino Prime lore" info comes from, since I've apparently missed both of these.

I certainly can't understand why you people refuse the single tenno idea so much, what is it about it that rub you so much the wrong way?... i just don't get it. But anyone LORE has confirmed MANY times already that we are ONE single tenno, so you can keep starting this tinfoil hat theories as much as you want but LORE has confirmed we are one tenno, it's not an assumption based on mechanics, there are many pieces of LORE that refer to frames as suits.

Well, there are many pieces of lore that support the multi-tenno theory as well. It's impossible to conclusively prove either. 

It's all quite ambiguous right now, and I think DE is doing it on purpose. 

Why must it be removed, because it gave us some answers?

^Ordis gives us good info too.

How are we supposed to fit tons of different Tenno on the ship if we have so many Tenno? Why does it say to buy another "warframe" slot if we're buying another character(according to you) and why can we buy more guns and weapon slots then? Shouldn't the "characters we buy" just carry the weapons for us?

Why is it that we ALL share credits? Wouldn't we all get mad at each other for spending credits for a weapon that another "character" doesn't want?

IF they are all unique characters(Poly tenno theorists bring up a semi-good point with the revives) then why do we all share the same ship and death marks? Wouldn't only one of the frames be targeted because the rest are innocent?

Explain why we can't see any other Tenno, outside of their suits, on the ship. Wouldn't they be uncomfortable staying in the suit for so long?

"Oh but the suits r different for each person cuz male & female"

Our Tenno don't HAVE to switch suits at all. Also, given there are more and more signs, explain Hayden Tenno. His suit pretty much grew around him. Who says we can't create our suits around us too and just make it look like it has a golden codpiece or something? There's writing on certain frames and stuff saying Model # __________ I forget what exactly. Why can't we switch from frame to frame though? It's not as if men don't dress like women or women don't dress like men from time to time. Nekros' suit also says Evolve, translated from the Tennobet. Who says we didn't evolve enough to make us able to switch genders at will, or maybe even (re)generate organs at will? We could even have our genders being modified or switched as we swap frames.

Sorry for rant.

TL;DR Explain some questions going against your theories rather than avoiding them.

1)...

7diZ7je.jpg

2)We buy Warframe slots because our ship can only hold so many Warframes.

3) We buy weapon slots because our "arsenal" module can only hold so many. Buying more expands the arsenal module.

4) We share a ship for affiliation. Same reasoning goes for deathmarks; since we fight together as Tenno "characters", we will die together as individual Tenno.

5) We can't see other Tenno because the player ship isn't really finished (see 1)

6) Nekros suit says Evolution, which is a common theme in Tenno culture. Not only do Warframe and darksectOr run on the Evolution engine, but, assuming dS is canon (DE_Megan posted on the forums there were, indeed, direct links in the lore upon release of the protoskin), we're technically an evolved strain of the Technocyte virus - contained by the Warframe, which acts as a magnifying glass for our powers.

/thread?

Given that most lore is based on metaphor and Vor is a texbook zealot, I think this is a safe conclusion.

Edited by Ailith

Well, there are many pieces of lore that support the multi-tenno theory as well. It's impossible to conclusively prove either. 

It's all quite ambiguous right now, and I think DE is doing it on purpose. 

Yes because the words Equip on a warframe and the fact that the lesit is to small to hold 20+ warfrmes isn't enough

Why must it be removed, because it gave us some answers?

If it conflicts with their soon-to-be-declared canon. Retconning isn't that odd.

Yes because the words Equip on a warframe and the fact that the lesit is to small to hold 20+ warfrmes isn't enough

Liset isn't the whole ship, we dock on to an Orbiter compartment. That's what holds the Arsenal, Foundry etc anything past the boarding ramp. 

Edited by Shion963

LORE has confirmed we are one tenno

Where? 

Sargus Ruk: What flesh is within that Warframe?

Lephantis: You are our flesh. Consume us.

...not to mention we breath (life support) and bleed (bleed proc). 

...this confirms we are made of flesh, not pure energy.

That, along with (again), the ship being huge (just not released in full yet, see concept art above), leads me to believe a poly-tenno theory. 

DE has yet to confirm or deny any claims yet (as far as I know. If they have, please cite their answer), so I think this topic should lay at rest until further lore is released.

liset is to small to hold 20+ warfrmes isn't enough

FTFY and...please...please...see the above concept art. Steve has confirmed that the ship is larger than we see. ORDIS calls this (currently inaccessible) part of the ship the orbiter module in a transmission.

Edited by (PS4)NearlyDedicated

If it conflicts with their soon-to-be-declared canon. Retconning isn't that odd.

I guess, still rubs me the wrong way that people hate the I am one tenno using different suits in different situations theory. The male/ female thing is just the suit maybe it is just a Tenno design choice on what looks best

/thread?

You should consider bio-mechanical constructs before writing off that machinery or biologically-generated materials lack blood or a circulatory system.

Where? 

Sargus Ruk: What flesh is within that Warframe?

Lephantis: You are our flesh. Consume us.

...not to mention we breath (life support) and bleed (bleed proc). 

...this confirms we are made of flesh, not pure energy.

That, along with (again), the ship being huge (just not released in full yet, see concept art above), leads me to believe a poly-tenno theory. 

DE has yet to confirm or deny any claims yet (as far as I know. If they have, please cite their answer), so I think this topic should lay at rest until further lore is released.

FTFY and...please...please...see the above concept art. Steve has confirmed that the ship is larger than we see. ORDIS calls this (currently inaccessible) part of the ship the orbiter module in a transmission.

You poly Tenno people come out of the woodwork 0.o why can't I be a lone Tenno gathering weaponized suits to fight me enemies with (the whole revive thing is how much of a beating that suit can take before it needs repairs, yes I can fight with a damaged suit but there are dire risks "dieing" in battle)

You poly Tenno people come out of the woodwork 0.o why can't I be a lone Tenno gathering weaponized suits to fight me enemies with (the whole revive thing is how much of a beating that suit can take before it needs repairs, yes I can fight with a damaged suit but there are dire risks "dieing" in battle)

You can be. I suppose I may have come off a little strong in this topic x) I think that's why DE has yet to confirm or deny any theory on this. They want it to be open ended.

You should consider bio-mechanical constructs before writing off that machinery or biologically-generated materials lack blood or a circulatory system.

I suppose this could be. I still think it's poly-tenno. To each their own! :D

I guess, still rubs me the wrong way that people hate the I am one tenno using different suits in different situations theory. The male/ female thing is just the suit maybe it is just a Tenno design choice on what looks best

Different people have different opinions, I personally don't see a reason to hate the polyTenno subscribers just because I'm more partial to monoTenno. If they hate you for it, it's their loss for not being able to see from the other side of things.

IMHO if the DEvs make it canon and provide lore backing it (or at least recorded designer intent), then it's canon. Personal view doesn't exactly matter for established canon.